Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Are 29ers just tall people bikes?

Hi,

I am 5' 7'' and wish to get into mountain biking. I am use to 26 inch wheel bikes, and these 29ers look like giganto mountain people bikes.

How many are out there using 29ers that are 5' 8'' and under and weight less than 160 pounds?

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by elbowtko View Post
    Hi,

I am 5' 7'' and wish to get into mountain biking. I am use to 26 inch wheel bikes, and these 29ers look like giganto mountain people bikes.

How many are out there using 29ers that are 5' 8'' and under and weight less than 160 pounds?
    My wife likes her 29er & she is 5'3

mtbr member
    My wife, and at least one other wife of one of the guys in the group I ride with both fit (easily) into your size category and ride 29ers. I don't think a 29er being the "right bike" has anything to do with size at all. I think it's all about what you are comfortable on, and what you can handle. I know a guy my size who rides a 26er because he can't make a 29er turn, but I can get on either of my 29ers and stick right with him. It's all about personal preference, and nothing to do with size.

Dudette
    I'm 5'4" and rock two 29ers! Misfit Dissent and Trance X 29er. I agree with Cotharyus 100% - I'm riding trails now that I had the worst time on my 26" bike but my 29er seems to take right to them. And I'm not just talking about going over stuff - I'm talking about twists and turns, too. The bikes just feel "right" to me. Not all of them are huge and there are more and more companies out there who are addressing the needs of smaller riders and making it possible for them to enjoy the benefits of 29ers, too. You won't know until you try, so get out there and demo some if you get the chance!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I.m 5'5" and built up a 29er last spring. I have only rode my 26er one time since then. I love the 29er and am glad I never bought into the hype 29ers are for taller people. I find a 29er to fit my needs so much better. Different strokes for different folks, try some out to see if you like them.

San Miguel Beer Drinker
    Apr 2009
    im 5'7" and i use a medium xtc 29er.

mtbr member
    Noo! Im 5'8/9'' and have sold all the 26'' bikes and gone for 29ers.
    I will not be going back.. ever.

Canfield Yelli Screamy. 180' on a slab. - YouTube

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    5'9 with a 17.5" 29er that rides quite nicely if I may say so.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I'm a very tall guy at 6'5". I have both frame sizes. There is no difference in performance from one to the other just because 29ers 'supposedly' fit tall people better. The bigger wheels aestheically look better, no doubt about it, but that's about it.

Very small folks will have issues with the 29er on several fronts.
    1: The front ends can only be made so low.
    2: Standover clearance can ony be made so low because of the high front end.
    3: TT length can be ony so short otherwise toe overlap issues occur.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Muddy Dawg View Post
    5'9 with a 17.5" 29er that rides quite nicely if I may say so.
    Same stats for me. I have the stock seat post at the lowest possible position and it fits perfect. So any smaller would probably have to go to a 15.5"

I think once you get used to it, the 29er looking like mountain people bikes will quickly change to 26" looking like little people bikes. (not saying anything bad about either, just a perception change after getting used to my bike)

mtbr member
    May 2010
    173cm and Medium 29er Anthem X, lovin' the big wheels!

meh... whatever
    5'7" is definitely not to short to rule out a 29er. just the opposite, in fact.

people much shorter than you love and ride them too. speaking of which, a guy on here posted a picture of a blacksheep (iirc) frame some years ago that was either 12" or 13"!
    "The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away."

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by dru View Post
    The bigger wheels aestheically look better, no doubt about it, but that's about it.
    i would respectfully disagree. there are many viable benefits to the 29" wheelsize over the 26". but as they've been covered ad infinitum on the board over several years there's no reason to repeat them here.
    "The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away."

Custom Wheelbuilder
    In the early days of 29ers, they really were a tall guys bike. Nowadays though, most companies are starting to get geometry and whatnot dialed even in the small and medium size frames.
    I would say go for it. The bigger wheels are advantageous on almost all terrain except for extremely tight switchbacks which hopefully you don't have to deal with too much.
    Check out www.zencyclery.com for fully customizable, handbuilt wheels.

www.facebook.com/zencyclerywheels

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I'm 5'8" 160 lbs and love my medium Anthem X 29er...haven't touched my old 26er since getting the big wheels

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by monogod View Post
    i would respectfully disagree. there are many viable benefits to the 29" wheelsize over the 26". but as they've been covered ad infinitum on the board over several years there's no reason to repeat them here.
    Mono, I meant specifically with respect to tall people. I certainly agree with the benefits of the big wheels for people of any height.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    There is no interplay between height of rider and wheel size, within reason. Bottom bracket height, stand over height, and top tube length are the relevant measurements. All three are independent of wheel size, again within reason.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I`am 5` 6" and 145 lbs .. Use Scott Scale 950 small with no problem
    Scott scale 950 29er
    Cannondale F7 SS 32/18 26er

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    5'7" 180lbs. Just got my 1st 29er. It felt way different to me. I felt like I had a lower center of gravity, more control and had to work less to make the bike do more. I always felt like I had to sit really far back on a 26" so I didn't feel like I was going over the bars. This bike feels SO comfortable and for $600 was a great introductory bike into the 29er arena. Couldn't be happier.

meh... whatever

huh?

Mono, I meant specifically with respect to tall people. I certainly agree with the benefits of the big wheels for people of any height.

Drew
    so you're saying that specifically with respect to tall people the only advantage to 29er wheels is aesthetic while at the same time saying that big wheels benefit people of any height???

i'm being confused here, not combative...

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by monogod View Post
    so you're saying that specifically with respect to tall people the only advantage to 29er wheels is aesthetic while at the same time saying that big wheels benefit people of any height???

i'm being confused here, not combative...
    Yes, aesthetics are the only specific benefit with respect to tallness.

The 29er wheels help everyone regardless of height although smaller riders may have frame fit issues.

I'm just trying to counteract B.S. statements like '29ers work better for taller riders', more than likely written by people who don't have a clue about being very tall and how that relates to fit and bike handling.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Yes, aesthetics are the only specific benefit with respect to tallness.

The 29er wheels help everyone regardless of height although smaller riders may have frame fit issues.

I'm just trying to counteract B.S. statements like '29ers work better for taller riders', more than likely written by people who don't have a clue about being very tall and how that relates to fit and bike handling.

Drew
    I don't think he's contradicting himself. My understanding of his statement is that the 29ers look a little more physically appealing under a taller guy, since the bike is more proportional. Which leads some people to think its a better choice for the taller rider. Not the case at all. I've seen riders of all sizes benefit from 29 inch wheels...as he also said. Good to hear from the taller guys. I'm 6'1 and the bike genuinely feels like it fits me better...but most of the benefits come from the actual wheel size...not the size of the rider. Especially with so many manfuactures dialing in the geometry for the shorter riders.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Thank you!
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    5' 6" and 160 - i sure hope they arent just for tall people, or all the fun and best mtb riding of my life in the last year was all charade!!

Own an Anthem 29, and have recently demoed the Yeti and Satori - longer travel 29's - all i can say is the new crop of bikes I've ridden are amazing - even at my height!!

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by drz400sm View Post
    My understanding of his statement is that the 29ers look a little more physically appealing under a taller guy, since the bike is more proportional. Which leads some people to think its a better choice for the taller rider.
    ah... yes indeed. that makes much more sense. trackin with ya now, drew.

i'm 6'3" and have had people say "of course you think 29er's are better, look how tall you are. 29er's are made for tall people, but it wouldn't work for a short person like me". which, of course, is nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by drz400sm
    Especially with so many manfuactures dialing in the geometry for the shorter riders.
    james at blacksheep made either a 12" or 13" 29er for a customer. it was on the board a few years back but i couldn't locate it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast