Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    ... and the above marketing is very misleading when you ride the bikes back to back, IMHO.
    Downright fraudulent is what I'd call it. It's as though Pacenti wrote himself.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
    Heh, that's funny! The local Giant shop in my town also just sold. Probably coincidence, but perhaps not. If you can afford it, I think it makes more sense to offer a wide range of products and let the consumer decide what they like best.
    Yup, have to agree.
    Giant making that decision for the consumer seems arrogant and it may well cost the company lot's of potential sales.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    how do you unsubscribe to threads, I gotta stop getting emails about this...

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    figured it out, now I never have to listen to this debate again

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    I wonder if people like the geometry of the newer 650b bikes over the wheel size? I know it's anecdotal, but from talking to people on the trail, and riding partners, with 650b bikes, most weren't sure if they could tell the difference between 26" and 650b wheels, but all did say they loved the bikes.

I'd like to throw a leg over a 650b bike, a lot of them look fun.
    I put a 650b front on a 26" hardtail with steep geometry. It definitely made the bike feel better. I thought it was the wheel, but I bet it was just slacking the HTA

mtbr member
    It seems to me the 650 is missing everything that the 26er and the 29er are great at. Id think the 650 is at best ok in many areas but not amazing. Whereas 26 has its great attributes and same for the 9er.

Im sticking with my all mountain rize4 as my backup to my jet9 rdo!

Just saying...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    There are pictures of people putting 650B wheels on their 26 inch frame bike including the Giant Reign. I look at my standard Reign with a 2.4 Ardent on the front and 2.25 Ardent on the back I only have half an inch clearance at both ends, I struggle to see how changing to a 650B wheel can make such a difference. I agree with earlier posts about geometry making more of a difference. The new trend seems to be slacker head angles. You only have to look at the 08 Anthem compared to the modern 650B version, the new one is about 2 degrees slacker.

Trail Ninja
    I think 650b is hot mainly since the industry is putting their resources behind it. I think 29er riders that believe in it are waiting for the next evolution of the 29er, rather than waiting to be hooked by some 650b bike launch, unless they're the kind to hop onto trendy bandwagons.

Holding my savings for when companies put research resources back into 29ers and create those FS frames that take advantage of dedicated 1x drivetrains, which have also learned what the enduro did with the rear end. There's also what Trek did with the Remedy 29er rear end, and what Cannondale did with the F-Si rear end to learn from. I know there's some people that don't even want to buy another bike without a 150/157 rear end. There's new shocks and new forks too. Then there's the Shimano side-swing front derailleur.

Is the Spider 29 Comp, Ripley, Camber EVO, SB-95c, and RIP9 RDO the best there is in the 110-127mm travel range? There's also the Devinci Atlas and BH Lynx 4.8 that look good on paper, but don't get as good of a review as you'd expect, due to frame flex, pedal strikes, or some other reason. Then there's the RM Instinct and Process 110 DL, Spearfish, maybe the 429c since it's burlier than a typical 100mm, and what else to consider? Felt make anything like that yet? I know they've been shooting for that lightweight, responsive, XC racy, yet AM-capable and reliably stout bike. Don't want to go into the 130+ range, since I'd want to equip it with a Fox 36 dropped to 140, with beefy tires and parts, unless the SJ FSR gets the Enduro treatment.

The people who have the "right bike for them", will continue riding it and let all this debate go on without them. Those that don't have that bike that's right for them, or are looking for something fresh... well, it's up to their patience waiting for that right one. Maybe they will be the ones getting hooked by 650b marketing.

If "wheel wars" had a hype cycle, I wonder where 29ers would be on it...
    Last edited by Varaxis; 07-31-2014 at 06:23 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3