mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Access Stealth 3.0 worth it?

I am gonna be getting a new bike and I am a little inclined into getting a bike from performance. here is a link

It is on sale right now for $1799. and 10% for being a member. it has shimano slx parts and stans flow rims. Is it a good deal? or should I look somewhere else? thanks

I guess I can't put links on my post yet so here is the specs

BOTTOM BRACKET: Shimano SLX
    BRAKES: Shimano SLX hydraulic disc brakes, 180mm rotor front, 160mm rotor rear
    CASSETTE: Shimano SLX HG81, 10-speed
    CHAIN: Shimano HG74 super-narrow for mtb, 10-speed
    CRANKSET: Shimano SLX, 42X32X24T, S-170mm, M-172.5mm, L-175mm
    FORK: Fox 32 F29 RL 100 travel
    FRAME: Monocoque 12k weave carbon
    FRONT DERAILLEUR: Shimano SLX
    GRIPS/TAPE: Velo dual-density
    HANDLEBAR: Alloy, S-580mm, M-600mm, L-620mm
    HEADSET: Orbit IS IS-2 ACB 1 1/8" integrated
    LEVERS: Shimano SLX, 10-speed
    PEDALS: NA
    REAR DERAILLEUR: Shimano SLX 10-speed
    REAR SHOCK: NA
    SADDLE: Fizik Gobi XM with manganese rails
    SEATPOST: Alloy, 31.6, S-300mm, M-300mm, L-350mm
    SHIFTERS: Shimano SLX, 3-speed
    STEM: Alloy 3D Forged; S-90mm, M-100mm, L-110mm; 31.8 clamp diameter
    TIRES: Stan's The Raven, 29X2.2,tubeless-ready, folding
    WHEELSET: Stan's ZTR Flow 29" rims with Joy alloy disc hubs

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    i saw this too and looked decent...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I also saw another bike online an orbea alma h30 for about the same price, which is better? any other opinions? pls? thnx

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I test rode this bike last week. It had a good ride, nice responsiveness, seemed stiff enough for anyone. If you're in Denver, they have it on display and to test ride over at the Colorado Blvd store.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Usually people get sette, Novara(REI), performance bike for the package, and then sell the frame for a better frame, resulting in a pretty nice bike for cheap.

With that in mind, I tried to stay away from the higher end Performance carbon fiber frame. They dont have much resell value. If that is ok with you though, then its a ok deal I suppose.

Everyone thinks differently, but I have done this in the past and only rode the original frame for a year. After swapping parts, I end up with a Santa Cruz and XT components for about $1000 less.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Loll View Post
    Usually people get sette, Novara(REI), performance bike for the package, and then sell the frame for a better frame, resulting in a pretty nice bike for cheap.

With that in mind, I tried to stay away from the higher end Performance carbon fiber frame. They dont have much resell value. If that is ok with you though, then its a ok deal I suppose.

Everyone thinks differently, but I have done this in the past and only rode the original frame for a year. After swapping parts, I end up with a Santa Cruz and XT components for about $1000 less.
    Cool thanks for the tips, but can you elaborate how I can accomplish this? I do want to get a better bike for less money. So a sub $1000 bike with xt parts with be my new goal..

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I started looking at this and the aluminum prowler version bike pretty close just now. It has a full SLX build including brakes, cranks, bottom bracket, cassete, etc, with the Fox fork and Stans Flow wheels. Sounds pretty sweet, especially as a base to use the parts for a full suspension frame later.

Only big downside I see is the 9mm QR fork and hubs up front.

Couple of questions:
    1. Are the SLX cranks and bottom bracket a lot better than the usual TruVativ or similar you see on the access bikes?
    2. Does anybody know of any stackable coupons that will work right now on bikes at performance? That would sweeten either deal up.
    3. How much is the current going rate for a access prowler frame and the carbon stealth frame? I see the older XCL frames go for $150-$200 still.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bmxrocksya View Post
    Cool thanks for the tips, but can you elaborate how I can accomplish this? I do want to get a better bike for less money. So a sub $1000 bike with xt parts with be my new goal..
    What I did:

Brought from performance bike a Giant FR bike from previous year. It was mid year the following year so I got a 45% off deal. End up being something like 1500 or so.

Rode that frame for a year. Picked up a Santa Cruz Bullit from Cambria Bike.com for 1k. Swap all the parts over. Sold the giant frame for $250. So my bullit in theory cost 2250 or so. On Santa Cruz site a full XT bullit easily goes for 3+k.

I suppose your carbon performance frame will be worth a little bit more on craigslist just because it is carbon, but in general used performance frames are about as exciting as buying a used Kia.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Loll View Post
    What I did:

Brought from performance bike a Giant FR bike from previous year. It was mid year the following year so I got a 45% off deal. End up being something like 1500 or so.

Rode that frame for a year. Picked up a Santa Cruz Bullit from Cambria Bike.com for 1k. Swap all the parts over. Sold the giant frame for $250. So my bullit in theory cost 2250 or so. On Santa Cruz site a full XT bullit easily goes for 3+k.

I suppose your carbon performance frame will be worth a little bit more on craigslist just because it is carbon, but in general used performance frames are about as exciting as buying a used Kia.
    Thanks, I am not set on getting the access, just posting here to see what people think. So far I am looking at an Orbea alma h30, trek x-caliber, flash 29er. I would do more research (fun for me) so I will end up with the best possible bike for my hard earned money. Thanks for all the replies.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I just got back from performance bikes and aside from the sale price of $1799. they are doing double points, so basically $360 back in store credit for other items.. I think I am gonna pull the trigger..

