Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

29er Travel vs 26er Travel

I have heard many say that in general a 29er does not need as much travel as a 26er. That is, let's say if you currently have a 120 mm travel fork on your 26er, you can switch to a 100 m fork on a 29er and ride comparably. Anyone agree/disagree with that? Just curious more than anything.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The 29er rolls over objects easier and you feel less of the small stuff, BUT travel is travel and when you do a drop to flat there is no replacement for suspension travel.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    I have heard many say that in general a 29er does not need as much travel as a 26er. That is, let's say if you currently have a 120 mm travel fork on your 26er, you can switch to a 100 m fork on a 29er and ride comparably. Anyone agree/disagree with that? Just curious more than anything.

Another lasting myth of the 29er cult. Go for the travel.

Trail Junkie
    Thought I agree with what Tech420 said, some sources state that a 29er is comparable to a 26" with one extra inch of travel. Basically what you just said 120mm = 100mm for a 29er.

...but that extra travel on a 26" doesn't compensate when the trail goes up or rolling over square-edge sections where the 26" wheel will catch but the 29er will keep rolling. This is where the 29er has more of the advantage...you maintain momentum where a 26" will likely be slowed.

A good example of this is climbing stairs...ie climbing square-edged features.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy carbon
    Lynskey Pro29 SL SS
    Cervelo S2 Ultegra
    Salsa Selma
    Soul Cycle Dillinger Gen3

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech420 View Post
    The 29er rolls over objects easier and you feel less of the small stuff, BUT travel is travel and when you do a drop to flat there is no replacement for suspension travel.
    Suspension is not for drops. Suspension is for smoothing the ride over bumps. Some bikes designed to take big hits to flat have very little suspension if none at all.
    Basically, all other variables equal - more travel=handling bigger bumps.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    The angle of approach advantage of the 29er definitely makes the bike feel and ride like it has more suspension than an equivalent 26er. I think it makes up for about an inch of travel, or maybe a little more. In my opinion a good 4" 29er will handle rough stuff a little better than a good 5" 26" bike because of the approach angle, so in my opinion you can defintely get away with less travel with a 29er. Most reviews seem to confirm that, but of course opinions vary on it.

MTB B'dos
    All I have to say on this matter.....

Try a search, as the GIF shows, this thing has been beaten to death more than enough times.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Yeah, see I got a Camber recently with 110 mm travel. I am coming off of a Stumpy 26er with 130 mm. Wondering if maybe I should have gone the route of a 130 mm Stumpy 29er. It's only 20mm but I feel the extra cush when I ride the new Stumpy 29ers. My trails are a mix of XC and faily technical AM-type trails. Curt Gowdy State Park near Cheyenne.

mtbr member
    Is there ever a moment when 1 inch in travel will be enough to make you go/not go OTB? I stepped down a steep rock drop off (maybe 15 in) and endo'd pretty hard recently. I was not leaning back as much as I could have (got caught in seat) but I wondered if had I had an extra inch of travel to sink into, maybe I would not have wrecked? These are things I think about when I am daydreaming at work. haha.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Is there ever a moment when 1 inch in travel will be enough to make you go/not go OTB? I stepped down a steep rock drop off (maybe 15 in) and endo'd pretty hard recently. I was not leaning back as much as I could have (got caught in seat) but I wondered if had I had an extra inch of travel to sink into, maybe I would not have wrecked? These are things I think about when I am daydreaming at work. haha.
    Nah, you would've wrecked still. Trust me, I know from experience.

I just did a nice full speed downhill OTB on an Epic 29er and the landing was complete with a concussion, two cracked ribs, a broken rib, and some partially collapsed lungs. Amazingly, the 29er OTB experience was identical to the 26" version. LOL

mtbr member
    Oddly enough I have the pic of the incident. haha
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 29er Travel vs 26er Travel-wreck.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by byrtch View Post
    Nah, you would've wrecked still. Trust me, I know from experience.

I just did a nice full speed downhill OTB on an Epic 29er and the landing was complete with a concussion, two cracked ribs, a broken rib, and some partially collapsed lungs. Amazingly, the 29er OTB experience was identical to the 26" version. LOL
    but let's say you were ridng a longer travel bike than an Epic. You dont think the xtra cushion could have helped?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    but let's say you were ridng a longer travel bike than an Epic. You dont think the xtra cushion could have helped?
    Not at all. The only thing that could have helped was me watching the trail and not daydreaming. It was a relatively small rock I hit. Had I been in proper position and paying attention I would've went around it or pulled back to go over it. Unfortunately I was peddling and not paying any attention.

mtbr member
    Yeah Im just trying to decide if I going to Stumpy from a Camber is worth it (130 mm to 110mm with the Camber). I am riding more technical stuff these days, but not much of it being jumping. Mostly technical rock gardens.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    It's not just the travel, but also the slacker head angle. I can tell you my Stumpy FSR 29er would have more than likely handled that rock fine. I was out riding similar stuff last weekend (rocky New England) and the Stumpy took everything I threw at it. I love the Camber and have recommended it to a few of my friends, but when it comes to chunky technical stuff the Stumpy is hands down the winner. I myself have even thought about switching to the Evo model or swapping to a Fox34 shortened to 140mm.

mtbr member
    yeah the more I think about it the more the Camber seems okay for me. It has almost an identical head angle as the stumpy but seems faster on the open stuff and uphill. I can still ride more tech on it than I could on old 26 stumpy.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    yeah the more I think about it the more the Camber seems okay for me. It has almost an identical head angle as the stumpy but seems faster on the open stuff and uphill. I can still ride more tech on it than I could on old 26 stumpy.
    I wouldn't call a 2 degree difference "almost identical". That will drastically change how a bike handles technical lines.

mtbr member
    According to the Spechialized web site , Camber's head tube angle is 70 deg and the Stumpy 29er (base model) is 69, so 1 degree. I still might swap it for a Stumpy. The Stumpy is obviously better in the gnar, I just wonder if the Camber will be faster on the climbs and open trail.

Trail Junkie
    According to the Spechialized web site , Camber's head tube angle is 70 deg and the Stumpy 29er (base model) is 69, so 1 degree. I still might swap it for a Stumpy. The Stumpy is obviously better in the gnar, I just wonder if the Camber will be faster on the climbs and open trail.

Ultimately its up to the rider which would be faster. The Camber is a XC/trail category where as the Stumpjumper is a trail bike that skirts the edge of being an all-mountain.
    The Camber should feel more nimble and put you in a slightly better position for climbing with a lower front end.
    The SJ FSR Expert compensates some with the lockout feature, but the front end is going to remain higher so your climbing stance on the bike will be slightly different/off. It will ultimately come down to riding style. Those who excel at doing more with less may and can really hammer may find the Camber to be better, but those use to big bikes may find the Camber to have shortcomings.
    Lynskey Pro29 SL SS
    Cervelo S2 Ultegra
    Salsa Selma

mtbr member
    You know it's silly I think about 1 inch of travel so much. I look at my buddy with his $1,000 GF Mamba doing AM style riding with 80 mm of travel and smoking guys on bikes 4x as expensive. I am thinking about doing some local races next summer, I suppose a Camber would be a better race bike than a Stumpy.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    You're comparing a 2013 Camber to a 2012 Stumpy. If you look at the same year they are 2 degrees apart.

mtbr member
    I am comparing a 2013 Camber to a 2013 Stumpy, since I am talking about current models.
    Specialized Bicycle Components
    Specialized Bicycle Components

Top link is stumpy, bottom camber.
    most stores are out of 2012 models at this point.

Trail Junkie
    I don't know....it is your money, but $3800 for Comp Carbon and the wheels that come with it...I don't know. I think I may be tempted to go with a Tallboy Aluminum ($3100 MSRP)and take that extra money and invest it into wheels, better tires, carbon bars, carbon seatpost, and possibly a saddle. The Camber Carbon Comp is only marginally lighter than the Tallboy AL w/ RXC build, but the Tallboy will pedal better. Also the wheels that come on the Tallboy initially are better as well.
    I don't know if you have a Santa Cruz dealer near you, and that is a shop that you have a relationship with..but if you could get a discount with them...or get a coupon discount on the Tallboy online

For that category, I would also look into and consider:
    2013 Salsa Spearfish 1 ($3999 ready to race)
    2013 Anthem X 29 1 ($2890, do a wheel upgrade)
    2013 Trek Superfly 100 SL Carbon $3898
    2013 Anthem X Advance 29 2 Carbon ($3200, do a wheel upgrade)
    or a Rocky Mountain 950/970 offerings.
    Lynskey Pro29 SL SS
    Cervelo S2 Ultegra
    Salsa Selma

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice. I live in Wyoming so we have only a few bike shops in the whole state! (lots of singletrack tho=)). I support all my LBS's so I am gonna see if I can trade this in for a Stumpy. I will end up taking a hit for doing this monetarily but since this will be the bike I ride for the next 5 years or so, it really should be perfect. I might get an alloy stumpy and upgrade to nice wheels. We shall see.

Trail Junkie
    I think if you're riding more tech trails and not racing very much, the Stumpy is probably going to serve you better, but I wouldn't take anything away from the Camber..but in that situation, the Stumpjumper with better components is just going to be a better bike. My Friend had a Stumpjumper Comp 29, and recently upgraded to the EVO version and he loves it..but then again....nothing on the bike is original or stock, and the wheels/cassette were trashed in the first 3 months.
    Lynskey Pro29 SL SS
    Cervelo S2 Ultegra
    Salsa Selma

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast