Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    see me rollin, they hatin

29ers for short people

ok, this wont be my bike, but i may be borrowing it. we might want a 29er hardtail as a backup bike, and i'm only 5'3 with a short torso, and the guy who will mostly be riding it is only 5'5. we've looked at some of the major brands and the top tube is just way too long in the smallest size. Do they hate short people? of have we not been looking in the right place? i would normally ride a women's small or XS and he rides men's XS (if they have that size) or small. thanks bubs.

Bike Snob
    You failed to mention what size/brand the bike is, this could make a difference.

I know plenty of shorter people on 29ers. I am 5'7" and usually ride a medium so I am not sure what your boy is doing on a xs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    One of my good friends is about 5'2 and he rides a 15" Hardrock 29er. It looks comical with the big wheels but he is decently fast with it now that he is used to it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    What is your inseam measurement?

I'm 5'8" (32" inseam) and just bought a 29'er. I got the 39.5cm frame. I tried some larger frames but they just didn't feel right. The 39.5 fits perfect and the seat still has plenty of adjustment left.

I could measure the distance from the top tube to the ground if you would like......
    Trek Mamba, '97 Specialized FSR

Quote Originally Posted by can't get right View Post
    You failed to mention what size/brand the bike is, this could make a difference.

I know plenty of shorter people on 29ers. I am 5'7" and usually ride a medium so I am not sure what your boy is doing on a xs.
    he is short and stout, right now riding a Giant Trance, extra small. he seems to think thats the best fit for some reason. but they've gotten rid of XS i heard. anyway, i think we read up on Giant, Trek and Specialized and maybe a few others. he has a bad shoulder and maybe thats why he doesnt want to lean too far. I happen to have a bad wrist. just a couple gimps over here

Rip 9
    Mar 2007
    My wife and I both ride size small 29ers, I'm 5,7 with a 30 inch inseam and she's about the same height with a bit shorter inseam.

Lot's of good threads here about this on various forums including the women's lounge, and check out Niner's website and sizing info.

Short-Change-Hero
    Bikesdirect (motobecane) make a 14" (xs) 29er and was actually thinking about picking one of those up for my wife as she is 5' nothing.
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    You can do it, but why? A 26'r will fit most people under 5' 7" better!

mtbr member
    I'm 5'6" with 32 "true" inseam (pants are 29") and ride a medium Specialized. With a 70mm inverted stem and 680mm bars I end up with a moderately aggressive riding position.

If you have a shorter inseam and want to keep the bars somewhat level to the saddle, you might have a hard time fitting a 29er. If you ride with the bars above the saddle anyway, I don't think fit would be an issue. Some shorter riders just don't like the feel of 29ers though so try to demo one first if you can.

Flaccid Member
    We've got a 5 ' 1" gal goes by the name of Godzilla in japanese, tiny little thing, that rides with us on a Niner RIP in a small. No problems with stand over. some suggestions... go short on the stem, 50mm, and don't be afraid to use plenty of spacers under the steerer tube to get the handle bars up.

One other suggestion... I had a shoulder injury too, and the best thing I ever did was switch to a Marzocchi fork set up plush... a Micro TI 29'er, they are on sale now. It has allowed my shoulder to heal almost fully, because it just does such a better job of sucking up small and mid sized chatter and is so tuneable. The pain is gone, no more aggravation, since switching to the plushness of a marzocchi 29'er fork. YMMV..

mtbr member
    I'm 5'7" and rode a small Niner RIP9 and now have a medium Turner Sultan. I am mostly torso so they both fit pretty well. If you are mostly legs, it will take more to make the proper fit (stems, bars, seatposts, etc.). If you are coming from a 26" bike now, the bike may feel "tall" and possibly less agile. It took me a while to get used to. I know this is the 29er forum, but you may want to hop onto the 650b forum to get a different opinion. I'm wheel size agnostic.

turtles make me hot
    My daughter is 5'3 or 4" and rides a Gary Fisher Cobia with a 15" frame. Works great.
    I like turtles

Old school BMXer
    Seriously? Another "29er for short people" thread? How many of these are there a week?
    May the air be filled with tires!

Warrior's Society
    My wife loves her "S" Niner E.M.D. and she is 5'3".......5'3.5" on a good day.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    I ride a Misfit diSSent small frame and I'm 5'5". Best $250 I ever spent. I absolutely love that bike, so much that I rarely ride my 2k plus 26 FS bike.
    Misfit diSSent 1x10
    Jet 9

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I wear a 30 inseam, but it's because I can't find anything shorter in my town. I ordered a Hardrock Disc 29er in the 17.5" frame and had to exchange it for the 15.5" frame. I am 100% more comfortable and safe on the smaller frame. Gotta be honest, when I first saw them wheel the small frame out to the showroom, I thought it was a ladies bike (it's not), but after taking it for a ride, I wouldn't have cared if it was HOT PINK, the dang thing just fit and I love riding it.

Here she is...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 29ers for short people-hrck1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Lito, how much does that weigh? I have a 21" frame and am just wondering because mine was 32.5lbs stock.

mtbr member
    I have a turner in small 2010. Love the bike, for some reason Dave Turner decided to cancel the small. If you can find one I highly highly recommend
    "Chancho. When you are a man sometimes you wear stretchy pants... Its for fun..."

mtbr member
    I'm riding a 16" Haro Mary 29er... it was the only 29er that I tried that I didn't feel like I was on some sort of circus ride, all the others I felt like I was sitting WAY too high. I'm still getting used to the bigger wheels, but it feels much better than the others I tried.

I'm a 5'6" guy.

-Eric
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 29ers for short people-001haromary.jpg  

mtbr member
    With a view to getting the handlebar in the 26erish place. Why not? Some of you might think that stem must soar only. It takes time to get used to it, just like we've gotten used to bigger wheels. Why not inverted riserbars plus flipped stems? Do we really need to take after 26er standards and proportions? 29ers are not 26ers.

:smt098

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogii View Post
    You can do it, but why? A 26'r will fit most people under 5' 7" better!
    But the wheels are 26".....that is the problem.

we have no beef with 26 wheels. We are selling the current 26inch hard tail, and figured it would be something different to try. i dont expect it to fit me well, but even he thinks they'll all be too long. but there are times when i may be riding it if my bike is out of commission.

ps, i'm sorry that this has been asked before. but we're not just short, we're WEIRD short. quirky body types. i have a short torso and long legs. he's the opposite. we are probably about 30 inseam, even though we are different heights.

in the end, we probably wont get a 29er. all the trails around here are very tight and rocky. dont shoot me if i'm wrong about this, but from what i've heard from people who have ridden both, that some trails are better and some are worse when it comes to 26 and 29.

mtbr member
    you are not going to get a good standover height on most anything 29er, although i thought specialized had the myka which is for females?

im 5'6" and have a had 2 small framed 29ers. my FS gives me about an inch between my gentleman bits and the top tube. on my hardtail my gentleman bits rest on the top tube.

havent had an issue on either bike. just focus on the fit while you are seated and riding IMO
    Gary Fisher HiFi Deluxe 29er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    in the end, we probably wont get a 29er. all the trails around here are very tight and rocky. dont shoot me if i'm wrong about this, but from what i've heard from people who have ridden both, that some trails are better and some are worse when it comes to 26 and 29.
    Niner Jet9 RDO has 27,2" standover, go for it!
    Niner Jet9 RDO vs. Ibis Mojo SLR - Female rider 5'4"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast