Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

29er's for short people too!

I read a lot that 29er's are mostly suitable for taller people but I am 5'7 and have kind of short legs and I love mine. Even the sales guy at REI tried to steer me away from them. I have zero standover clearance but it doesn't bother me, at least not yet. Anyone other shorter folks out there riding the 29?

mtbr member
    You are not alone.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    You are not alone.
    That's good to know.

you do this at my size
    My wife and 2 of our friends all under 5'6" are riding 29ers with no problem. Our friends race and won't go back to 26".
    if you don't feel like riding, that's usually when you need it most

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by BOAB
    My wife and 2 of our friends all under 5'6" are riding 29ers with no problem. Our friends race and won't go back to 26".
    I really like the way they ride and I will probably only ride a 29er from now on.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I am 5"5'' and just bought a Specialized RockHopper 29er Comp with a 15" frame and have good standover. It has the best standover of the standard (non-custom build) production 29er's that I have found for shorter people.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    my wife is 5'7 and just got a kona 29er with a 18 size frame. she really likes it and does not want to go back to a 26er.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    For the record, Marin and Novara 29ers at REI tend to have pretty tall top tubes. The sales guy at REI may not have known that there are other 29ers that offer better standover clearance.

I have a GT Peace 9r and Vassago Bandersnatch, both of which are pretty generous in the top tube clearance area.
    Enjoy the ride!

Noli Me Tangere
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by LBIkid
    For the record, Marin and Novara 29ers at REI tend to have pretty tall top tubes. The sales guy at REI may not have known that there are other 29ers that offer better standover clearance.
    I agree. Rather lose the sale by saying bike 'X' will fit, they'll sell you a bike they already have in-store.

One of my best buds is shorter than you and he fit it fine when loaned him my Redline MC29er for a ride

Check out other LBS's and test ride other manufacturers before saying no to 29ers.
    Annie are you ok? Are you ok, Annie?

those are Rollercams...
    5'4" on a small Salsa Fargo

Truly a wealth of useless information.

http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    You think you're too short for a 29er? About 5'1" here and building up a small Niner Air 9! I sorta got into the 29er thing very recently and more on a whim when I was looking for a 700c hybrid bike. This whole bigger wheel thing got me looking at 29er bikes. I haven't really had a chance to ride a real 29er MTB but have tried a couple of 700c bikes with the same measurements as the Air 9. There didn't seem to be such a big difference, and I really didn't feel like the bikes were big at all. One even had a nice standover height! The ones I tried had a 70-75mm stem with seat posts that had a small setback, so fit wasn't all that great though nothing a smaller stem plus handlebar with a bigger back sweep can't fix for a better fitment.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

2008 and 2009 Stumpjumper 29er's

One of the smallest stock 29er frames out there, believe me I checked around. My wife is 5'2" with a 70mm stem, it fits perfect and still has standover height. Built with a reba and Stans ZTR race wheelset, comes in at 20lbs without a chain, cog, or pedals (on order). Standover is just under 28".

All the women Gary Fisher team riders are on 29ers now too, that speaks volumes when they could ride 26'ers....that is until next season when Fisher goes only 29er's
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 29er's for short people too!-specialized-standover.jpg  

29er's for short people too!-stumpjumper.jpg  

Last edited by MqtRider; 03-19-2010 at 05:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    i have a rx29er and mach429,Iam 5'7'' no shoes on a good day,I havnt had any issues.my inseam is 29''
    scs

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Just bought a (new to me) IF Steel Deluxe 29er

Any of you guys have toe lap issues? First thing i noticed yesterday while riding down the street for a test ride.

PS. I'm 5'6"!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    GT Zaskar 9r at 5'8, I ride a small but had to lengthen the stem 10mm.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    From a kiddy wheel riders' point of view A 26er zealot would remark
    You all lie! you can't enjoy riding a 29er unless you are over 6'- no way. The proportions of 26er are ideal so 29er puts them off. Why would you ride a bike the proportions of which are different than commonplace&widely spread 26er? Besides 29ers are too heavy for you= you can't enjoy them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mrook15
    I read a lot that 29er's are mostly suitable for taller people but I am 5'7 and have kind of short legs and I love mine. Even the sales guy at REI tried to steer me away from them. I have zero standover clearance but it doesn't bother me, at least not yet. Anyone other shorter folks out there riding the 29?
    I'm 5'4 and have been enjoying my GF Ferrous 29 for almost a year now and love it.
    Standover should not be an issue on the right bike.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by mrook15
    She's 5'3" and loves it. She had her first three rides this week over 2 hours long each. Now it's snowing again.

CockyAIR9Owner

nothing to see here
    Quote Originally Posted by dixie_cragger
    Just bought a (new to me) IF Steel Deluxe 29er

Any of you guys have toe lap issues? First thing i noticed yesterday while riding down the street for a test ride.

PS. I'm 5'6"!
    Are you using flat pedals?
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    My wife's 5'6" and one ride on my medium Niner and she want's to sell her 26" mtb.

She says it feels very comfortable and (though I am biased) the bike does fit her well and she looks good on it.

It's going to be a good spring and summer

not so super...
    5'7" - I ride a small Vassago and a medium Turner.
    Nothing to see here.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    anyone know what size GT peace 9r SS I should get if I am 5'8'?
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

Currently in Exile
    Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris
    anyone know what size GT peace 9r SS I should get if I am 5'8'?
    I'm 5'6" and went with a medium. I have a 32" inseam though so standover isn't a problem for me. I generally tend to like a longer top tube also. So YMMV.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

mtbr member
    May 2009
    canfield nimble 9. there were really short people at interbike riding it. i forget her name but one woman was riding it and i don't think she's north 0f 5'5''. it would fit you.

mtbr member
    Just 5' 3 1/2" on a small Gary Fisher Paragon. Love it!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast