Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Trying to decide how nice I'm feeling today and if I should bother to explain why use the Goatlink for this application since you seem to know it all
    Hey LyNx, I'm interested about the Goatlink and how it helps. I'm building a bike for my 12 year old and plan to use my old dirt jump wheels which have a SS Hope pro 2 hub, my backup (read heavily used but operational) XT shadow plus rear derailleur, and an XT 10 speed cassette. Would the Goatlink help if I'm using the above parts? Why does it help?
    Last edited by noosa2; 04-24-2016 at 08:15 AM.

MTB B'dos
    Well, since you asked so nicely, here it is....

The Goatlink moves the RD back and away from the cassette, as far away as would be required for a 42 cog. The reason this is good is because the 36t large cog you'll be running on the short/SS freehub is actually in the position the 3rd or 4th cog (26-)28t cog would be on a normal cassette, hence the RD is much too close to the cogs and will most likely be too close and rub. Since it moves the RD away, you don't have to go messing trying to use a longer B-limit screw to move the pulleys away to accommodate the larger than designed for cog in that position, the Goatlink properly moves the entire RD away.

Quote Originally Posted by noosa2 View Post
    Hey LyNx, I'm interested about the Goatlink and how it helps. I'm building a bike for my 12 year old and plan to use my old dirt jump wheels which have a SS Hope pro 2 hub, my backup (read heavily used but operational) XT shadow plus rear derailleur, and an XT 10 speed cassette. Would the Goatlink help if I'm using the above parts? Why does it help?
    Shimano XT Clutch RD
    6 speed cassette on SS hub....Please post your setup-clutch-rd-normal.jpg

Shimano XT Clutch RD with Goatlink
    6 speed cassette on SS hub....Please post your setup-clutch-rd-w-goatlink.jpg
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member

The Goatlink moves the RD back and away from the cassette, as far away as would be required for a 42 cog. The reason this is good is because the 36t large cog you'll be running on the short/SS freehub is actually in the position the 3rd or 4th cog (26-)28t cog would be on a normal cassette, hence the RD is much too close to the cogs and will most likely be too close and rub. Since it moves the RD away, you don't have to go messing trying to use a longer B-limit screw to move the pulleys away to accommodate the larger than designed for cog in that position, the Goatlink properly moves the entire RD away.

Shimano XT Clutch RD
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clutch-RD-normal.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	1065908

Shimano XT Clutch RD with Goatlink
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clutch-RD-w-Goatlink.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	1065907
    Goatlink is about to be ordered - thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Noosa2 - thanks for asking nicely.

LyNx, cheers for the answer. Now it all makes sense.
    And no - I'm not a 'know it all'. Your info posted above just proves it!
    Last edited by chrzis; 04-26-2016 at 02:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Is anyone running the Halo ss rear hub? I just bought one cheap for a mini Velo project, but haven't tried or tested any cogs on it yet... 😼

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hi LyNx, which combo do you think would be best on Hadley SS hub with 5 8spd cogs:
    GoatLink with 10 speed XT Shadow+ or
    GoatLink 11 with 11 speed XT Shadow+
    My cogs are 34-26-20-15-12
    Many thanks!
    Often wrong but never in doubt.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Is anyone using an old school thumb shifter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Not an old school thumbie but gong to try with a Dura-Ace bar end shifter on a Velo Orange handlebar mount... Will see how it goes!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Nice. Keep me updated, I'm curious about doing the same, looking for a ratcheting type shifter. Didn't know VO made those mounts, only knew of Paul Components Thumbies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTB B'dos
    If you use an 11spd RD, you don't need a Goatlink, it's already built to accommodate the large 42-44t cogs of 11spd cassettes, so should easily handle a 34 cog in that position. If you're going to use 8spd spacing, not sure if either of those RDs will work with an older indexed shifter, but should work with a thumb shifter, no clue on the Hadley hub itself.

Quote Originally Posted by pureslop View Post
    Hi LyNx, which combo do you think would be best on Hadley SS hub with 5 8spd cogs:
    GoatLink with 10 speed XT Shadow+ or
    GoatLink 11 with 11 speed XT Shadow+
    My cogs are 34-26-20-15-12
    Many thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chrzis View Post
    Well - here are some pics of my unbuild Project 321 SS hub. (Same as the I9 torch SS apparently) 6 gears from a Shimano 10s work.

Not much help with the Hadley / DT question sorry. But the info may help someone else.
    What size is your smallest cog? I'm looking at a 6 speed setup for my son and was thinking of either a 17T or 19t as the smallest cog.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    What size is your smallest cog? I'm looking at a 6 speed setup for my son and was thinking of either a 17T or 19t as the smallest cog.
    For the purpose of the photo, I just threw on my first 6 cogs from my 10s cassette. 11t was the smallest in the photo.

Once I get my wheel built up, I hope to use 2x carriers from a 10s cassette. This will reduce free hub damage. See Shimano-compatible 10-speed Cassettes.

Maybe a CS-M771? This will give 18, 20, 22, 25, 28, 32. I haven't decided yet.

MTB B'dos
    If you use the 6 cogs that come on an XT cassette, it's just long enough to reach the end of the freehub and a lockring will hold again the alu carrier, depending on if you machine the back or not, then you can fit 7 cogs on the Hope SS/trials freehub.

Quote Originally Posted by chrzis View Post
    For the purpose of the photo, I just threw on my first 6 cogs from my 10s cassette. 11t was the smallest in the photo.

Once I get my wheel built up, I hope to use 2x carriers from a 10s cassette. This will reduce free hub damage. See Shimano-compatible 10-speed Cassettes.

Maybe a CS-M771? This will give 18, 20, 22, 25, 28, 32. I haven't decided yet.

That guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerhill View Post
    Why not move this to drivetrain forum so people can find it.
    Take away the challenge of finding it, and dumb down the forum?

You found it, and now I found it.

Sub'd
    American Idle

mtbr member

6 9spd (more fit w/ cut xt)

Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    Does anyone have actual measurements of the usable cassette area of various singlespeed hubs? I saw a picture of a Hope showing 24mm length, but I have not been able to find anything else. Seems like the King is on the short side and the Hope is on the long side. Anyone have a hub handy they can measure? I'm especially interested in the Hadley and DT Swiss hubs.
    HadleySS =a touch less than an inch to work with, |xt cassette + 12t lockring| ~24mm

SDH R29.er
    Last edited by Deerhill; 04-28-2016 at 11:15 AM.

wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    Take away the challenge of finding it, and dumb down the forum?

You found it, and now I found it.

Sub'd
    yup, this one's getting archived for later...
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member

The Goatlink moves the RD back and away from the cassette, as far away as would be required for a 42 cog. The reason this is good is because the 36t large cog you'll be running on the short/SS freehub is actually in the position the 3rd or 4th cog (26-)28t cog would be on a normal cassette, hence the RD is much too close to the cogs and will most likely be too close and rub.
    Hey LyNx, thanks again for this info. I finally had time to setup my son bike with XT derailleur with clutch, XT cogs on a Hope SS hub. The goat link made it super easy.

MTB B'dos

Hey LyNx, thanks again for this info. I finally had time to setup my son bike with XT derailleur with clutch, XT cogs on a Hope SS hub. The goat link made it super easy.

Did I catch a niner+?
    I am thinking about doing this on a classic Industry Nine SS hub, but I actually want it for a touring setup. I have most everything that is needed including a XT hub but am curiuos how people have gotten on with a triple with this setup?

I will be using a XTR (104bcd) crankset with it's triple chainrings and a XT M770 cassette to hopefully get a 7 speed setup but am ok with a 6 speed.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    All my life i have been using 3x8 drivetrain. 42-32-20 crankset. With 11-34 eight cogs cassette.
    Then a friend gave me an ss freehub. No brand but i believe it is a Formula.
    The body can accept 3cogs. So i put 12-24-34cogs.
    But then it appears that the derailer cannot serve that combo.
    So i made a compromise.
    Now it is 14-21-28.

I have now 3x3 drivetrain.
    87 gear inch high to 21 low

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Yes. I do. Suntour thumbies. Non-indexed

Dinner for wolves

Late to the party

Hi all,

Thanks to everyone who has contributed their experience and pictures to this and other threads describing 5, 6, 7, and even 8 cogs on SS hubs.

Years ago I had some semi-success with a 5 speed cog on a Hope Trials/SS hub. This winter, using the accumulated wisdom here I set up my SS Coconino hardtail as a 1x7. It has been working beautifully, and it has really opened up some new terrain.

My set up (for posterity):

Hub - Hope Trials/SS
    Cogset - SRAM pg990 11-32, used off ebay. Added an aftermarket 13t 1st position cog
    Rear derailleur - Shimano Zee freeride (M640-SSW)
    Shifter - SRAM X5 9-speed (also available as a 10...careful)
    Up front - 175mm cranks with a standard (not narrow-wide) 30t chainring, chainring guard, no other retention device. I have an n-gear jumpstop ready in case, but so far so good without it.

I had to grind off the lip at the base of the aluminum cog carrier as described by Lynx and others. I accomplished this with a dremel fitted with a 115 cutter. It went well enough. I took the lip down to flush with the rest of carrier, and was left with a chamfer because of the angle of attack. I attempted the same thing with a Shimano CS-M771 ten speed cassette for another bike, but the carrier design made it impossible with the dremel. If you are going with a CS-M771 cassette for a 1x8 on a Hope hub, I highly recommend taking the cogset to person with a lathe. Much better results. This is why I stuck with used cassettes. The dremel + pg990 worked fine, though.

I needed a thin derailleur washer to get the clearance needed to jump 3 cogs at a time. Aside from that, it was plug and play. Awesome. 6 speed cassette on SS hub....Please post your setup-geared-ultra-coco.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6 speed cassette on SS hub....Please post your setup-geared-ultra-coco.jpg  

Responds to gravity

meow, meow.
    Ha! Good to know someone's still rocking 1xN the old way.

I gave up on Hope hub sound long ago. Going with a full 1x9 with a nice, wide asymmetric rim on my most recent geared build. 26" of course, and 135 mm OLD. But considering an Onyx SS/DJ hub with partial cassette if I like the resulting bike!
    26" rigid SS 4130 BB7 nylon-flats ESI latex-tubes non-lubricated-8spd

Dinner for wolves
    Indeed. I have always been slow to adopt new tech. But I just wanted to toast all of you on this thread, because this 1x7 set up is the bee's knees.
    Responds to gravity

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Members who have read this thread: 46