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    i cant (yet) create a new thread, so i was wondering if someone could help me.

i need a mountainbike (i am staying here for a semi-long time and not having a bike is not an option), i have a 26er FS and a Roadbike at home, so i decided to go for a 29er HT. I haven't decided on my budget, i am thinking either something lower end (<1000) or a nice one (2500+), the lower one would be wiser.

are there alternatives to the "Access XCL 9.5 29er" (cant post a link)?

i know the market in europe, there are some bike producers who dont rely on shop but sell online and can therefore offer better components for the same price. unfortunately i am not really able to find them, beside from performancebikes. used bikes arent really an option.

the upper bike would be ok, but my size isnt available. i found one Scale 29er for 900, but its not possible to be sent.

your help is appreciated,

cheers
    chris

workin' it Administrator
    what about on-one? or order from chain reaction cycles?
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    what about on-one? or order from chain reaction cycles?
    thanks, in the meanwhile i also found bikedirect (with all their brands), still having a hard time not to look for the X9+ carbon bikes, but go for the lower end ones. so tough riding a 30lbs thing uphill...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fifilein View Post
    so tough riding a 30lbs thing uphill...

I have a much bigger challenge carrying my fat 210lbs uphill then whatever my bike weighs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Access Stealth 3.0 even cheaper now

Peformance is selling the Access Stealth 3.0 for $1599 now. I did a quick check of the major components (SLX components, Fork, Wheels, Tires) and they add up to over $2800. That's not even giving the frame, seat, bars, and all the other bits and pieces a dollar value. It looks like a fun extra bike to have around to me. Having trouble seeing the downside here.

Low Rep Count
    Honestly, I have owned 3 different Access frames, all alu. The most recent was purchased for my wife so that one doesn't really count. I agree that the resale value of a used Access frame is not as high as say that of a Giant. However, I rode my first one for over 8 years (bought it from Super Go before Perf bought them out) before buying the second one which I have now had for 8+ years. I still have it though it is just sitting in the attic (kept it as a spare should I ever need it). Never had a problemw ith any of them. They aren't as light as other Alu frames mind you but Performance usually does a good job of taking care of their customers and I think that says a lot when you are looking at a cheaper product.

I currently have a Motobecane that basically came from Bikesdirect. Again, the frame has served me well for the past year but I doubt I could sell it for much of anything simply because it is a cheap frame. But the idea of buying a cheaper frame with sweet parts on it is a great idea. It will give you something to ride while you save up a little more cash for a nicer bike (that may consist of a nicer frame with cheaper parts) at which point you can swap the parts out, sell what you don't want and make back a little bit of your money.

I have seen the carbon Access frame and think it is pretty nice. So many of the carbon frames or frames in general are actually made in the same area if not the same factory that it is just ridiculous. Sure the Name brand guys have propriatary geo or weave configuration/layup but don't you think some of that technology has trickled down to the lower ends or off brand names by now???? There is a whole Chinese carbon frame thread going and there aren't a whole lot of disappointed customers.

I don't think you can go wrong with that sort of deal. The SLX parts are holding up really well from what I hear and I'm sure the frame will serve you well. Add in the fact that you will get all your Perf bonus bucks into the equation and they are actually giving you free 5hi7! Lots of it at that!

Low Rep Count
    Here's a link to the Access 3.0 for you:
    2011 Access Stealth 3.0 29er Mountain Bike - Mountain Bikes

Here's a better deal imo:

SRAM X9, 3x10 Speed 29er Titanium Front Suspension Mountain Bikes - MTB - 2011 Motobecane Fantom Titanium 29er | SRAM X9 hardtail mountain bikes | Save up to 60% off list prices on new bicycles

granted you don't get any bonus bucks but you do get a ti frame which will last you quite a while and decent enough parts. You can check out the Motobecane section to read up on some of the threads about this bike/frame. From what I have seen, all the owners have been quite pleased with them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I agree that in most things that you buy (house, car, stock, etc) you should think about resale value. However, I don't think about this when it comes to bikes.

If you outgrow a frame/component then you can keep the rest and upgrade what you outgrown. This will keep you feeling giddy about buying something new with little effect to your wallet. Buy an Access, gradually upgrade components, rims, tires, etc, then when you have done all of that then change out all of the parts to a new frame.

FYI, I still have my 2004 Yeti ASR SL. I have slowly upgraded all of the parts since 2004 and am still happy with my Yeti. I plan on moving all of the parts to a 29er frame and fork. I already have wheelset and other parts. If I find that 29er or just the frame is not for me then I can switch all of the parts back to the Yeti and sell the frame. Man, I feel like I should charge all of you for typing this.

Lusus Naturae
    Is it just me or does that sweet Fox fork on the Stealth 3.0 actually have remote lockout too?

mtbr member
    Yep, 2 of my buddies have em' and they have the remote on the fork..it works great.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    I'll second the idea that Performance takes very good care of their customers.....
    "Caught my first tube this morning....sir!"

mtbr member
    Saw this bike has dropped again. Anyone have the standover measurement on the large? It's not on the site.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I rode the Access Stealth LTD today.
    1300g frame is nice Size 19".
    The 6lb fork and 5lb wheels were silly heavy.
    The brakes and post / bars / stem and cranks were silly heavy.
    31.6lbs total. WAAAAAY heavy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by go-pirates View Post
    I'll second the idea that Performance takes very good care of their customers.....
    +1 to this comment!