mtbr member

3 Bikes, 3 Price Points

The unthinkable happened to me last week - my 6th month old 2012 RIP 9 was stolen. Stan's/Hadley/Arch EX wheels, Fox34, LEV, full XT... My wife (God bless her) cried for me and gave me the go ahead for another bike.

Bike 1 - $2750 for a used 2012 Bandit. Fox 34, XTR rear, SLX front, X7 cranks, Reverb, stock wheel set.

Bike 2 - $4000ish for a new RIP 9, XT build, Rev 140. (insert similar suggestion here)

Bike 3 - $5200ish for a new RIP 9 RDO, XT, Rev 140.

Obviously, the RDO is the best bike, but I'm wondering if the jump to the updated RIP or the longer travel Bandit will be just fine.

I'm open to suggestions...

kabouterclan member
    Jun 2006
    How'bout option 2,

and then spend the 1200$ difference on a nice holiday with your wife? :-)
    Sent from my HAL 9000

mtbr member

3 Bikes, 3 Price Points

Quote Originally Posted by de lars cuevas View Post
    How'bout option 2,

and then spend the 1200$ difference on a nice holiday with your wife? :-)
    We already have a trip planned this summer to a place she badly wants to go. This woman offered to cancel if it would make it more financially feasible to replace the bike. I've sold something else that will cover most of the cost of any of these bikes instead. Couldn't do that to her...
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

MTB B'dos
    I say if you liked the old alu RIP, then I think you'll be more than likely also like with the new one, maybe more, forgo the RDO and save some cash for another perhaps "rainy" day.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member

3 Bikes, 3 Price Points

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    I say if you liked the old alu RIP, then I think you'll be more than likely also like with the new one, maybe more, forgo the RDO and save some cash for another perhaps "rainy" day.
    The only thing I was starting to not like was the 115mm rear end. Coming off a hardtail, that bike made me ride really aggressively, and it felt like I needed more travel back there, hence the appeal of the Bandit. Was even looking at a Prime, but I'm thinking I do too much climbing for that bike. With another dime of travel on the new RIP, you think it's enough? The old RIP was only my 2nd real bike...
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    My friend has an RIP, and I have a 12 Bandit, and while both are awesome, I would absolutely absolutely go for the '12 Bandit. Especially at that price. It is just a hoot. I rarely need more travel, and it is more playful than I even know how to handle, which results in me occasionally doing brilliant things by accident. If someone pulled up next to me on a RDO, I wouldn't look twice with envy. My Bandit curiously prevents me from coveting other bikes, which is a rarity lol.

Even if you get the Bandit and then get a new wheelset I'd say you still got the best bang for the buck.

That aside, did your homeowners insurance cover the bike?
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    My friend has an RIP, and I have a 12 Bandit, and while both are awesome, I would absolutely absolutely go for the '12 Bandit. Especially at that price. It is just a hoot. I rarely need more travel, and it is more playful than I even know how to handle, which results in me occasionally doing brilliant things by accident. If someone pulled up next to me on a RDO, I wouldn't look twice with envy. My Bandit curiously prevents me from coveting other bikes, which is a rarity lol.

Even if you get the Bandit and then get a new wheelset I'd say you still got the best bang for the buck.

That aside, did your homeowners insurance cover the bike?
    I didn't have renters insurance at the time. I do now, 1 day too late. Don't make me relive that morning...

The problem I have with the Bandit is that it's a bit banged up. No dents, but a ton a of cosmetic damage, and a weak crankset. By the time I get the thing up to par, I'm close to the brand new RIP, though the Bandit does have the Fox 34, which I liked on my old RIP.

What I've heard is that the Bandit doesn't climb as well as the RIP, but descends better. Even my short 6-8 mile rides have 2500 feet of climbing, so as much as I want a bike that kills the downhills, I need to be able to get to the top.. Any opinions along that line?

Thanks!

