mtbr member
    May 2013

Advice about Ghost SE 2970

Hi there,

I'm in my mid 30s, trying to decide onto a new bike after a decade long brake. I plan to ride mostly on light to intermediate trails on weekends (nothing too technical) and use it to commute to work on roads/urban trails during the week.

I was wondering if someone can tell me anything about the Ghost brand and their parts below? I cannot seem to find any decent review of this new bike model. This is what it say on their website:

Ghost SE 2970
    The 29'er wheels have the mechanics of size to help them maintain momentum and roll smoothly over rough trails. Large scale disc brakes control your velocity and premium Shimano® components provide fast reliable shifting so you can pinpoint your focus on the curves and swerves ahead.

- 7000 series aluminum frame is strong and durable, while keeping the weight low and the cost reasonable.
    - Tapered head tube is wider at the bottom for better force transfer from the fork to the frame. The increased stiffness offers direct, reactive steering.
    - Continuous cable housing so dirt and grit can't get in to affect shifting performance.
    - Bikes are covered by MEC's Rock Solid Guarantee and Bike Service Agreement. You can bring your bike to any MEC Bike Shop for free adjustments and minor maintenance for a year after purchase.
    - Ghost Bikes are designed in Waldsassen, Germany. Every model reflects a deep passion for cycling and meticulous attention to detail. (Made in Taiwan).

Weight 13.98kg (48 cm)
    Geometry Mountain
    Frame Ghost SE 29 7005 DB aluminum
    Fork RockShox XC 32 PopLoc
    Stem Ghost light AS-007N 31.8mm
    Seatpost Ghost light SP DC
    Headset Ritchey tapered
    Handlebars Ghost Flat light 31.8mm
    Front Travel 100mm
    Grips/Tape Ghost lock-on
    Brakes Shimano M395 (hydraulic disc)
    Brake Levers Shimano M395 Disc
    Shifters Shimano SLX SL
    Derailleur (Front) Shimano SLX
    Derailleur (Rear) Shimano XT
    Crank + Rings Shimano FCM 552 42-32-24T
    Bottom Bracket Shimano BB-51 BSA
    Pedals Sold separately
    Hub (Front) Shimano 435 Disc
    Hub (Rear) Shimano 435 Disc
    Cassette SRAM PG 1030 10-speed 11-36T
    Spokes DT Competition
    Rims Ryde Taurus
    Tires Schwalbe Smart Sam 29 x 2.1
    Saddle Ghost VL 1535
    Ghost SE 2970 Bicycle (Unisex) - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

I was also thinking about Airborne Goblin - it seems great, but it has an extra $300 shipping charge to Canada, so I am leaning towards the Ghost, since my budget is $1300.
    Airborne Goblin 29er Hardtail Reviews

I would like to hear any opinions about the Ghost frames, this fork, and brakes. How do these breaks compare to Goblin ones? Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you for your time in advance.
    Cheers.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    The Goblin is a much better bike compared to 'this' Ghost bike. But, adding $300.00 would mean no way to me. If you are looking to order online, Bikes Direct would be better....unless it also costs $300.00 also. Your local LBS not having anything you like?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    You could get the Airborne shipped to a border town and go pick it up. Get it dirty and you might even get away without taxes and duty. Stay the weekend.
    If you got it shipped or bring it across properly, there will be 13% duty and taxes. Plus essentially you would have no warranty.
    The Ghost is $1300 at CRC so the MEC price is in line - plus MEC is great. IMHO it sounds comparable to a Trek X-Caliber and it would run you 14-1500.
    What about used? There are always lots of hardtails for sale used and if you know what you are doing, there's not that much on a hardtail to go wrong.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thank you guys for an advice. Local store has only a Kahuna for $1200 with much lower QL parts, so no - thanks. As for buying used ones... with my luck, I would be afraid of getting a stolen one (considering how many bikes are stolen every day in Vancouver), so I'm not even going to look into that.

I've looked at BD and it seems that ordering Gravity 29Point5 (Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity 29Point5 29er Mountain Bikes), picking it up from across the border and paying duty will end up cheaper than doing the same with Goblin. Also some of the parts seem better (minus the wheels and depending how much of the true equivalent this frame really is to the Trek one).

Thank you very much for taking the time!
    Hopefully see you on the trails in the month or so.
    Cheers.