mtbr member
    May 2008

29ers- New Trek Fuel EX9 vs Stumpy Elite vs Scott Genius 920 vs ???

Looking for a new bike in the $3500-4000 range. Have ridden the Stumpy and really liked it. Looking to ride the Trek and the Genius this week.

I'm looking for a bike that is as light as possible and climbs as well as it descends. Want it to be as quick and flick-able as possible too. Intrigued by the Trek full floater/ DRCV. Have also heard good things about the Scott suspension. The Genius has the advantage of bar-mounted suspension controls...

Any thoughts on this? Any other bikes that need to be on the list? I have my funds together, so am looking to get the search finished as quick as possible and get my new ride!

Thanks in advance for any advice/ input.

mtbr member
    May 2013

New bike times are hard...

I just got the 2014 Fuel EX9 29er, first ride on it today... it was fantastic.

Coming from a Scott Genius 26er, it's not anywhere near as flickable but it climbs better and hammers downhill in rough terrain better. The rear suspension feels bottomless once setup properly (had to let some air out as it rides quite firm). I frequently blew through my genius' travel- no issues on the new Fuel.

I thought I would miss the handlebar remote lockout, but the trail mode of the CTD was perfect for everything except the most technical descents or climbs, and its easy to just reach down and flick the leavers.

I went for the fuel EX 9 over others (trance, scott 920, stumpy) because:
    -Geometry and frame/ride position fit me best
    -full XT is nice (no mixing of components)
    -Fox Forks (and Kashima)
    -Reverb stealth dropper as standard
    -full floater + ABP + DRCV is a winning combo. Feels like 130mm but its only 120mm.

Good luck picking a new bike!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 29ers- New Trek Fuel EX9  vs Stumpy Elite vs Scott Genius 920 vs ???-964294_10151420432657601_212527955_o.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Koura View Post

Coming from a Scott Genius 26er, it's not anywhere near as flickable but it climbs better and hammers downhill in rough terrain better. The rear suspension feels bottomless once setup properly (had to let some air out as it rides quite firm). I frequently blew through my genius' travel- no issues on the new Fuel.

I thought I would miss the handlebar remote lockout, but the trail mode of the CTD was perfect for everything except the most technical descents or climbs, and its easy to just reach down and flick the leavers.

-Fox Forks (and Kashima)
    -full floater + ABP + DRCV is a winning combo. Feels like 130mm but its only 120mm.

Thanks a bunch for for the report. That's exactly the info I was hoping for. Looking forward to demo-ing the Fuel on Tuesday. I'll probably still demo the Genius too. Have you ridden a Genius 29er?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Koura View Post

-Fox Forks (and Kashima)

That EX 9 is niiiiice pal!

Makes me wanna do something crazy. I have a 6 month old 2013 Rumblefish Pro. I wonder how much of a hit I'd take trading in for an EX 9? I want one NOW

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hey Koura,

Nice Trek, any chance you can give me an idea of the weight and what size it is.

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalm100 View Post
    Hey Koura,

Nice Trek, any chance you can give me an idea of the weight and what size it is.

Thanks
    It's a 19.5" (large) frame and weighs 13.4kg (29 1/2 lbs) with cheap shimano SPD's

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Currently going through the same process as you. I demo rode the Scott Genius 920 this weekend. It was my first demo ride of several bikes Im looking at. I too will demo the new Trek Fuel EX9. Ill also be trying the Yeti SB 95C and the Ibis Ripley. My current ride is a 2004 Stumpjumper FSR Pro Comp. Its been a great bike for 10 years, but for the type of riding I do, 29 is the way to go.

Since this was my first true ride on a 29er, I dont have anything to compare it to yet, but the Scott line was recommended by a friend who has worked in a few bike shops. He raved about the Twin-loc and now that I have experienced it, it is a huge advantage of this bike to the competition.

My first ride was a fairly steep techie climb through water bars and rock gardens. Its a ride I do fairly often on the Stumpy, but the Scott plowed through everything and I set a personal best on the climb, without even trying. Because this ride is a short out (up) and back (down) I did not mess with Twin-loc. Left it in Trail for the climb Descend for the return.

My ride the second day was much more varied and I got very comfortable using the Twin-loc. The mild fire road climb was in C. Then back and forth on singletrack climb between C and T. Then into D for some ripping technical descents.

I had an older carbon Trek before the Stumpy, but theyve made a lot of improvements with carbon in the last 15 years.

Great ride. Light, stiff and responsive. Ive read some reviews and spoken with other riders that have a concern about 29ers on tight singletrack. I hit plenty of tight singletrack on my rides and had no issues with this bike. It totally ripped.

Ill see how the other demos go, but I could easily see myself coming back to this bike for the Twin-loc.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    It was my first demo ride of several bikes Im looking at. I too will demo the new Trek Fuel EX9.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Confirm

First post. Long time lurker. I have had my2014 Trek Fuel EX 029 for 4 weeks. I live on THE "north shore".' 800 yards from Sex Boy trail. Buy this bike!
    Attached Images Attached Images