Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    JB

2SoulsCycles Slim Jim

The QH is currently out of stock, but the Slim Jim is essentially the same bike with smaller 27.2 ST and 2.25 rear tire clearance. Also less jack ($), more color options, and available now!

Anyone take taken delivery of one of these bad boys yet?

SlimJim : Details

mtbr member
    Awesome frame!!

With the 27.2mm diameter seatpost, I may just be able to fit the XL instead of waiting for the XXL QH and save about $300/400 in the process.

JB
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Awesome frame!!

With the 27.2mm diameter seatpost, I may just be able to fit the XL instead of waiting for the XXL QH and save about $300/400 in the process.
    According to Marc, they're waiting for Reynolds to make the XXL seattube, so who knows when that will be available. I'm leaning towards the XL myself, 20" ST is all I need, and I got LONG legs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevada 29er View Post
    According to Marc, they're waiting for Reynolds to make the XXL seattube, so who knows when that will be available. I'm leaning towards the XL myself, 20" ST is all I need, and I got LONG legs.
    You're absolutely right, I've been talking with Marc and that's the hold up with the XXL QH.

I have a feeling it's the same with the Slim Jim frame. And I want a new 29er AMHT in time for spring.

IIRC, you're what? 6'6", so if you only need a 20" frame, I may be good then (Only 6'4" and 32/33 inseam). Everyone is steering me clear of the XXL lol. I'm just scared that an XL will be too close to the TransAM which feels cramped.

Are you finding the 20L Honzo too stretched out? The XXL QH/Slim Jim is slightly smaller.

Plus with the 27.2mm diameter post of the Slim Jim, a 410 Thomson post has about an 1' more of useable length than the 30.9 required on the QH.

Time to write Marc an email and see if any XL Slim Jim are available lol.

Plus I'll be saving over $300 or so with the Slim Jim.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Less dropper post options with 27.2 ST.

JB

AM steel hard tail = WIN!

You're absolutely right, I've been talking with Marc and that's the hold up with the XXL QH.

I have a feeling it's the same with the Slim Jim frame. And I want a new 29er AMHT in time for spring.

IIRC, you're what? 6'6", so if you only need a 20" frame, I may be good then (Only 6'4" and 32/33 inseam). Everyone is steering me clear of the XXL lol. I'm just scared that an XL will be too close to the TransAM which feels cramped.

Are you finding the 20L Honzo too stretched out? The XXL QH/Slim Jim is slightly smaller.

Plus with the 27.2mm diameter post of the Slim Jim, a 410 Thomson post has about an 1' more of useable length than the 30.9 required on the QH.

Time to write Marc an email and see if any XL Slim Jim are available lol.

Plus I'll be saving over $300 or so with the Slim Jim.
    Spek, you're totally in XL territory, I wouldn't even think about XXL. Plus, the XL frame already weighs 6.5 lbs, so the XXL might weigh more than the Honzo!

20L Honzo fits like a glove with 65mm stem. Only thing is I have to run extra spacers to get the bars where I want them due to the short HT. I'll probably need a longer stem and setback post for the XL SJ.

Theres a good amount of overlap between these frames (Honzo/SJ) but there's something super cool about this frame, probably the segmented ST and overall lines that appeal to me, and its made in Deutschland!

I did think the Reynolds 853 would make for a lighter frame, but Marc assures this bike is made for serious abuse, a la 140 fork. I run a poor man's dropper post, aka QR clamp, so 27.2 = more weight/$ savings.

mtbr member
    Spek, you're totally in XL territory, I wouldn't even think about XXL. Plus, the XL frame already weighs 6.5 lbs, so the XXL might weigh more than the Honzo!

20L Honzo fits like a glove with 65mm stem. Only thing is I have to run extra spacers to get the bars where I want them due to the short HT. I'll probably need a longer stem and setback post for the XL SJ.

Theres a good amount of overlap between these frames (Honzo/SJ) but there's something super cool about this frame, probably the segmented ST and overall lines that appeal to me, and its made in Deutschland!

I did think the Reynolds 853 would make for a lighter frame, but Marc assures this bike is made for serious abuse, a la 140 fork. I run a poor man's dropper post, aka QR clamp, so 27.2 = more weight/$ savings.
    I couldn't agree more, I fell in love with the QH since I saw it a few months back. And Marc's been real helpfup too along the way.

And hopefully that 2.25 tire clearance is only due to a running a front derailleur, I'm hoping to tuck in a 2.35/2.4 tire in there running only 1x9.

And the 27.2" seat tube allows me to run the Thomson post a little more extended if need be, and like yourself, I don't run a dropper post, nor do I have any plans in the near future for one. And all these dropper compatible seat tubes (30.9, 31.6) require more insertion anyway of the Thomson post, which is the biggest reason why I was set on the XX, as the XL cockpit is already roomier than the TransAM, just a nudge, but that's all I'm looking for.

I already spoke with Marc today and will get back to me with complete pricing and shipping on Monday, along with asking Ingo @ 2SoulsCycles about the XXL downtube availability, but with the 27.2" seatpost size, saving a few hundred $$$, and XL availability now, I'm pretty sold on the Slim Jim XL

mtbr member
    Bring on the QUARTER HORSE!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I received my Slim Jim yesterday!

****in' great! And yes, it's a 2,4" Ardent in the back.
    Last edited by krull; 02-08-2012 at 02:29 PM.

mtbr member
    I thought you're getting a QH frame, no?
    Quote Originally Posted by krull View Post

****in' great! And yes, it's a 2,4" Ardent in the back.
    That's funny, Ingo told me there's no way to fit a 2.4 Ardent in the back, AT ALL.

Mind posting some chainstay clearance pics with that tire in there? Sliders all the way in?

And I'm slowly over this frame for the time being, the XL SJ/QH is too small, and the XXL is not going to be made any time soon, I'm tired of waiting and want to try a 29er project in time for spring.

Saved myself over $700+ last night and ordered a Kona Honzo 20" frame, plan on running that with a 70/80 Thomson X4 stem and 410 Thomson Setback seatpost and I'm right around the geometry of the XXL QH.

Plan #123-D
    Sweet ride Krull!
    C'mon lets go for a whirl.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    That's funny, Ingo told me there's no way to fit a 2.4 Ardent in the back, AT ALL.

Mind posting some chainstay clearance pics with that tire in there? Sliders all the way in?

And I'm slowly over this frame for the time being, the XL SJ/QH is too small, and the XXL is not going to be made any time soon, I'm tired of waiting and want to try a 29er project in time for spring.

Saved myself over $700+ last night and ordered a Kona Honzo 20" frame, plan on running that with a 70/80 Thomson X4 stem and 410 Thomson Setback seatpost and I'm right around the geometry of the XXL QH.
    Sliders are all the way out, as you see on the pics and that's the only way to fit a 2,4" tire in the back of the Slim Jim (note that the Ardent is huge). I guess Ingo just wants to be 100% correct and ensure, that nobody complains about the tire clearance after buying the frame. Maybe there are some 2,4" tires that don't fit.

If you want a 2,4" tire in the back and the sliders all the way in you have to wait for the Quaterhorse.

mtbr member
    ^ Well it looks awesome either way, what size did you get? M? And hard to tell but it's the powdercoated finish right?

JB
    I received my Slim Jim yesterday!

[****in' great! And yes, it's a 2,4" Ardent in the back.
    Krull,

Why get both SJ and QH, seems a bit redundant?

mtbr member
    Krull,

Why get both SJ and QH, seems a bit redundant?
    I don't think he ever had the QH, only a test trial IIRC.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    ^ Well it looks awesome either way, what size did you get? M? And hard to tell but it's the powdercoated finish right?
    It's an M and it's the powdercoated finish.

I don't think he ever had the QH, only a test trial IIRC.
    Exactly.

mtbr member
    Where were the pics taken at? Looks like a nice spot.

mtbr member
    Sliders are all the way out, as you see on the pics and that's the only way to fit a 2,4" tire in the back of the Slim Jim (note that the Ardent is huge). I guess Ingo just wants to be 100% correct and ensure, that nobody complains about the tire clearance after buying the frame. Maybe there are some 2,4" tires that don't fit.

If you want a 2,4" tire in the back and the sliders all the way in you have to wait for the Quaterhorse.
    Hi, is the limiting factor with the 2.4 the FD, seat tube or chain stay clearance?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshM View Post
    In the south of Vienna (Austria/Europe).

Quote Originally Posted by Nyquist View Post
    Hi, is the limiting factor with the 2.4 the FD, seat tube or chain stay clearance?
    Clearance to the right chainstay. On the quaterhorse this is not an issue. The Test-Quaterhorse I've ridden allows to set the sliders in the shortest position while riding a 2,4" Ardent in the back.

mtbr member
    How come krull you went for the SJ and the QH frame? I swear the SJ frame/idea just popped out of nowhere. I have yet to see a production QH posted anywhere lol.

JB

Snow/trials Video

Quote Originally Posted by JoshM View Post
    Krull, looking forward to the accompanying snow/trials riding video!

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    In the south of Vienna (Austria/Europe).
    very cool shot.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Also received a slim jim last thursday. Unfortunately I have just registered to this forum so I'm not able post pics before I've written 10 posts. Just wanted to contribute on this tire clearance issue. I'm running mine as single speed with 2.4 Ardent and the dropouts are about in the middle with 32-18 gearing. I still have some 5mm clearance to the right chainstay, which I think is enough. It's an L frame and the rims are bontrager duster (from -09 GF Rig). So at least with L frame it seems that you can get away with 2.4 fairly ok. Depending of course what you consider as sufficient clearance and what rim you use.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Did I mention that I LOVE this bike and my new fork?

I love to ride it on flowy singletracks...

...and on steep sections:

And I like my new tires:

Photos are all shot by a friend of mine -> (c) Bernhard Glessing www.emittedlight.com Sportfotograf und Pressefotograf

mtbr member
    Awesome shots!!! How do you like the fork vs the Reba 140?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast