mtbr member
    Nov 2009

After 20 years off the bike I just purchased a Chumba Racing 29 inch Mountain Bike

Hi,

I've just, after 20 years off the bike picked up a 29 inch Mountain Bike and have started riding again.

I've been riding it to and from work - about 15 miles each way for a month and last night I strapped the ay-up lights on and took to the trails for a night ride. I have to say, the trails seem smoother than they were in the 80's.

Can anyone please share some tricky and tips for a middle aged fat out of breath old man?

Rediscovered
    Quote Originally Posted by OldCranky
    Can anyone please share some tricky and tips for a middle aged fat out of breath old man?
    Just ride.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    quit smoking and drinking, too.
    eat less meat, drink more water,
    sex life will improve too

Life is Go0d!
    Chumba makes a 29uh? Its manlaw, that pictures be posted of such things. The only tips that are worth mentioning are, the trails will get you in better shape than the commute.. but the commute is still good.
    The only regrets in life, are the risks you didn't take.

mtbr member
    Say what? A Chuma 29er? Anyway, have fun.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    really having fun riding my hx2!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rediscovered
    Gorgeous bike.

The HX2 is a really nice frame, I'm partial to the red, but the blue looks great too.

mtbr member
    For some reason, I thought we were talking about a FS 29er. 29er HTs are definitely a huge step for some than 26er HTs though I am partial to Steel and Ti.

is buachail foighneach me
    Quote Originally Posted by OldCranky
    Hi,

I've just, after 20 years off the bike picked up a 29 inch Mountain Bike and have started riding again.

I've been riding it to and from work - about 15 miles each way for a month and last night I strapped the ay-up lights on and took to the trails for a night ride. I have to say, the trails seem smoother than they were in the 80's.

Just ride. Your body will catch up eventually. And, it is very important that you don't skip out on the post ride recovery beer. Germany has proven that it's a valuable training aid.

Photos of the bike are mandatory though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyf
    really having fun riding my hx2!
    That thing is sweet. The Chumba should get more mention in threads that mention the likes of the Simon Bar, the Paradox, etc. etc. Looks like it would ride just fine with 100 to 120mm of new offset fork travel up front.

mtbr member
    now add 120-140mm suspension to the frame with 12mm maxle and I'm done

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidcopperfield
    now add 120-140mm suspension to the frame with 12mm maxle and I'm done
    No entiendo mi amigo.

Working Man's Toilet
    Sweet Chumba- I like the red blue combo

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach
    Just ride. Your body will catch up eventually. And, it is very important that you don't skip out on the post ride recovery beer. Germany has proven that it's a valuable training aid.

Photos of the bike are mandatory though.
    xlnt advice

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueMountain
    For some reason, I thought we were talking about a FS 29er. 29er HTs are definitely a huge step for some than 26er HTs though I am partial to Steel and Ti.
    Why? I've had only what people are calling cross cycles. Back in the 80's it was just a roadbike with fat tires now its got some trendy name . But what ever I once rode 700c now it's called 29 inch. Are the 26 inch wheeled bikes hard to ride?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I am somewhat in the same shoes. Seems like I spent my entire youth other than school either in a pool swimming laps or on a bike having fun.

Due to health issues with my family tree I have recently begun to see a Dr. concerning my future health outlook. He was very dismayed to say the least about several aspects of how I currently treat my body. Long & short, it was time to get un-sedentary. I am 6,0" & 208lbs currently w a fairly athletic build.

Running is out of the question for several reasons & I think the only activity I can even imagine enjoying is any form of cycling other than roadbikes.

I last built a bike 30 years ago when I put my BMX dream bike together. (still have it, thanks Dad!) Current build is a size medium Vassago Jabberwocky that will be completed in the next few days. Overkill for my needs to be sure , but I am hoping that it will help keep my interest level suitably high.

Have had a good time so far & have not even been on the bike yet!

It will certainly be ready in time for a visit in 10 days by my new Brother In Law, who is an exercise demon. He is Italian & thinks nothing of hopping on one of his bikes to get to work in 20 degrees & snow in his native town of Pavia. Sometimes he even prefers to run!
    Last edited by damon09; 11-13-2009 at 01:57 AM.