mtbr member
    Sep 2017

6' 1/2, 33 inches inseam on a XL Cannondale F-SI, how bad is it?

Hi there,

I am a fairly beginner on MT and I am looking to buy a Cannondale F-SI Carbon 1 Hi Mod XL. I know i should try it before but the price online is very tempting (2k), and I am considering to buy it without trying it. I dont have option to try Cannondale where I live at the moment.

My question is, how bad would I be riding it on different trails of Cali. Would it be too difficult to adapt it to myself? What are the constrains?

I would highly appreciate your thoughts and if I should simply not buy XL and stick with a more appropriate size for me (L).

Thank you heaps in advance.

Moderator Moderator
    A bike thats too big (or too small) will never feel good to ride, regardless of how much of a "bargain" it is.

Move along, another bike that fits properly is out there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I agree. You'll be over what you paid for it long before you're done riding it, and it if's too big it will be a bummer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Given the 456mm reach for the XL and 436mm for the L you could be looking at the right size. But 200 off on a 2017 isn't much of a deal, imo. I'd look for something at 30%+ off. Find a bike and make a cash offer to the manager only. Don't even talk to a sales guy about price. And include a 2017 that is still at the manufacturers warehouse. Just no special shipping. 60% at order no refund is the custom to protect the shop.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by driver bob View Post
    A bike thats too big (or too small) will never feel good to ride, regardless of how much of a "bargain" it is.

Move along, another bike that fits properly is out there.
    Thanks!! I will

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Thanks a lot for the help. The price this new bike is US 4,200, I am getting it for 2,000 in Like New condition.
    I am 184cm (approx. 6ft 1/2 inch), 33 inch inseam.
    eb1888, do you think it still a good deal?
    I am a bit lost as you guys can see. I highly appreciate your insights.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    This Xl bike is definitely not too big for you, go for it. Average sized people just don't understand how bike are built when you get in the large and lx sizes, bigger the better. I'm 6'3" and would ride an xxl before a large.

Moderator Moderator
    Looking at the numbers for the XL frame and reach is 19mm longer on the XL, which means to achieve the same reach as a L bike you need to shave 20mm off the stem length. Cannondale dont publish how long the stock stems are but with the lefty it may not be possible to run a stem that much shorter, and it's also going to sharpen up the steering, which might make the F-Si feel awfully twitchy.

Also standover: Cannondale lists it as 32.9" for the XL. If you're a true 33" in-seem then you will be touching that top tube every dismount. Not a deal breaker per-se, but personally I like to be able to bend my knees a touch on a dismount without it getting touchy-feely.

At the end of the day sizing is something best done in-person and with the bike you are considering to purchase. You may have a freakishly long reach which makes a +20mm of reach not an issue, but in my experience that is not super common with potential buyers I see.

At 6' I still say that an XL will not fit as well as an L size bike.

You could also fire off an email to Cannondale and see what they think would work best for you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    The so big saving has been past by all the locals who saw it,
    like new i doubt
    your size i doubt
    buying at a good price takes time
    just my 2 cents