mtbr member

Acros AH 06 issues

I have an Acros AH 06 headset on my dambala. I picked it up because I knew I'm hard on headsets, they say it's rated for freeriding, so I figured it would be dependable for the rough cross country trails around here on a rigid bike. So, after a bit of riding the headset developed a little play. I had the shop tighten it up. However, I could still feel a tiny tiny bit of back and forth play when rocking the fork back and forth. I figured it was okay though, and that I should stop worrying about it. A couple of rides later on rocky stuff, I noticed with bigger hits, the headset would sometimes knock, like it was getting knocked out of place. I'm not too worried, but at this point I'm considering replacing the bearings in the headset or buying a cheaper, sturdier headset (like a FSA Pig (or Pig DH) headset). I'm not that upset that the headset isn't perfect, despite it's so new. I am pretty heavy (around 200 pounds) and I haven't taken it easy on the bike. I've tried adjusting the bearings since it's started knocking, but I don't have a lot of faith I can totally solve the problem with bearing adjustments any more.

Does anyone know what size of sealed bearings the Acros AH06 takes or where you can get replacements in Canada? I just fired off an email to Acros in germany, but I don't know if they'll get back to me.

Er, as a side note, I am rather neurotic when it comes to headsets. I have had two different threadless headsets in the past that developed chronic knocking, that despite the best efforts of many, eventually had to be replaced. I usually do all of my repairs on my bikes, but I almost always get someone else to adjust headsets for me.

the train keeps rollin
    Remove a bearing, the size is usually stamped on it.
    beaver hunt