Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Super Clyde

Are 29ers the best thing since sliced bread like everyone clams?

I'm starting to look for a new bike, and of course 29ers are on my radar. A little history, I'm riding a 12 year old Jamis 26er I built from scratch. Even though is a little dated. (8 speed, 17 year old hand built wheels, V-Brakes, etc.), is still what I would consider a nice bike. It has full XT groupo, and an RS Tora air fork. I've been riding on the road to try and get back in shape, and have lost just shy of 20 pounds (currently 6' and 350). I feel myself getting stronger and faster, and I want to throw in a little trail riding. Is a 29er as good for road riding as it is for off road? I'd still be riding mostly on the road, with 3-5 trail rides a month. Nothing major, but pretty hilly with rocks and roots, and pretty technical with lots of switchbacks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    29ers are developing into good trail bikes and the wheel size is the same as road bikes, so with the right tires it would work fine.
    But your bike seems to be doing the current job. You will need a bit of cash to equal it in a 29. Air fork will be a must with a solid wheelset--1.5-2k for a hard tail.

mtbr member
    Yes!
    But I would advise you that at 350# if you buy a less expensive bike it will have inadequate wheels. Make sure you verify the weight limits on perspective wheels. The frames would be no problem but the wheels are a different story. Stans wheels (after market), for instance publish all the advised weight limits for all their wheels.

Old Fart Swamper
    29er's do all the boring stuff better than sliced bread,
    26er's do all the tight tech stuff better than sliced bread,

My 29er shines in florida sugar sand and once I get er rolling it just goes and goes
    with so little effort to keep going...

But that's me,, was six ft 200 pounds, now 180, headed for a target of 175 pounds

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Definitely the best thing since everyones clams!

Super Clyde
    The three I'm going to start looking at are the Trek Stache 7, The Niner EMD9, and the Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29. Wheels are a concern for obvious reasons, as is an air fork. I tried riding a coil spring fork once, it didn't end well.

I'm going to ride a Niner on Friday, and the Stumpjumper and Stache next week sometime. I can't wait to ride the Niner, I've heard nothing but good things about them. On the other hand, my favorite LBS sells Trek and Specialized, so the Niner is going to really have to make me swoon to not buy at the LBS that gets all my other business.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Difference in the geo between the Stache(and other Treks) and the SJumper. Steep head tube angle on the Spec and slacker on Trek bikes. Shows up more on faster downhill sections with slacker being more stable.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

6' and 380 here. I bought a Carve SL to ride to get back into shape. I had a set of Stans 36h custom built for me by Southern Wheel Works. He said they would be bomb proof for my weight. I hated the Fox fork on my Trek 8500 so I sold it and just bought a rigid fork 29r. I was torn between the Carve and the Niner. Ended up with the Carve for the blacked out look. Either way, I was buying a rigid since I didn't like the squishy feeling of a front shock on the road. Change the wheel set and tires, it'll look completely different. Here's mine with road tires on factory wheels and with the custom white spokes with RR's.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I ride a Santa Cruz Nomadc 26er on my local (rocky steep) trails and commute on a 3 year old first generation Pivot 429. This is a great 29er on the road. Fast geo, super strong stiff frame, and really efficient DW link suspension. Handles trail work like a champ too. It's an XL with the factory XT (2010) build and Schwalbe Furious Fred tires (a must on the road) and it weighs 27 lbs. you can find these used for a great price. If I were to sell mine with mostly highway miles, I would ask $2000 and take $1500.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Stache 8 has SLX brakes, Shadow Plus rear derailleur and a better fork. I'd try for it at a discount down to 2k before going for the 7. Trek dealers do discount.

Old Fart Swamper

Cool-blue Rhythm

I saw a Stache 8 in person, the rider had only a few rides on it, was a long time MTB'er.
    Had grown tired of full suspension, Florida is sandy and power comes first.
    He took the time to chat and we coverd every Inch of the bike. Its all in the details.

Review: Trek Stache 8 ? Rally 29er Hardtail | Mountain Bike Review It will be my next bike purchase.

mtbr member
    At 350#'s, not sure sliced bread is such a good thing

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I know that the Roval wheels that came on my 2012 Stumpjumper Comp HT were pretty stout. I ended up immediately swapping them out for lighter custom wheels, but they aren't 'bad' wheels.

At your weight you 'may' have some trouble, but really, just keep an eye on the wheels and the tension. I think you'll be fine.

mtbr member
    YES!!! I don't like bread.

29ers Forever
    29ers are surprisingly fun on the road. This past weekend I decided to ride on the road. Going down a hill at 37 mph, the bike was nearly stabler than at 10 mph. The 29er has wheels bigger than that on a road bike, so they will keep speed much easier.
    You will most definitely find a difference in feel between the 26er and 29er.
    2013 Trek Cobia- 29er
    2015 Raleigh Misceo- Gravel bike
    2013 Trek 3700 Disk- 26er
    1994 Cannondale R300- narrow tire roadie

Merendon Junkie
    I have succesfully ridden 26ers and 29ers over rocky rooty tech stuff. I did not have success ridding that same stuff on sliced bread, it was too flexy.

mtbr member
    Actually the 29" diameter wheel/tire combo as used off road in the late 1800's pre-dates sliced bread which wasn't commercially used until 1928. Sliced bread - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by Bigwheel View Post
    Actually the 29" diameter wheel/tire combo as used off road in the late 1800's pre-dates sliced bread which wasn't commercially used until 1928. Sliced bread - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    And what is so great about sliced bread? I prefer to slice it myself, or just tear off hunks.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    My one says BRAP!

workin' it Administrator
    everyone:

Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    Name:  bread.png
Views: 683
Size:  308.0 KB
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I air up the 2.2 tires on my 29er for around town and the occasional road ride. I average the same speed/time on the road rides that I did on the dedicated road bike I no longer own.
    "Bikes aren't fast--people are fast. Bikes are overpriced. It's an important distinction."---BikeSnob NYC

Super Clyde
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    everyone:

Those do look good.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    29er wheels are definitely wider than road tires but they are the same diameter as 700c road tires. You can actually take a road tire and slap it on the mtb 29er rim as long as it is wide enough to fit at roughly around 35mm wide.

mtbr member

Re: Are 29ers the best thing since sliced bread like everyone clams?

29ers are so bad ass they fu*king slice bread!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast