mtbr member
    Jun 2014

3x8 to 1 x8 conversion

I recently purchased a Diamondback Overdrive Comp and I am in the process of converting to 1x8. I went with a BBG Bashguard and going with the N-Gear chain stop. I want to get a non ramped chainring (32T) and I was looking at the ones by RaceFace. Only problem is they all say compatible with 9, 10 and 11 speed but nothing about 8. Should I anticipate any issues with this one? See link below:

RaceFace Narrow Wide Single Chainring 32T x 104mm BCD Orange | eBay

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    That's a good question. It would appear this will not work with your 8 speed drive-train, so you may want to go to their website, get contact information, and ask them directly. Try the other Narrow-Wide brands too to see if they make an 8 speed ring. I just went 1 X 10 today and went with this same ring except in Black. LI looked around a bit for you online but did not see anything mentioned for 8 speed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    8 speed chain may not work ideally but it will definitely fit. especially if your running a bash guard and a inner chainkeeper doohickey you'll be fine.

an 8 speed chain isn't too much wider than a 9 speed...

i am setting up a 1x7 real soon with a raceface narrow-wide ring. i don't anticipate it being a problem.

you ever consider one of those type rings? i know lots of people who ride them 1x10 and never drop chains without any sort of chain keeper on the front. i was doubtful but after seeing them in action i am convinced they work and am trying one as soon as i can get some time to put it all together.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

3x8 to 1 x8 conversion

Or should I just keep what is on the chainring that's on the bike currently and run a bash guard and n-gear inside chain stop? Only reason why I was thinking of replacing the current chainring is because it's ramped and I don't want to run the risk of dropping the chain. Also, how do I adjust the chain length properly for the 1x8 setup? Currently have a SRAM x-4 derailleur (I know it's not ideal but should work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I would try the current ring, BBG, and Jumpstop first. I've found the BBG/Jumpstop setup to work well though I was using a singlespeed/unramped chainring. If chain drops prove to be a problem you can get a different chainring.

As for chain length, I like the largest cog and largest chainring method (doesn't matter if you're using 1x or 3x).

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by david.p View Post
    I would try the current ring, BBG, and Jumpstop first. I've found the BBG/Jumpstop setup to work well though I was using a singlespeed/unramped chainring. If chain drops prove to be a problem you can get a different chainring.

As for chain length, I like the largest cog and largest chainring method (doesn't matter if you're using 1x or 3x).
    Only problem with if I do drop my chain I am not finding any chainrings that are 8 speed compatable.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kendalja View Post
    Only problem with if I do drop my chain I am not finding any chainrings that are 8 speed compatable.
    any newer rings are compatible with older chains. they are just a hair narrower than your chain but won't casue you any problems.

i'd also bet your old ramped ring will work fine if you have the bashguard and chaincatcher. try it first before spending any money i'd say.

mtbr member
    I have been using indifferently 8 and 9 speed chainrings with 8 or 9 speed drivetrains (chains).
    I thought the 3/32" dimension was the inside width of the chain and the only difference was the plates' thickness... Go figure.
    I'm 100% sure you won't notice any difference using an 8 speed chain on the Narrow-wide chainring as you suggested.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

3x8 to 1 x8 conversion

I confirmed with Raceface that their chainrings are comparable with 8 speed cassettes as long as you use an 8 speed chain. Going to try with the stock chainring, bash guard and n-gear chain stop and I'll post my results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

3x8 to 1 x8 conversion

Went with a surly ss 32t ring, BBG bash and N-gear chain stop.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Did the stock ring drop the chain?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    In my experience the stock chainring won't work - drops chains all the time. When I first went 1X I had to go to a bashwich to keep the chain on with a stock ring.
    Built another bike up with a single speed ring and it was almost bullet proof, never had trouble with it. Have since converted almost everything over to 30T NW chain rings.

If you look at the tooth profile of a stock ring and a single speed ring the difference is amazing - hard to believe a normal ring works at all.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

3x8 to 1 x8 conversion

Had a ton of issues with the stock chainring! I would drop it almost the entire trail. I have not ridden the new setup until tomorrow so hopefully the chain is not an issue. I will report back tomorrow. Wish me luck

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I'm on 1x8 too. Ramped rings are the worst, can't go down the driveway without dropping the chain. Currently have an FSA singlespeed ring and just fine with no chainkeeper or bashring and old derailleur. Rarely drops.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

3x8 to 1 x8 conversion

No issues with dropping the chain today at all! I rode pretty hard also but also bit it pretty hard! Chain stayed on the entire time (wish I can say that about myself)

Neg reppers r my biatches
    I dont understand the logic. 3x8 is about 16 gears more than 1x8 (e.g., 24-8=16). Similarly, 29er wheels are bigger than 26ers so this seems counterintuitive

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle View Post
    I dont understand the logic. 3x8 is about 16 gears more than 1x8 (e.g., 24-8=16). Similarly, 29er wheels are bigger than 26ers so this seems counterintuitive
    I just converted a friend's bike to 1x10 with a Blackspire 30 tooth NW chainring. He thought the same thing. Today, he rode the bike and saw that he utilizes the entire cassette across varying trail conditions. You don't really do that with a triple or even a double. I know I use about half of my cassette and my two front chainrings.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I ride a 1x8 and use a cheap, unramped Shimano chainring and I've never dropped a chainring with it. SS rings and wide-narrow rings give you a bit more security but they're not absolutely necessary.