MTB B'dos
    IF you honestly were finding the 115mm of travel on the rear being overwhelmed where and how you were riding, sounds to me like you'd suit a real Trail/AM bike like the Prime. Weight difference would be negligible compared to your old RIP, but what it will take and handle and the confidence it will give you with "real" AM geo will more than make up for the might be slightly heavier bike. As to climbing, the weight may be a slight issue, but the bike itself with the new KS Link suspension pedals really well for me and I have been told it was made even better for production. Even with my pre-production (the production frames dropped 1.5lbs over pre-productions.) I climb just fine - although I am told I'm not normal when it comes to climbing ability/power. My Prime with full XT build and X-Fusion HiLo dropper post, Pro2/Flow wheels, F34, is right around 34lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by scvkurt03 View Post
    The only thing I was starting to not like was the 115mm rear end. Coming off a hardtail, that bike made me ride really aggressively, and it felt like I needed more travel back there, hence the appeal of the Bandit. Was even looking at a Prime, but I'm thinking I do too much climbing for that bike. With another dime of travel on the new RIP, you think it's enough? The old RIP was only my 2nd real bike...
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member

3 Bikes, 3 Price Points

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    IF you honestly were finding the 115mm of travel on the rear being overwhelmed where and how you were riding, sounds to me like you'd suit a real Trail/AM bike like the Prime. Weight difference would be negligible compared to your old RIP, but what it will take and handle and the confidence it will give you with "real" AM geo will more than make up for the might be slightly heavier bike. As to climbing, the weight may be a slight issue, but the bike itself with the new KS Link suspension pedals really well for me and I have been told it was made even better for production. Even with my pre-production (the production frames dropped 1.5lbs over pre-productions.) I climb just fine - although I am told I'm not normal when it comes to climbing ability/power. My Prime with full XT build and X-Fusion HiLo dropper post, Pro2/Flow wheels, F34, is right around 34lbs.
    34lb sounds like a lot of bike to me. I need a bike that's balanced - I see the Prime as a superior descender, but I'm only an average climber (usually in the 70th percentile on Strava climbs).
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

Carbon & Ti rule
    The new Rip9's are very nice bikes & although they are better on the downs than the old Rip9, the big thumbs up for me is how much better climbing they are.

My Rip9 RDO is up with the jet9 RDO when it comes to climbing & is Very very good on the downs.

IMO for an up & back bike the new Rip9's really would be hard to beat.

I didn't have renters insurance at the time. I do now, 1 day too late. Don't make me relive that morning...

The problem I have with the Bandit is that it's a bit banged up. No dents, but a ton a of cosmetic damage, and a weak crankset. By the time I get the thing up to par, I'm close to the brand new RIP, though the Bandit does have the Fox 34, which I liked on my old RIP.

What I've heard is that the Bandit doesn't climb as well as the RIP, but descends better. Even my short 6-8 mile rides have 2500 feet of climbing, so as much as I want a bike that kills the downhills, I need to be able to get to the top.. Any opinions along that line?

Thanks!

MTB B'dos
    34lbs is for an XL and a PRE-production frame build, production frames weigh roughly 1.5lbs less, so with a production frame I'd be around 32.5lbs. For me my Prime climbs excellent, but I've been told by a few of the testers who have gone on to buy production frames that peddling was improved quite a bit over the pre-production frames. Don't know a think about that strava crap, doesn't concern me in the least and if you want to have fun, I'd ignore it too if I was you.
    34lb sounds like a lot of bike to me. I need a bike that's balanced - I see the Prime as a superior descender, but I'm only an average climber (usually in the 70th percentile on Strava climbs).
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    update?
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member

3 Bikes, 3 Price Points

Waiting on wheels and a couple of other bits. Should have it done by Thursday. Will post pics when I'm done..
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I don't have an opinion on these bikes but how did your bike got stolen? Might be interesting to know to avoid your mistake (if you made one).

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Bike Safety And Security ? Beat The Bicycle Thieves - BikeRadar

Some good ideas, some overkill. Good read
    Tahoe29er

mtbr member
    May 2013
    For me there's one rule: you can't secure a bike unless it's behind closed doors.

Bike thieves get away with it form the Justice and the police does not care. If they would be thrown in jail for a couple months with a $10,000 fine per stolen bike maybe they would think twice.

We need to be careful on races too, that's where there's a high concentration of expensive bikes making a prime venue for thieves, I know someone who got his bike stolen at a race, it hurts.