Paste eater

advise me on rim/spokes for my better 1/2

specs:
    Sex:Female
    Weight:125lbs
    Bike: TallboyLT
    Home Turf: Moab, UT

She's a strong rider. It's her only bike now. We were tossing around the WTB Frequency i19, Stans Crest but now thinking that the Arch EX might be a better choice for durability with a reasonable weight penalty. Not really a spoke expert but hope pro 2 evos will be the hubs. That's not changing.

Tanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

advise me on rim/spokes for my better 1/2

At 125lbs she should be fine on anything. I would take a chance on the crests and if she does manage to dent up the sidewall then replace with an arch. Or the Pacenti rims, I haven't tried them yet but will with my next wheel build. They should be a nice compromise between the crest and arch.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    specs:
    Sex:Female
    Weight:125lbs
    Bike: TallboyLT
    Home Turf: Moab, UT

She's a strong rider. It's her only bike now. We were tossing around the WTB Frequency i19, Stans Crest but now thinking that the Arch EX might be a better choice for durability with a reasonable weight penalty. Not really a spoke expert but hope pro 2 evos will be the hubs. That's not changing.

Tanks.
    Taking all of the above into account, especially the nature of your backyard trails, I'd skip the Crests (for durability reasons) and the i19's (for lack of width reasons) and look at the Pacenti TL28 or Stans Arch EX. Either one is a good choice, with the Pacenti being slightly lighter and commensurately easier to dent. High volume tires at reasonable pressures should make this mostly a non-issue for a ~125# rider.

Given my druthers, I'd lace them with DT SuperComps.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Do you want UST/Tubeless ready tires or standard clinchers run tubeless? I'd make that decision first.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    My ArchEx wheelsets are both laced with SuperComps. I am replacing the aluminum nips with brass. The aluminum nipples have snapped when adjusting after 1 year.

Chairman of the Beard
    I find my Arch EX rims to be very flexy at 200 pounds (230 lb weight limit), but at 125 I'd lace Stan's Crests (190lb weight limit) up with DT Revolutions and let her go to town.

I wish my wife would start riding so I could build her up the weight weenie-est of bikes and not have to worry about durability.
    The correct number of bikes one should own is N+1, where N is the number of bikes currently owned.