Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

650B Marketing is working

Has anyone else noticed the 650 push is finally gaining meaningful ground? By that I mean many less experienced riders are being pushed to the middle wheel size (as the best option). I know this topic has been covered ad naseum but it kills me to hear guys say they are ready to buy but haven't ridden a 26 or a 29... I guess marketing $ work #Nike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    besides marketing there are factual pros and cons to the sizes. the industry appears to want 26 dead on all but the low end or serious downhill rigs. 29ers aren't really practical for a 5'2 woman who weighs 115lbs so the 650b is a natural stand in. for all my life we were married to 26" personally i'm happy to see 2 choices appear to become the new standard. we also know parts are purposely changed to obsolete old bikes and push people into newer gear. have an old XTR hardtail from 1999? absolutely nothing made today will be compatible besides the seatposts and tires. you won't find hubs that high end in non disc and you won't find ultralight 8spd parts new. with 27.5 and 29er the real benefit is obsoleting the old 26" wheel and pushing a lot of holdouts into a new bike. while you could always milk along an old 8spd high end HT if you wanted to with used parts, the lack of high end rims and tires being made in the future may finally obsolete those completely.

my main bike is a superfly 100 29er. love it, also have a 1996 or 1997 stumpjumper pro on 9spd. anyway my local bike shop sold me a pair of mavic crossrides for it at cost $125 for the pair. they just have no interest in non disc 26" wheels. i bought them simply because i know where things are heading. in a few more years there may not be new mid level wheelsets in v brake for me to even purchase if i need one.

mtbr member
    My concern is primarily regarding new riders and 26" guys uniting... 27.5 is better for true downhill... But the average guy will enjoy a 29 inch wheel over the other 2 sizes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Yes, I think many have noticed this and posted on it like crazy. S just released their 27.5", so I'd say that's symbolic of 26" being dead.

For all of the bemoaning, if people buy 26" it will be built. New riders don't drive the industry so much, most don't ride what they buy or quit as soon as they get a flat, so the wheel size doesn't matter much.

There is a ton of 26" inventory out there so it isn't dead in that sense. If people love 26" so much the used stuff will be there and niche builders will respond, that is until it be omes the next latest trend in the industry.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by LB412 View Post
    Has anyone else noticed the 650 push is finally gaining meaningful ground? By that I mean many less experienced riders are being pushed to the middle wheel size (as the best option). I know this topic has been covered ad naseum but it kills me to hear guys say they are ready to buy but haven't ridden a 26 or a 29... I guess marketing $ work #Nike.
    At a staggering 3.7% bigger than 26" with same size tires - it is the "best of both worlds" wheels size, right?

3.7%.

Locally I see people wanting and riding 650b for bigger trail/enduro bikes but for everything else the 29er is still king.

My local dealer says the bike market is flat to declining the last few years so what 650b is doing is breathing some new life and selling bikes but primarily taking away 26" wheels sales.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Seems like they'd buy not caring about other sizes if the marketing was so good.

It's great to see the less experienced you mention have a choice between small and large. A bonus if the economic activity creates or maintains a job for someone.

It's not like the cops have knocked on the door to take away my 26 and 29 wheel bikes.

Wheel size as tribe or religion is silly. Ride what you like. I like all of them.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    650b marketing is working because that is currently the only marketing currently going on. Giant really started it last year with their stupid #ridewithoutlimits and ever since people have been flocking over to the tweener wheel.
    One of my friends has two 29ers and he said that he might get a 27" next. That is probably a lot of people's mentality after all these bikes were released in a short period of time.
    All I hope is that the longer travel 29ers stay in production and that the new trend dies down as fast as it was born.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member

Re: 650B Marketing is working

Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    All I hope is that the longer travel 29ers stay in production and that the new trend dies down as fast as it was born.
    Have you ridden a 650 yet? How do you know you won't like it more than a 29"?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    My concern is primarily regarding new riders and 26" guys uniting... 27.5 is better for true downhill... But the average guy will enjoy a 29 inch wheel over the other 2 sizes.
    Whose to say he/she will enjoy a 29er more as an average rider. Lets be honest here we are in a sport were 1 degree of headangle makes a big change to a bike. The wheel size may be small but its still changing something that effects the feel.

It makes perfect sense that people are told to buy 27.5, it does sit in the middle of both sizes and its more than likely going to out grow the 26er in the future as the standard size, making it a more viable option for future proofing parts wise but also performance wise. many parts come in 650/26. Less parts come in 29/650b.

For a new rider its a nice compromise to go with 650B because it is in between sizes. each rider is different, its really not up to anyone to say what wheel size is more enjoyable that's up to the rider to choose.

Quote Originally Posted by 8iking VIIking View Post
    Have you ridden a 650 yet? How do you know you won't like it more than a 29"?
    I have ridden a 650b on a parking lot (so it doesn't really count) but I have ridden 26ers on the trail and I know that I prefer 29ers to the 26ers. Because 650b is only a tiny bit bigger than a 26er I believe that the benefits won't be enough for me to want a 650b instead of a 26 and definitely not instead of a 29er.
    But for the kind of riding I do there is only one spot on the trail that I am not comfortable on: tight switchbacks, and on tight switchbacks I can still ride my 29er around them, but I wouldn't buy a 27" just for a tiny margin of my ride.

Forth Eorlingas!

Quote Originally Posted by sodinishu View Post
    That is probably a lot of people's mentality after all these bikes were released in a short period of time.
    Wow you really had to do that? You copied me word for word.

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    I was sucked in by the 29er 'marketing' several years ago, I enjoyed rolling fast in a straight line but that is where the enjoyment of the wagon wheel stopped for me. Sure they are marketing the crap out of the tweener size but the fact is the size is a good compromise and simply works. The marketing would have died pretty quickly if the market wasn't responding. I guess I am not your "average guy"!

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    I have ridden a 650b on a parking lot (so it doesn't really count) but I have ridden 26ers on the trail and I know that I prefer 29ers to the 26ers. Because 650b is only a tiny bit bigger than a 26er I believe that the benefits won't be enough for me to want a 650b instead of a 26 and definitely not instead of a 29er.
    But for the kind of riding I do there is only one spot on the trail that I am not comfortable on: tight switchbacks, and on tight switchbacks I can still ride my 29er around them, but I wouldn't buy a 27" just for a tiny margin of my ride.
    Did your old 26" have the same geo? Same frame material? Same fork? Same tires? If it did, you can make an apples to apples comparison. If not, you can't.

I like my current 29" bike more than my old 26", but I attribute that to the fact that it cost about 4x as much...not necessarily the big wheels

I think people put WAY too much stock in wheel size. The biggest thing that affects a bikes handling is the geo, not wheel size. Some of y'all need to go out and ride your bike rather than worry about 26 vs 27.5 vs 29 vs penny farthings

Quote Originally Posted by 8iking VIIking View Post
    Did your old 26" have the same geo? Same frame material? Same fork? Same tires? If it did, you can make an apples to apples comparison. If not, you can't.

I like my current 29" bike more than my old 26", but I attribute that to the fact that it cost about 4x as much...not necessarily the big wheels

I think people put WAY too much stock in wheel size. The biggest thing that affects a bikes handling is the geo, not wheel size. Some of y'all need to go out and ride your bike rather than worry about 26 vs 27.5 vs 29 vs penny farthings
    My 29er is higher spec, but I am not saying my 26er is bad. Sure it has bad components, but I still ride it around my yard and I use it when I don't feel like using my 29er.
    I like both wheel sizes, just my 29er is my preference.

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I like my 26er and have no plans on changing anytime soon - and it's a 5 inch travel semi-race machine, not a downhill or enduro ride. I rode plenty of 650b and 29ers at Outerbike last year and generally liked the 650b's a little better - I just don't think that 29ers are for me. I think in some terrain they are likely the perfect ride. I think for some people they are the perfect ride.

I also think that if someone changed to 29er because they though it was much better than 26 and has now decided that 650b is the perfect ride, then that is evidence of marketing at work.

The industry wants to sell bikes, and more people will buy new bikes if there is a real tangible difference - like a different wheel size. However, it is expensive for the industry to have too many wheel sizes, thus the general phasing out of 26ers in favor of the, very similar but more marketable, 650b wheel size.

Yes, the marketing is working. At least if the marketing works on some people who want the newest wheel size then there are more used 26ers and 29ers available for people who don't care about the marketing.

There is no perfect bike.....just the one that's best for you.

mtbr member

I'd like to demo some full suspension 650b bikes over the next couple of years. If I like it the trek fuel ex8 650b could be my next bike.

I have a hunch that 29ers will rule the HT scene for a long time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    in all honesty I did a 24 hour endurance race and had the chance to demo a Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt. a 27.5 wheel bike for a lap. Normally I ride a 29er and I honestly could not tell the the difference betweent the two sizes. They felt similiar. When I get on my 26 hardtail, then I notice a difference...it is so much more fun! I don't know why we are dumping the 26er. It is such a breath of fresh air after being on the big size. I wish they would continue to make and develop the size. Choice is good. Oh well...I'll just keep riding, what do I know?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I am interested to see what happens when most bikes are 1x11 and there is no need for a front derailler. Chainstay lengths on 29ers will get much shorter and they won't be so clumsy in the corners. My 29er can go down to a 16.25 wheelbase and at that length I don't have any issues with the common complaints with the big wheel size. Will that change be another marketing ploy. I rode a 650b recently and really liked it!! I think a lot of it had to do with headtube and seat angle and how far technology has taken us. The bike looks like it should not climb well but that was not the case.
    If I was to buy a squishy bike and I wanted 5 inches of travel or more I would go 650b and under I would go 29.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    For all of the bemoaning, if people buy 26" it will be built.
    Trouble is a lot of brands have just killed their 26ers immediately without stopping to look.

Taken to a hilarious extreme by Canyon, who killed off the Strive Al despite it consistently selling out, sell two complete runs of the 2014 models, but nope, nobody wants a 26er anymore so now it's off the catalogue entirely. It's been bizarre.

It's also become a circular argument, 'nobody' is buying 26ers, but nobody is offering 26ers to buy because 'nobody' is buying them. It's not such a big deal though, my experimenting with 26 wheels in 650b frames (Nukeproof Mega, SC Bronson and Saracen Zen so far) has lead me to conclude that a 650 frame with 26 wheels rides just the same as it did before, becoming even more just the same the faster you're going.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    Trouble is a lot of brands have just killed their 26ers immediately without stopping to look.

Taken to a hilarious extreme by Canyon, who killed off the Strive Al despite it consistently selling out, sell two complete runs of the 2014 models, but nope, nobody wants a 26er anymore so now it's off the catalogue entirely. It's been bizarre.

It's also become a circular argument, 'nobody' is buying 26ers, but nobody is offering 26ers to buy because 'nobody' is buying them. It's not such a big deal though, my experimenting with 26 wheels in 650b frames (Nukeproof Mega, SC Bronson and Saracen Zen so far) has lead me to conclude that a 650 frame with 26 wheels rides just the same as it did before, becoming even more just the same the faster you're going.
    UK seems to be a little different.
    26" have been selling in very low numbers in USA in the last 2 years.
    Yeti, Turner and Santa Cruz are on record saying they could not get enough orders to keep making 26" or the customers interest in 650b was so huge they had to go 650b.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post

I agree with you that there are some companies that have knee-jerk reactions, but many companies have not. Santa Cruz, for example, responded to what they perceived was customer demand. Specialized waited and waited and now they are jumping in. After so many larger companies sat back an lost sales to smaller companies selling 29ers and kept saying it was a fad, you can bet there will be many more knee-jerk reactions to 27.5"

And itCustomers have had the choices of 26, 27.5, and 29 and moreover they have had nothing but 26" for many years. If I am Specialized and 26" selling then I won't switch, I'll beat the competition--and that aint happening apparently.

Keep on Rockin...
    Different horses for different courses.

If you haven't figured that out you are too skilled on a bike for it to matter, or... too simple to tell the difference.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    26ers and 650b are not well differentiated. 650b only exists, after all, because it could drop into existing 26er frames. Likewise, if you really wanted a 26er you could buy a 650b bike and downgrade the wheels. There's just not that much difference.

Furthermore, manufacturers pushed 650b bikes to market because they could claim new lineups without doing much to support a wheel that's virtually the same as what it replaced. They gain the latest buzz with little investment.

As a manufacturer, why would you maintain a 26er lineup when you have a 650b one? 650b is new, has surging interest, and is the same as 26er functionally. 26ers are alive and well, they are just called 650b now. Anyone who's ridden a 26er has ridden a 650b, no need to pretend it's any different.

On the bright side, 650b sucks a little less than 26", so the industry improves a little bit, though at a cost not worth the benefit. 26er will die in all markets eventually. DH will just happen later.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    I really like my 27.5. I just like my 29er a little more. Many shorter riders that like to ride tech have made the switch. I put a SuperMax on my 429 and it just crushes it.

Rogue Exterminator
    Hey, at least it solved the astronomical amounts of posts about "should I get a 26" or 29" wheel.".
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast