mtbr member
    Dec 2010

29er suspension fork for my Fargo

So I want to add a fork to my Fargo. I want to use one with 9mm drop outs so I don't have to buy new wheels. Not looking for high performance. Jst a decent fork at a decent price. Any suggestions/experiences?
    '13 CDale CAADX
    '12 Spec Camber Comp
    '12 Salsa Fargo
    "Riding with one leg is way better than not riding"

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Manitou

Thanks. That looks exactly what I need. Cool link and a great price. Even in stock!
    '13 CDale CAADX
    '12 Spec Camber Comp
    '12 Salsa Fargo
    "Riding with one leg is way better than not riding"

Cheesiest
    That is a good price!
    "Paved roads...just another example of needless government spending"—paraphrased from rhino_adv

mtbr member
    Just know that it's a combination air/coil fork, so if your riding weight is outside a range of about 140 - 180 lbs (not exactly sure on those numbers), you may need a ride kit in addition.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Amazon has the rockshox Reba 29 for $348 right now, they also have the recon solo air for $230.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Interested in shock for Fargo also

Hi I also have a Fargo, it a second generation suspension corrected for 80mm of travel. Also wondering about putting a front shock on it, but from looking at other forums riders setup's it would seem that most Fargo riders don't put shocks on them. Lots to consider. How much travel were you looking for?

Another Fargo rider
    JRB

mtbr member
    I got fargo wth a fork and like it that way

“An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” Marco Polo

Harmonius Wrench
    If you can find a 100mm travel G2 fork in either a Rock Shox or Fox it'll work fantastically well on a gen II Fargo.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by t0pcat View Post
    I got fargo wth a fork and like it that way

A bike without a fork is a unicycle.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_bloe View Post
    for a little bit more the tower pro is also available. I don't know much about forks as I'm just getting into this stuff but tons of great reviews about how tunable the fork is and it's a bit lighter than the expert. I know your not looking for anythign fancy but I think the pro is selling for about $350 which also seems to be a steal of a deal

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    If you can find a 100mm travel G2 fork in either a Rock Shox or Fox it'll work fantastically well on a gen II Fargo.
    I'd rather have the Expert with compression to lockout adjustments than either of those unlocked/locked forks. I hate how those forks dive under braking unless you over air them.

OP-like mentioned for slightly more you can get a deal on a Tower Pro. don't know if you really need/budget that though.

Perfectionist with ADHD!

Good deal but not so fast

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe63 View Post
    Amazon has the rockshox Reba 29 for $348 right now, they also have the recon solo air for $230.
    I have a Recon Silver TK on my Trek Cobia, the 29er version of this fork has more flex than a good yoga instructor. After considering an upgrade (through my LBS, my LBS and local SRAM rep said the REBA fork will have smilar flexing. This may not matter to you if you aren't an aggressive rider, or stick to XC.

The exception here is using either with thru axels. The local SRAM rep said they stiffen up quite a bit when using 15mm or 20mm axels.

It's important to remember these forks are rated XC ONLY. I found out the hard way/too late.

Knowing your parts as the part manufacturer describes/intends their usage is VERY important.
    ****I should ride less and post more****

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    the fargo looks funny with a suspension fork....lol

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by _Alberto_ View Post
    I'd rather have the Expert with compression to lockout adjustments than either of those unlocked/locked forks. I hate how those forks dive under braking unless you over air them.
    If you look you can still get Rebas out there with the adjustable compression. Also the same situation exists for Fox G2 forks. (I happen to have one)

G2 is the important thing for a Fargo. It helps retain the intended handling traits, but obviously, other 80mm-100mm travel forks may work depending upon you desired ride feel.

Just a suggestion for those wanting the handling of a Fargo only with suspension fork comfort/control.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    If you look you can still get Rebas out there with the adjustable compression. Also the same situation exists for Fox G2 forks. (I happen to have one)

G2 is the important thing for a Fargo. It helps retain the intended handling traits, but obviously, other 80mm-100mm travel forks may work depending upon you desired ride feel.

Just a suggestion for those wanting the handling of a Fargo only with suspension fork comfort/control.
    Ted if i may ask why G2? I have a fox fit terralogic on my fargo (no G2) and i think it handles like it did with the stock fork?
    “An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” Marco Polo

Perfectionist with ADHD!
    I misread the post- edited mine sorry
    Last edited by ChewynMe; 12-04-2012 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Reply to wrong post.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    deleted
    Last edited by LBIkid; 12-06-2012 at 05:09 AM.
    Enjoy the ride!

Perfectionist with ADHD!

No good uncool

Deleted
    Last edited by ChewynMe; 12-08-2012 at 06:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    deleted
    Last edited by LBIkid; 12-06-2012 at 05:10 AM.
    Enjoy the ride!

Perfectionist with ADHD!

What does that matter

Deleted by Chewynme
    Last edited by ChewynMe; 12-08-2012 at 06:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    editted.

Back to the original post, I and at least one other poster are interested to know how a 100mm G2 fork will work on a Gen II Fargo. That is directly applicable to the OP's question.
    Last edited by LBIkid; 12-06-2012 at 05:10 AM.
    Enjoy the ride!

Perfectionist with ADHD!
    Deleted by Chewynme
    Last edited by ChewynMe; 12-08-2012 at 06:18 AM.

Perfectionist with ADHD!

Whawheels do you have

Quote Originally Posted by bwfox View Post
    So I want to add a fork to my Fargo. I want to use one with 9mm drop outs so I don't have to buy new wheels. Not looking for high performance. Jst a decent fork at a decent price. Any suggestions/experiences?
    I may have missed this, but what wheels do you have? Are they convertable to 15mm or 20mm thru axel? If so you may be able to get a fork with a thru axle, and spend $20 to upgrade the wheel and get the fork you want for the Fargo, G2 or not.

For example, I have Easton Havens, and if I wanted to change my QR (which I do) I could just get their axle converstion kit. It is simple and takes only a couple of minutes to swap out.

If you aren't sure you can always email the manufacturer to find out the ability to convert. I know now, after dealing with the flex/braking issues with my fork that any new suspension with have a thru axel to add the stability I have been looking for.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by t0pcat View Post
    Ted if i may ask why G2? I have a fox fit terralogic on my fargo (no G2) and i think it handles like it did with the stock fork?
    Fargos have a longer offset fork. The G2 mimics that, lessens chances for toe overlap too.

No need to worry if you like what you've got. Just run with that. I merely was making an observation for those who might be interested. I will be adding a G2 fork to my Fargo Gen II when I find one with a longer steer tube. The one I have barely works, and I am not comfortable running it beyond my initial tests.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 29er suspension fork for my Fargo-experimental-rigs-9-12-001.jpg