mtbr member

5’7” 29er Bike size selection

I’m 5’6 1/2″ 🙂 and decided on the Kona Honzo AL/DL. It seems I’m right in between a medium or small. Which would be the better choice?
    Vancouver, Washington
    2018 Kona Honzo AL/DL

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You can have long legs and a shorter torso for your height and go for the small. Or the opposite and try the medium. A longer torso needs more cockpit space in the form of reach. It's best to ride the sizes when possible. Your actual inseam in shoes, not pants size, is the other important measurement besides height. Provided you don't have an unusual arm length for your height.

mtbr member
    I'm about the same size as you, but have relatively long arms and legs (33"sleeve, 32"inseam). I ride a medium Specialized Stumpjumper FSR set up with a 50mm stem and 760mm bars. Works great for me...

Given a choice between a bike that's slightly too small or one that's slightly too big, I'll go slightly too small every time. I find it's more easier to move around on a bike that's a little too small versus the other way around, plus I think it's easier to "stretch" the fit of a too small bike (longer stem, offset post, etc.)

Can you ride a Honzo in both sizes? That'd be the best way to decide. Good luck, whichever you choose.

mtbr member
    LBS is bringing in a medium. Factory back ordered on the small. Two months out. Kona is extremely back ordered on a lot of models...
    Vancouver, Washington
    2018 Kona Honzo AL/DL

mtbr member
    don't buy a medium just because it's what you can get now. you will regret buying a bike that does not fit you. I looked into the Honzo a while back and the geo made it seemed pretty long. I would think a medium is going to be too long for you, but the only want to know for sure it to test ride.
    Last edited by mack_turtle; 1 Week Ago at 07:40 AM.
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

mtbr member
    Bike fit is a very personal choice, so I would make sure you ride the medium when it shows up, and trust your shop for advice.

That little caveat out of the way, I'm the same height with a pretty average build. I ride a NS Snabb Plus 1 which has, within millimeters, the same reach and stack numbers. Even with the half inch longer seat tube, I can still fit a 150 dropper.
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I'm about your height. 68cm saddle height, I'd go with a small. Stack is a bit lower. reach seems long enough at 425 ! I'd probably be around a 50cm stem length give or a take one size. Also the small probably comes with a 170mm crankset which I'd want (but an easy swap so not a big factor)

mtbr member
    Barely 5'8" here and also in-between sizes for a lot of brands. I also think it's easier to 'make' a smaller bike larger with the added plus of being slightly lighter weight and easier to flick around in general.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I'm 5'7" with 31" inseam and short torso. I have to have my ties shortened 3-4" so they don't hang down to my junk. I always go with Small. Tried to ride Mediums, no bueno.
    You can't buy happiness. But you can buy a bike. And that's pretty close.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by kamaaina1 View Post
    I’m 5’6 1/2″ 🙂 and decided on the Kona Honzo AL/DL. It seems I’m right in between a medium or small. Which would be the better choice?
    The Honzo is long in reach/top tube. I'm 5'9.5", sat on a medium, and it felt about right. Demo that medium to see, but my gut says it's too long. Ordinarily, I try to size up, but the Honzo is one of the bikes that I wouldn't.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    I am 5'7" and ride 3 mtn bikes.

Medium Highball
    Small Verhauen
    Large 5010

All have different top tube lengths and are matched with different stems to get similar reach and feel.
    2 are 29er and 1 is 27.5 plus.

Point is sizes like "small" or "medium" are not always equal. In fact my small verhauen has longer top tube than my medium highball. Best bet is to get on a try a few bikes and look at their sizing/geomerty. This will give you and idea where you want to be for you body type. Then when consider the bikes you want to by worry less about "size" and more about geomerty to and pick size that has the right stand over, top tube and seat tube lengths that will work for you.

When picking bikes my 5010 has longest top tube and shortest stem. This makes it feel different from the other bikes, but that is my downhill bike so I wanted a longer top tube. My 2 HT bikes are more XC and shorter top tube and longer stem helps put more weight on the front wheel for cornering and climbing.

So generally the smaller bike will be more nimble for cornering and climbing. The bigger bike will be more stable descending. So if you are inbetween sizes this might help to know when considering a bike.
    Joe
    '12 Santa Cruz Highball 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5",Vassago Verhauen SS 29" XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    There is no way I would go with a medium at your size, but that is me.

mtbr member
    Tried the Small & Medium. Medium felt a bit better. Also had Matt & Veronica at Joe Bike Portland to throw on a set of RaceFace Atlas pedals, and had them convert to tubeless setup.
    Thanks for all the advice!

-honzo.jpg
    Vancouver, Washington
    2018 Kona Honzo AL/DL

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    I am 5'7" and ride 3 mtn bikes.

Medium Highball
    Small Verhauen
    Large 5010

All have different top tube lengths and are matched with different stems to get similar reach and feel.
    2 are 29er and 1 is 27.5 plus.

Point is sizes like "small" or "medium" are not always equal. In fact my small verhauen has longer top tube than my medium highball. Best bet is to get on a try a few bikes and look at their sizing/geomerty. This will give you and idea where you want to be for you body type. Then when consider the bikes you want to by worry less about "size" and more about geomerty to and pick size that has the right stand over, top tube and seat tube lengths that will work for you.

When picking bikes my 5010 has longest top tube and shortest stem. This makes it feel different from the other bikes, but that is my downhill bike so I wanted a longer top tube. My 2 HT bikes are more XC and shorter top tube and longer stem helps put more weight on the front wheel for cornering and climbing.

So generally the smaller bike will be more nimble for cornering and climbing. The bigger bike will be more stable descending. So if you are inbetween sizes this might help to know when considering a bike.
    JP I'm your size and match bike size on the first two but surprised to see you're on a lg 5010 especially since SC typically run comparatively smaller to most brands for a given size. And with you saying its your dh rig (I'm assuming it's labeled such more so as for your trail/all Mtn outings?) thinking you'd want it somewhat nimble aswell as stable, which I would think the med would be, at least it was for me.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Tried the Small & Medium. Medium felt a bit better. Also had Matt & Veronica at Joe Bike Portland to throw on a set of RaceFace Atlas pedals, and had them convert to tubeless setup.
    Thanks for all the advice!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Honzo.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	126.7 KB 
ID:	1177059

Agreed.

My wife is a "leggy" 5'7 and her Kona Honzo is a Medium. You'd have to be pretty stumpy to need a small at that similar height. -img_2929.jpg
    -img_3745.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    JP I'm your size and match bike size on the first two but surprised to see you're on a lg 5010 especially since SC typically run comparatively smaller to most brands for a given size. And with you saying its your dh rig (I'm assuming it's labeled such more so as for your trail/all Mtn outings?) thinking you'd want it somewhat nimble aswell as stable, which I would think the med would be, at least it was for me.
    ETT on 3 bikes
    Highball - 23" - 90mm Stem
    Verhauen - 23.6" - 80mm stem
    5010 - 24" - 50mm stem

Since my 5010 is first generation model it longer TT for a large is actually more in line with the current trends. I have no issues with stand over and with the short stem the long TT works. The bike is not as nimble as my 2 HT bikes, but the longer front end makes it more stable on steep downhills. I call it my DH bike because I take it on terrain that steeper and rockier than do with my HT bikes. I bought it used so never tried the medium, but when tested it had 70 or 80 mm stem and that was too long. So on went the 50 I had laying around and it fit perfect for what I wanted.
    Joe
    '12 Santa Cruz Highball 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5",Vassago Verhauen SS 29" XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.