Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    102

    29er sizing confusion

    I'm in the market for a 29er HT, having been out of the sport for a while and focusing on road biking, I'm behind the curve on 29er knowledge and I need guidance on sizing.

    I am 5ft 11 1/2" with a 33 inseam, according to many sizing charts I would be a large, however when I test rode a scott 29er it felt large which I think may be due to the standover height, rather than the top tube length. A sales guys seemed to want me to go for the medium however they did not have one in the store.

    Now I'm looking at the cannondale flash 29er buying on classifieds. The SOH of that is higher than the scott. In fact the scott medium has the same as the cannondale large.

    I ride a 55cm road bike and I would say that I have a shorter torso relative to leg length.

    Does anyone size down for a 29er?

  2. #2
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,026
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinner View Post
    I'm in the market for a 29er HT, having been out of the sport for a while and focusing on road biking, I'm behind the curve on 29er knowledge and I need guidance on sizing.

    I am 5ft 11 1/2" with a 33 inseam, according to many sizing charts I would be a large, however when I test rode a scott 29er it felt large which I think may be due to the standover height, rather than the top tube length. A sales guys seemed to want me to go for the medium however they did not have one in the store.

    Now I'm looking at the cannondale flash 29er buying on classifieds. The SOH of that is higher than the scott. In fact the scott medium has the same as the cannondale large.

    I ride a 55cm road bike and I would say that I have a shorter torso relative to leg length.

    Does anyone size down for a 29er?
    A 29er is still just a bike.

    Go by the reach (TT length), not the stand over. If the stand over is more than you are comfortable with, look at other brands.

    Also note that you may need to lower the bars to match your usual setup.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  3. #3
    EXORCIZE
    Reputation: Ryder1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,311
    Riding a slightly smaller 29er is not uncommon, especially if riding tight/messy trails. I'd suggest looking for a long medium or short large by using effective top tube AND seat tube angle to calculate. A L Giant XTC Composite is pretty small for a L, while Niner AIR9 is a long medium (72d vs. 74d seat tube angle). Yet same wheelbase...
    ride natty ride

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Shalom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,002
    Use the ETT length to get the sizing right. SOH should be similar, if not the same, to most 26ers from what I have seen.

    And, as Shiggy said, you will probably have to drop the bar height.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    102
    The SOH is higher vs the 26er for the flash. I am trying not to focus on that but I have to say it felt strange, for the same reason I hate cyclocross bikes which have the high SOH. Reach on the large was fine but i did want it Much lower as the responses suggest. Would you say I was between sizes based on my measurements?

  6. #6
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,026
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinner View Post
    The SOH is higher vs the 26er for the flash. I am trying not to focus on that but I have to say it felt strange, for the same reason I hate cyclocross bikes which have the high SOH. Reach on the large was fine but i did want it Much lower as the responses suggest. Would you say I was between sizes based on my measurements?
    No. I would (and did) say you need to look at other bikes if the stand over is your major concern.

    I never notice stand over height while I am on the bike and riding.

    Should also note that the Flash sizing is different between the 26 and 29 versions.
    Last edited by shiggy; 09-04-2011 at 06:41 PM.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  7. #7
    Intense rider...
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    26
    I was told to use ETT length for sizing as well. I am right between a M and L in several brands. Some brands L have the same ETT length as another brands M. Ride as many as you can and find the ETT that works for you, and shop from that.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Shalom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,002
    Again, as Shiggy said, look around. Do not restrict yourself to one manufacturer.

    Also, a professional bike fit sounds like it might be a good idea.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,763
    A 55cm road frame is the equivalent of a medium mountain bike frame.
    Which is weird because your measurements would indicate a large...

  10. #10
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,026
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29 View Post
    A 55cm road frame is the equivalent of a medium mountain bike frame.
    Which is weird because your measurements would indicate a large...
    Sizing is not that simple.

    My mtbs are usually mediums, maybe a large (old set tube length sizing from 17-20").
    Road frames are 57-60cm.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    766
    Im 6' with a 32 inseam and ride a 58cm roadbike My 26ers are large and my Fisher SF is a 21". I feel more comfortable on a larger frame. That bein said. Check out a couple of bikes and sizes and buy what fits

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29 View Post
    A 55cm road frame is the equivalent of a medium mountain bike frame.
    Which is weird because your measurements would indicate a large...
    You're right I do ride smaller road bike than my height would suggest, due to a relatively shorter torso, however on the large 29er reach wasn't an issue.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    12
    eh!

    road my devinci cameleon for 8 years (26er) ,it's a 19" had alot of pain in my hands while driving for a couple of hours,change the stem (zoom) and better gloves it did help.
    so now i just got a new gf cobia it's a 2010 left over saved$ ,but was fitted to a 17.5" frame ,feels better and change the stem on it also .i am also 6 feet and 290lbs the pain is almost gone.

    ps i have to keep the rock shox lock at all time it's perfect,they don't fully lock,i still don't know it's good to keep them lock on the hard trails cause there only rated to 220lbs was not aware of that at the time of my purchest

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: funnyjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    322
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryder1 View Post
    Riding a slightly smaller 29er is not uncommon, especially if riding tight/messy trails
    This is very true from my experience.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Peter Leo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    65
    Here is a frame sizer. Just select the mountain bike, and complete the information. It will provide the frame size and even a suggested crank size!

    Bicycle Frame Size Calculator

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    125
    FWIW
    I'm 5'11", 34" leg length. Bianchi 58cm- too big but smaller than suggested in above calculator. Shorter stem would probably do it. That bike is parted out now.
    56cm Cannondale Synapse- feels about right. Maybe a hair too long top tube or stem.
    55cm Track type bike- love the fit of this one.
    Large Monocog 29er- feels a little large, now parted out.
    Med Surly Karate Monkey- feels real good.

  17. #17
    My Brain Hurts!
    Reputation: ProfGumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    697
    I ride a large (20.0) Giant Rincon. If I go by the top tube length 23.3 it appears I'd ride a 15.5 inch frame? Really? I'm 5'11!

    EDIT: I posted this elsewhere, but on Monday I had chance to sit on a Trek Hyper and it was a 19 inch frame. Felt pretty good to me! I also got to ride a firends superfly a bit and it also is a 19 inch frame. Again, felt pretty good.

    The trick for me will be to ride a 17 and a 19 on a trail to really see what feels right. Might need to find a demo day or rent to see...
    Last edited by ProfGumby; 10-24-2012 at 05:51 PM.
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

Similar Threads

  1. Bashguard Sizing Confusion
    By Strive215 in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-18-2009, 08:32 AM
  2. Hope Sizing Confusion
    By padrefan1982 in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-15-2008, 03:57 AM
  3. Tire Sizing Confusion
    By theRuss in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-14-2007, 10:01 AM
  4. Bike Sizing Confusion
    By futak in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-01-2007, 02:27 AM
  5. tire sizing confusion 26xN.N vs NN-559
    By FireDog46 in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-08-2006, 11:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •