mtbr member

Advise from ppl riding Trek g2 geo frames.

Trek Marlin 29er '13

Here's the issue. My skill has grown a lot since I bought this bike, partially cause of confidence while riding rest because of getting in better shape and learning. So I'm faster on the trails by a lot. But I'm having to scrub too much speed to make tight turns. Used to ride a Walmart 26" and it at least was nibble as hell. I expect being just shear overall size increase tighter areas I'm going to have to go a bit slower and wider line when cornering but i want to see if I can pull a little better cornering out of it. Just not responsive enough imo now.

Soon after i bought the bike i change the bars and stem. Felt a tad stretched. So went from 105mm 10deg stock stem to 8deg 90mm and from 620mm bars to 640mm with less sweep. Made things much more comfortable.

Would dropping to say a 70mm stem and wider bars give me more response but keep it from getting "twitchy". I've searched and read but being g2 is different than norm I wanted to make sure I'd gain the same effects as if it was non-g2

Baby on the way so buy,test multiple stems/bars not really an option.

Thnx in advance.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I don't think a shorter stem is going to keep you from having to scrub speed in corners. It may require less input to turn the bar, but I don't think that's your problem here. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so instead of asking a bunch of questions, I would be interested in seeing a pic of your bike taken from the side to help spot any obvious issues that might contribute to it not cornering as tightly as you think it should.

A shorter stem will make the bar turn quicker, but it will also tend to put less weight over the front wheel with you in a proper attack position. One of the things I will look for in a side pic of the bike is the overall height of the handlebar, and the height relative to the saddle. As I mentioned, getting weight onto the front wheel will help it hold it's line in the turns, and IME, even seemingly small drops in handlebar height can be felt in the turns.

G2 or non-G2, the same principles apply here.

Get to dah choppah
    - Lower the stem on the steerer tube by placing the spacers on top of the stem or flip the stem so that it angles down. Both obviously free.
    - Use better/wider/more agressive tires at the approprite pressure. The stock tires on your bike are not so good at pretty much anything. With any of these, you will be able to corner far better (if not steer more quickly) than with what you have.

Karmas are nice and light and not expensive

Universal Cycles -- Kenda Karma 29" Tire

Smart Sam's are also, um, Smart and people will think you know what you're doing since they say Schwalbe on them

Universal Cycles -- Schwalbe Smart Sam Performance 29" Tire

Or Bronsons

Universal Cycles -- WTB Bronson Comp 29er Tire
    Santa Cruz TBc
    Pivot 429c

mtbr member

Re: Advise from ppl riding Trek g2 geo frames.

Ask and u shall receive. Had to smile I run karmas front and rear lol.

Also its not traction (that i can tell) I don't push in the corners that I notice anyway, just maybe its me learning and not moving bars/leaning enough. Only time I slide the front is my riding error and puts me face down in the dirt lol.

Last edited by tigris99; 07-17-2013 at 11:23 PM.
    Trek Marlin 29er

R.I.P. DogFriend
    The first thing I see is several spacers between the stem and the headset (in addition to the riser bar). I would try swapping all but one of them to the top of the stem to see how it handles with the lower handlebar height. Of course, there are usually pros and cons to all adjustments, and you may not love the riding position with the stem lowered while seated and climbing or spinning on flat ground.

If you're not pushing in the corners, why do you feel the need to scrub off speed? What would happen if you didn't scrub off the speed?

And, all I know is what I see in the pics, so: If you're generally seated like you are in the pic on the wooden feature, I would advise getting up out of the saddle and into more of an 'attack' position when negotiating turns at speed or descending uneven terrain. The faster you ride, the more important this is for maintaining control. Your arms and legs are the most important suspension pieces you have. You also need to shift your weight fore and aft, and be able to lean the bike into corners on flatter turns, and lean both you and your bike in bermed turns.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Ditto what these guys are saying. Also, whilst turning from the attack position, you should be leaning the bike into the turn, not your body. Keeping your weight on the outside pedal (in the 6 o'clock position) and using that technique you should be able to pick up some speed along with the cockpit changes suggested. I also am curious why you say you need to scrub speed if you are not pushing the tire. Are you saying that you are going as fast as you can without doing so? Another thing that helped me a lot to improve cornering was using a wider tire up front. Not sure what you have on there now, but at least a 2.2 is a good starting point, I prefer wider though.

edit: might want to check out some online skills videos too...

mtbr member

Guess ya that's the thing, feel I have too in many cases or I'm going to slide and wreck (done it a couple times).

Seems I was looking at it wrong, most of it is technique and a little set up. Part of bar setting is cause my one wrist has had 2 surgeries due to injuries so atm that was the most comfortable when riding for long periods.

Im in the seat more than I should me probably, I'm only out of it on technical and descending.

So ill work on technique (though when I am up I do lean properly it seems, lean bike on flat lean me and bike on burm). As well as ill see about dropping my stem lower if it bothers my wrist.

Thnx for the help here guys, much appreciated and happy to see money isn't needed to help this, just need to start working on proper technique and cockpit set up more than anything.

Trek Marlin 29er

mtbr member

Aight so I took 20mm of spacer out from under the stem.... Thnx for pointing that out!

And there was some of my issue, didn't know it till now but was a noticable difference just on the pavement/gravel i went for a quick ride on today. Feels more "balanced" like my weight is more even and shifting it is more noticed. Was a bit different turning at speed on gravel cause rear came loose before front, usually front would drift first then I'd shift weight a bit and both would slide a bit. I always just figured "hell its gravel traction is void on this anyway". Did feel "nose light" especially when climbing, but climbing hills back up to my house front was more point and shoot, no wondering which i thought was because I sit and spin (long ass series of hills).

I'll get her on the trails this weekend see how it does and report back.

Ps: ride today was my normal loop around town I ride at max pace (max safe heart rate) and wrist is fine, no soreness or numbness/tingling so even better cause if i like it on trails I can leave it this way all the time.

Trek Marlin 29er

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Well, you knocked out the first thing I was thinking. On both of my 29ners, I've had to adjust the spacing up front to feel comfortable. Glad it looks like its going to help!

In addition, what I found out rather quickly in adjusting to the wheel size is that I had to lean the bike more in corners than I did with my 26ers. It took a few rides to adjust but once I figured it out, the things FLY around corners. For me, it was just that slight technique change that changed my ability in the corners. Lean that bike a bit more than you used to and she may open up for you a bit.

mtbr member

Aight got out to the trails today.....

Well got my confidence back on the corners!!! Actually made me over confident and made a rookie mistake on a ladder bridge that cost me a front wheel wasn't much of a fall I used the bike to take the hit and bailed trail side. Bit sore but 2 month old wheel is trashed.

Upside, got a slx hub, spokes for reference and wheel alone isnt bad priced...so get my feet wet to build a wheel. Got a new wheel with cheaper hub and machine built just cause i don't wanna go back to stock wheel.

Trek Marlin 29er

mtbr member

Wanted to update now tat I got some riding in.

Ok wo that helped too much lol, made front overly touchy at speed made for a wild ride though. Found problem overall.

Bars too high to try and fix real problem, too streched out. By lowering stem low speed handling was way better but at higher speeds was too responsive and i am nose heavy.

So longer bars and down to 70mm stem and like a different bike. I'm more comfortable and balanced now. Plus have the lower speed control I wanted and smoothed out higher speeds.

Summary, you guys were right on the money just from pics, nice! Fixed my riding position so bike fits properly now and now its beautiful to ride.

Thnx.

Trek Marlin 29er