mtbr member
    May 2013

6'7" rider: XL CF FS bike vs Custom Ti FS

I'm almost 6'7" tall, 220#, recently got my 2003 custom Titus race-x Ti stolen. Very disappointed. I'm 44 yrs, lower back strain is an issue while riding (prev lumbar disk surg), and mostly ride x-country, but aggressive hilly terrain. Looking for a high-end, FS, carbon fiber or Ti frame (unfortunately, my back issue won't allow a hardtail) Can I realistically get an optimized fit into the current factory production carbon fiber 29ers, such as trek 23" superfly 100, santa cruz tallboy xxl, moots mx divide, etc.? Or should I be looking to a custom ti frame, such as Zinn Terra 3.0 (which have no reviews that I have found on the web), or Funk La Ruta (talked with the owner, and he can customize the frame). My local dealer of trek and moots says he can make those bikes fit me. But if I'm going to spend $10K on a bike, I would like it to fit really good. Is that doable? I look forward to your input. Thanks.

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    try Quiring....I think he can do custom FS with a turner rear. He can also do Aluminium, steel, Ti. He is very reasonable with prices, delivers on time and is great to deal with.

Uncoordinated coward
    Sep 2005
    Can you wait until the XXL Turner Czar comes out? That looks worth a test ride, if the geometry works for you.

MTB B'dos
    I'd have to think that since you ride XC, that a 23" Trek would be able to fit, depending on your preference for stem length and bar width. Going by when I rode more XC, running a 110-120mm stem is fine and couple that with a bar 710mm> and I'd expect the fit to be fine, especially if you have back issues which might make a more upright riding position beneficial. That being said, I don't think anything can beat custom from the right custom builder, especially in Ti
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Underskilled
    I'm 6'7 too. There are now quite a few bikes that fit off shelf.

I have riden the Niner RIP9 and WFO9. Both fit very well, if anything I find them a little big. I ride them with a 4cm stem and have seat full forwards on the rails.

Very big bikes.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    6'8" and had a disk removed about 9 years ago....go for the Specialized Stumpjumper XXL....easy fit and very comfortable. My main ride is Superfly elite 100 carbon and love it for our more XC terrain, it rides more HT-like.

mtbr member

6'7" rider: XL CF FS bike vs Custom Ti FS

I'll 2nd the specialized Stumpjumper FSR 29r in XXL! I loved mine, until I decided to go singlespeed and rigid. It has sat literally unused since i got my first SS about a year ago. Its a super comfy bike. This coming from a 6'7" 34" inseam person. It's for for sale as we speak at a LBS bike swap this weekend in CT.
    Ben - Clydesdale - Type II Diabetic - 6'7", ~278lbs in 09/2011 - A1C 9.4%, ~228lbs in 07/2012 - A1C 5.6%, ~240lbs in 05/2013

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Inseam is a key measure - I am 'only' 6'5 but I have a 38" inseam.

I demo'd both the Stumpy FSR and the Spesh Camber XXL - chose the Camber 23" XXL Carbon Evo R as it fits me so well. Its also light (26.6lbs) and handles pretty well (found the Stumpy a bit slow handling given the lack of steeps around here).

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by marvin rouge View Post
    Inseam is a key measure - I am 'only' 6'5 but I have a 38" inseam.

I demo'd both the Stumpy FSR and the Spesh Camber XXL - chose the Camber 23" XXL Carbon Evo R as it fits me so well. Its also light (26.6lbs) and handles pretty well (found the Stumpy a bit slow handling given the lack of steeps around here).
    I also have a 38" inseam (crotch to the floor). Where you able to get a truly good fit with the camber with an expert fitter? Is the seat level with the handle bars? My back is most comfortable when seat and handle bars are level.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks for your reply. Did you change anything on the elite? like a different stem, etc?

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by rfhestdalen View Post
    I'm almost 6'7" tall, 220#, recently got my 2003 custom Titus race-x Ti stolen. Very disappointed. I'm 44 yrs, lower back strain is an issue while riding (prev lumbar disk surg), and mostly ride x-country, but aggressive hilly terrain. Looking for a high-end, FS, carbon fiber or Ti frame (unfortunately, my back issue won't allow a hardtail) Can I realistically get an optimized fit into the current factory production carbon fiber 29ers, such as trek 23" superfly 100, santa cruz tallboy xxl, moots mx divide, etc.? Or should I be looking to a custom ti frame, such as Zinn Terra 3.0 (which have no reviews that I have found on the web), or Funk La Ruta (talked with the owner, and he can customize the frame). My local dealer of trek and moots says he can make those bikes fit me. But if I'm going to spend $10K on a bike, I would like it to fit really good. Is that doable? I look forward to your input. Thanks.
    You ought to post up a picture or two of the custom Titus you had stolen so we can all be on the lookout on eBay, Craigslist, etc... for such a tall man's custom bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

seat to bar height

I am the same - I like the seat and bar height to be pretty close. This is my Camber 29er XXL - as noted I am 38" inseam:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6'7" rider:  XL CF FS bike vs Custom Ti FS-mtb-009-small-kb.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by marvin rouge View Post
    I am the same - I like the seat and bar height to be pretty close. This is my Camber 29er XXL - as noted I am 38" inseam:
    Thanks for the picture...looks like a nice set up. How much does it weigh?

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    I assume you have the geometry/drawing of the original frame, right? Just take that and compare with some of the XXL options out there and you should have a good idea if something will work for you or not.

If you don't have the numbers anymore, of course, you're out of luck, since I don't think any of the original info from Titus can be obtained easily (but you never know, might be worth calling).

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveGiant View Post
    I'm 6'7 too. There are now quite a few bikes that fit off shelf.

I have riden the Niner RIP9 and WFO9. Both fit very well, if anything I find them a little big. I ride them with a 4cm stem and have seat full forwards on the rails.

Very big bikes.
    At 6'7" the XL Niners are gonna be too small. I'm 6'6" and ride a Santa Cruz Highball in an XXL and rode my buddy's XL Niner RDO last week and it was TINY.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rfhestdalen View Post
    Thanks for the picture...looks like a nice set up. How much does it weigh?
    26.5 stock with XTR pedals
    Last edited by marvin rouge; 05-07-2013 at 05:50 AM.

Stupid is, as stupid does
    Ventana can also do some customizations for you. Do not waste money having a smaller bike made to fit you.
    2012 Ibis Mojo HD (153mm 650B)
    Yeti SB95 Carbon
    1993 Brodie Expresso
    RIP 1997 Santa Cruz Heckler.In 2010 the frame cracked

Underskilled
    No it isn't, it is huge, and comfortably fits me.

The highball is probably larger from what you say.

I've tried the tallboy and lt, nice bikes, but don't pedal as well as the niner WFO. They are very light and fun in the air though.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?