mtbr member
    Jul 2009

advice on what 29er - hardtail or FS

So I'm in the market for a new bike. I live in NC where there are some reasonably technical single track with moderate elevation change, but largely roots and bumps along the trail.

I've either rode bikes with no suspension or full suspension and all are 26 in wheels. No suspension is no longer an option and my Santa Cruz Blur LT (long-travel) has way more travel (nearly 6 inches) than necessary and i get a bit of suspension induced bob when starting to climb. My thought originally was it would be adequate to get a 29er hardtail with the logic being the larger wheel would cope with the roots and bumps. However, the more I toil over this the more I'm considering a FS Trail bike with about 100mm of travel and have the best of both worlds. Thoughts?

I've ruled out carbonfiber as I want something that will last (and still look clean) 10 years from now. I keep my bikes for a long time. My current thoughts are Moots Mooto X RSL or MX Divide. again, thoughts?

mtbr member
    If your gonna do some all mountain id think about something with around 120mm travel. Unless you are doing more XC stuff. I have the new Hobgoblin XO and its awesome on XC stuff and takes roots and technical stuff. But im in florida so mostly flat! LOL That New Giant Trance is a nice bike! The Moots RSL I like!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks. I will do very little all mountain, and I plan to keep my Santa Cruz for that...assuming my wife allows me to keep it. I do mostly XC around here.