Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    CS2
    mtbr member

Are 29er's just a passing fad

Being a long 26"rider I'm in the process of selling off some bikes to finance a new 29er. Now, all I see is 27.5" aka 650B.MTBR has the current cover on it. The manufacturers seems to be using planned obsolescence when choosing wheel size. Just to clarify, this is NOT a 26" vs 650B vs 29er thread. Buy whatever you like. Any thoughts?
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

FKA Malibu412
    You of all people. Uhh, maybe they're planning to off 26" wheels??
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    My guess -- and that's all it is -- is that 29 and 27.5 will end up being the winners, with 26 eventually fading away into near obscurity in the mtb world.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    As I understand 650b (and bear in mind I don't have much time on one), the standard offers some of the benefits of 29 inch wheels like better ride and less energy loss by rolling over obstacles easier than 26 inch, while offering some of the 26 inch benefit of quicker steering due to being smaller than 29.

29 seems to have been accepted more quickly than 650b is, but 650 is gaining momentum in the industry. I do have lots of 29 and 26 time, and I truly prefer 29 on a well setup bike.

I also firmly believe, that the industry "innovates" to create new sale$. Some of the innovations are genuine improvements to design and performance while others are just ways to get us off of our "old and obsolete" technology and into stores to produce our wallets. 650b or 29 a fad? Not in my eyes. I see it as a way to offer more choice for different riding styles and platforms as the sport itself changes with growth. 26 will probably fade in the next decade on performance oriented MTB's.
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

get down!
    29ers are here to stay...this was a movement by the people and a few select manufacturers with their ear to the "street"...then other manufacturers jumped on board. If the people demand something different, it will change. I'm happy on my 29er.

Just remember the most important thing...

Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

I'm attracted to Gravity!
    bicycles are a fad.

Single Speed Junkie
    Believe it was Tom Ritchey 30 years back who built a 650b. Seems like everything is coming full circle. Don't think the 26 will die off, but become less dominate and the 650b and 29ers will continue to grow in popularity. Then again that is just one opinion.

mtbr member
    I can't see 26er's being used for cross country much anymore in the near future. I think they will remain in charge of the long travel DH bikes though.

mtbr member
    This question was beat to death 12 yrs ago.
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    My guess -- and that's all it is -- is that 29 and 27.5 will end up being the winners, with 26 eventually fading away into near obscurity in the mtb world.
    I agree with this. IMO 29ers are great hardtail xc bike and very good xc FS bikes. But for the freeride/DH crowd I can't see 29ers working as well as 650b. I think eventually you'll see a bunch of XC HT and XC FS bike in the 80-130mm front suspension range. 650B for more suspension (FR bikes) and DH bikes. The overlap is right around a 120-130mm xc FS bike which probably will be the battleground to see which wheelsize is more dominant. 26 won't go away but will fall into the big box store bikes and DJ bikes.

Me personally I'm keeping my Missy, love the handling and reponsive that frame and my set up offers. If I were to buy another bike I'd like a 650b FS bike with 130mm upfront.
    Misfit diSSent 1x10
    Jet 9

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    that is a completely wrong use of the meme...just fyi.

gunslinger
    I want to run a 29 set up as close to my 26 as possible, on the loop I have the most data on, when i'm at or near peak seasonal condition and see what falls out.

tl1
    Bicyclist
    Yes they are. For the past ten or more years this fad has been building. The fad will bust anytime now just like rock and roll did when they said that was just a fad in the 1950s.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by appleSSeed View Post
    29ers are here to stay...this was a movement by the people and a few select manufacturers with their ear to the "street"...then other manufacturers jumped on board. If the people demand something different, it will change. I'm happy on my 29er.

Just remember the most important thing...

LOL, hilarious!

Your Best Friend
    Is this a thread that someone revived from 2004? No? WTF!
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Way more 29's around my area than 26's. My 26 has been sitting in my garage ever since i got my 29! Lol

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Is this a thread that someone revived from 2004? No? WTF!
    Retro cars and retro bikes are all the rage...why not retro posting?

On subject...there seems to be a place for each wheel size. Doubtful one will replace the other.
    Signature

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigwheel View Post
    This question was beat to death 12 yrs ago.
    650B wasn't even on the radar 12 years ago unless your name is Grant Peterson.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    I sure hope not, I just got my bike

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cstem View Post
    I see it as a way to offer more choice for different riding styles and platforms as the sport itself changes with growth.
    I agree. I'll also say I love the 29, for my riding style its perfect.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'll never own another 26er. The thing feels like a BMX bike under me now when I ride it.

Been thinking of selling my trek 4500 and buying a second rigid 29er for bike path riding.

That's about all the Trek 4500 comes out of the garage for anyways
    [SIZE="5"]It's easy to make a buck, it's much harder to make a difference."[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Hey MTBR circa 2004 called..

They want their thread back.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocop View Post
    I can't see 26er's being used for cross country much anymore in the near future. I think they will remain in charge of the long travel DH bikes though.
    Cannot agree more. I bought 29er for XC this season - I regret that I did not do it much earlier....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast