Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Big Damn Hero
    I'm 6'3 and just recently switched over to a 29er after years of riding 26ers... I feel like I'm riding faster than I ever have before. I haven't noticed any issues with handling other than super tight stuff that I've never been fully comfortable in anyways.

The only downside I've experienced is that the bigger wheels are slower to accelerate.
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. ~ Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Matt page, pro racer uses a 29er and he aint no giant Im only 5'9 and love my 29er. Great bikes for any height

inner peace to make peace
    choose your terrain and style first: stay with 26ers if you pan to handle your XC bike like a DH or BMX bike or your trails have a lot of tight switchbacks.
    The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards & its fighting by fools.

mtbr member
    No, that's like saying Cake is only for fat people.

It's all about the frame size. No matter what your height, there is a company out there with a 29er for you more than likely. I'm 5'10 and ride a 17 inch 29er.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    i have ridden 26ers for a long time and just got a specialized 29er and LOVE it but i have noticed a couple of things with myself by no means am i saying this happens to everyone ...

1. i feel like the 29er is not as nimble as my old 26 (looking at maybe changing bars and stem to possibly fix that or might just live with it and learn to handle it )
    2. 29 er is heavier but myself being 235 not really concerned
    3. it does seem to take it a little bit to get moving nothing that concerns me either
    4. 29er does handle roots and rougher trails much better than my 26

with all that said i LOVE my specialized rockhoper 29er and havent realy gotten back on my old 26 Diamond back zetec,.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I think that if every bike part could be custom made for each rider and their riding style, then we'd see much more size variability then just frame and wheel sizes. The bike has only three touch points, but the differences in our muscular skeletal systems vary quite a bit. Crank length as a function of femur leg length continues to be controversial, saddle dimensions based on sits bones are finally being addressed by seat manufactures , brake levers and their reach are all one size but ideally would be customized based on hand size, and the list could go on and on IF cost was no object.

Proper wheel size it more about center of gravity and the length of wheelbase matched with the height of the rider. (This can get even more complex when you consider the torso/leg ratio variability within riders of the same height.) To use an extreme example to illustrate my point, a previous comment that--bigger wheels are better for all riders, including small riders--should try a pair of size 13 shoes on their next ride and experience where the “bigger wheels are better” mantra gets silly.

For full disclosure, I’m 6’3 and ride a XXL 23” Superfly full suspension with 29” wheels and feel that it’s the first mtn bike that actually fits me well… but not as well as my custom made road bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Small rider and a 29er bike

I am 5'5", 150 lbs and ride a 2012 Trek Superfly 100 Pro 15.5" (small) with no problem.

Choosing a 29er with the right geometry matters much more than the wheel size for small riders. I feel more sitting "in the bike" rather than on it with this 29er than I did with my previous bike of three years, S-works Stumpjumper FSR 26".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by elbowtko View Post
    Hi,

I am 5' 7'' and wish to get into mountain biking. I am use to 26 inch wheel bikes, and these 29ers look like giganto mountain people bikes.

How many are out there using 29ers that are 5' 8'' and under and weight less than 160 pounds?
    Beats me. I am tall, so that means 29ers are my god-given right. Short people creep me out, and should stick to 26ers and middle management. Except women. I dig petite women.
    Mind your own religion.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I'm 5'11 and thinking about buying a 29er, is there a difference in frame sizes? I mean if I'm rocking an XL frame, will I need the same size frame when picking out a 29er? I plan to test fit before buying/ordering but figured I would ask.

Also, is there a difference in ride clearance on a 29er vs a 26" bike? I'm talking about clearances between the cranks or chain rings and the ground?

Thanks.

Ridin' Furry
    6'3 Riding a 29er Stumpjumper comp hardtail, large frame. Fits me perfect. Hopping back on my 26 feels like riding a bmx haha

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I think you get the point already, 29ers aren't just for tall people. I will add that a proper fork will make a difference. I tried out the new Trek Stache with Fox forks and was sold. 2 weeks later, I bought a used specialized rockhopper. The stock fork (Suntour XCM I think) was brutal. I was bouncing around too much because I didn't weigh enough (150lbs). I'm upgrading to an air fork and am hoping that the adjustability of it will get me the ride that made me fall in love with 29ers in the first place.

mtbr member

Size S

m

mtbr member
    May 2011
    My wife is 5'2" and rides a 29er hartail that fits her perfect. Very short stem helped get the fit right.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    A 29r is just larger tires. You can get a smaller frame than a 6'4" guy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I am 5'6" and am more than likely buying a small 2013 scott scale 940. I have test riden the thing enough to call it a used bike at my LBS.

Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012
    6'8" and I'm riding a XXL stumpy hardtail. Loving it. Comming off a XL 08 hardrock 26er. The 29er is amazing, even if the bike is a beast.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3