Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

29FS vs Thudbuster

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Captain_America1976 
#1 ·
Hey folks... I am aging and my injuries continue to nag. I ride a couple of different hardtails, two being 29ers... carbon and steel. Trying to find a reasonable way to take the edge off of XC.

Q1: Other than a YBB, are their any other really short travel rear-sus 29er frames out there. Haven't found many and YBB $$$ are not doable.

Q2: Thudbuster... anyone run the SL version? What do you think of it?

#3 ·
No experience on one, but several riding buddies in my local club swear that a Salsa Spearfish rides as close to a HT as a FS bike can. Our trails range from smooth hardpack to rooty stuff in central NC (Charlotte area).

I ride a Jones Diamond frame with a ST Thudbuster and really like the setup. I read alot about the LT version riding like a pogo stick, so I opted for the ST. I still stand on really rooty sections, but the Thud allows me to stay seated on single root roll-overs and the like. In general, I'm a sit-and-spin rider rather than a stand-and-mash, so I think the Thud benefits my ride style.

#4 ·
I am a long time user of the ST on hardtails....currently a Vassago Bandersnatch. No it is not FS. Why people expect that from it I dont know. On big hits you still must stand and use the body as suspension. But most bumps are small-2in or less-and it will let you pedal through them. Also can add traction on climbs and when you learn the technique of resting thigh to seat in turns add traction there as well. Like anything-it has a learning curve. I have back and joint trouble-enough to take meds-and it keeps me riding! Will help out if you let it do its job.

#5 ·
I ran a USE shock post for years in the '90s on my Homegrown HT...it was great and really did take the edge off of trail chatter that you normally ride over w/o standing. Was it FS?...of course not. I currently have a Niner RDO carbon post and it moves a lot..enough that I can push down and see it move back. Works great, but not a suspension post for sure.

#9 ·
Thudbuster will only take the edge off when seated. Descending I'm standing 100% of the time, climbing I'm standing 90% of the time. The only time I'm really seated is on long boring flats or small inclines/declines which don't require suspension. SO IMO thudbusters are a waste of money and only really helps those riders with bad habits (ie. Sitting while going over bumps or descending).

I've ridden full rigged SS 29er for years but recently decided to get my first full suspension 29er to take the edge off my ride. (i've ridden FS 26er in the past). My choice was a short travel (80-100mm) XC 29er. I ended up with the Salsa Spearfish. As far as taking the edge off bumps it's been nothing short of a dream to ride. I haven't noticed any loss in pedaling performance and I feel faster on it than I do my hardtails. If given a choice I would go for a FS 29er over thudbuster every time.

#10 ·
^^My thoughts exactly. Thud is simply a crutch, for bad riding habits. The extra weight does not justify it's usefulness...which is limited to eroded fire roads and pothole-strewn rails-to-trails pavement.

A FS 29er with a good, progressive-rate rear shock more than suffices.

#11 ·
I rode a FS bike for 10 years. Now I ride a HT 29er with an LT Thudbuster. It really does improve comfort. Of course it's not full suspension, but I no longer wanted that. I just wanted something to take a little bit of sting out of the ride, and it does that well enough.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.