mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Access XCL or Generic Chinese carbon ? Which one should I go with.

I have an Access XCL frame. I've been happy with it. It's gotten great reviews, relatively light weight around 3.34lbs for the medium. I have a decent On-one carbon rigid fork on it and a decent set of Velocity VCX wheels. I run it as a 1x9, it is fairly minimilist and fine, but while it's fun to ride, it doesn't give me that warm fuzzy feeling when I see it that I get when I see my custom painted, top-end cervelo road bike. It is a plain workhorse.

I've been flirting with the idea of getting the Ltk-023 chinese carbon frame, which has gotten great reviews as well and is dead sexy and light. I'm on a budget after moving into a new house and with the wife pushing for a new patio, my funds are not endless.

My choices are:

1. Keep the Access. Strip off the black paint with large "ACCESS" label and go raw. Upgrade to a used niner rigid fork about 1lb lighter than what I have for $250 and maybe a sharper wheelset, like the Easton EA 70 XC wheelset to jazz it up and lighten it up for another $300.

or

2. Chinese carbon frame, with matching carbon rigid fork. Frame drops 1lb as does the fork. Cost $500. Keep wheels and other components to put on the chinese frame.

Thoughts?

steel is real...heavy
    Nov 2005

Re: Access XCL or Generic Chinese carbon ? Which one should I go with.

So you can walk backwards pretty well? I would go for the carbon. It will satisfy the bike lust longer than keeping the access.
    South Central PA

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I guess you get the name. Penn Stater? I think you're right in the long run. Even if it might not be the more practical move, probably result in less upgrading etc over time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    As someone who just built a Chinese carbon with rigid fork I say go with the carbon. The frame is every bit as good as a $1500 name brand frame.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    access made a stealth frame. performance closed them out super cheap so if some is selling theirs the price should be low. I just bought one used with full xt for 1200. you can also find flyxii or hongfu frames on craigslist. a person in tempe is selling one for $195

mtbr member
    My Access frame handled like crap. No matter how it was set up it handled like a tractor trailer.

I'd definitely lean towards the carbon if it's got better geometry.