mtbr member
    Mar 2010

445 axel to crown fork on a 29er

Is any one running 445 axle to crown fork on a 29er? I figure it will lower the bottom bracket and quicken up the steering, but how much? Is it acceptable?

The reason I ask is I'm build a 29er from parts let over from my 26er and don't have the cash to get a new fork yet.

If you have photos please post. I'd love to see.
    Thanks!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by luapmichna View Post
    Is any one running 445 axle to crown fork on a 29er? I figure it will lower the bottom bracket and quicken up the steering, but how much? Is it acceptable?

The reason I ask is I'm build a 29er from parts let over from my 26er and don't have the cash to get a new fork yet.

Thanks!
    With most 29ers, a 445 a-c fork will steepen the angles by 1.5-2.5 degrees. Probably not a good idea.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Professional Crastinator

Thanks!
    If you can afford 29er tires and wheels you can afford a 29er fork from Surly, VooDoo, eBay...
    they're out there. ~$80

It'll ride much better (but still not as good as modern geometry).

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    My Genesis Fortitude runs a 445 fork as standard, but it is designed around it. Has a 69.5 head angle.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by cockroach View Post
    My Genesis Fortitude runs a 445 fork as standard, but it is designed around it. Has a 69.5 head angle.
    I am a rigid fan so, at the risk of being relevant only to 445mm forks but prob'ly off-topic anyway,...

I had never heard of those. I like that low front set-up.
    It looks light. Is it?

Funny that there are 2 bike co.'s with the same name, and apparently quite a discrepancy in build philosophy:
    Mountain - Genesis: Excellence Begins Here (not so great - seen at Wal-Mart)
    Mountain Bikes | Genesis Bikes 2013 (seemingly much better - I've never seen one)

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    It's a Carbon Pro 445 for 26 inch bikes. It's lite.

transmitter~receiver

Thanks!
    I have an IRD steel fork that I'll give you if you pay shipping.
    PM me
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    I am a rigid fan so, at the risk of being relevant only to 445mm forks but prob'ly off-topic anyway,...

I had never heard of those. I like that low front set-up.
    It looks light. Is it?

Funny that there are 2 bike co.'s with the same name, and apparently quite a discrepancy in build philosophy:
    Mountain - Genesis: Excellence Begins Here (not so great - seen at Wal-Mart)
    Mountain Bikes | Genesis Bikes 2013 (seemingly much better - I've never seen one)

-F
    Can't comment on the Wal-Mart bikes, but my Fortitude is a British Genesis.
    I don't think they have a US distributor.
    It's a great bike if you like a rigid fork, and yes it makes the bars noticably lower.
    I haven't weighed the bike, but it's not especially light (or heavy).

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009

This photo is an old one before I fixed the paintwork but you can get the idea.

I have a 460 26er fork on my bike, where it should be 490 29er fork I guess...original geo 71.5 deg ht. For my use it works as a drop bar 29er. Turns my mtb frame into a roadframe feel basically. Very low in the BB but not as low as my roadie. Enough to clear small obstacles and feel good on the fire trails and cornering and the road. I can't imagine going to 445 though. I feel this is as steep as I would like the HT and as low as I'd like the BB. Also, I feel the steering behaves differently due to the 26er rake. It's OK, in fact I like it more than how the bike used to feel with a29er sus fork. It self centers and responds well, but doesn't have that kind of resistance I am used to feeling when steering away from straight ahead, if you know what I mean. If it is easy, just try it, but if you use it as a dedicated mtb for single track I think you won't like it.

mtbr member
    I ran my old Moto this way for a while:

I actually liked it quite a bit. Smooth and nimble. Enough so that I'm building up my current Juice with a similar fork.

And it just looks cool.
    WTB: Specialized AWOL frameset, XL