Thread: AC Carbonators

mtbr member
    Aug 2015

AC Carbonators

Has anyone ridden these yet? Looking for some wide carbon rims. For this price I could have a top build from Light Bicycle or a custom set of Derby Rims with Hope Hubs. Why would I choose the Carbonators?

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by haydpd View Post
    Has anyone ridden these yet? Looking for some wide carbon rims. For this price I could have a top build from Light Bicycle or a custom set of Derby Rims with Hope Hubs. Why would I choose the Carbonators?
    The only reason I can see to go with AC is if you want to get good at digesting BS answers from AC when the wheels/hubs fail prematurely. Or if you'd rather wrench than ride.

Go Derby.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    BOOM Roasted!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I'll reiterate my constant gripe about AC. They tout the idea of equal length spokes on both the drive and non-drive side. It's demonstratively crap and makes for less laterally stiff wheels. Further, in my experience, the pre-load method they espouse always leaves you with a slightly disconcerting amount of side to side play between the hubs and the frame.

Also my 420 aeros eat spokes because they didn't directionally drill the spoke holes so there is a pretty significant bend where the spokes leave the nipples.

But hey, I only need to buy two size of spare spokes.