mtbr member
    Jan 2004

29er Singlespeed suggestions? Zion? Haro?

I already ride an Asylum as my primary race bike but interested in getting a singlespeed for some winter training and in general having some fun. Not looking to spend tons of money on the bike ($800). One option is getting a Zion 29" EBB frame/fork and buy some components (and use some spare stuff at home...like disk brakes, saddle). Or maybe I would be better off with a complete bike. My preference is one with an EBB. I bet I could build up the Zion sub 25lbs quite easily....it seems some of the complete bikes are rather heavy.

I am quite interested in the Haro Mary SS, but their website isn't up to date. Anyone know how much it sells for? Any online retailers? Or other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

mtbr member
    I think the Mary SS from Haro is right around $850 or so.

You also might want to look at Raleigh's 29er SS offering as well.

And then you've got the Redline Monocog for around $450 complete with v-brakes.

Lots of options!

mtbr member
    I've got a GT peace 9r on order, $550 SS/29
    should be here this week

Bored
    Quote Originally Posted by sperky
    I already ride an Asylum as my primary race bike but interested in getting a singlespeed for some winter training and in general having some fun. Not looking to spend tons of money on the bike ($800). One option is getting a Zion 29" EBB frame/fork and buy some components (and use some spare stuff at home...like disk brakes, saddle). Or maybe I would be better off with a complete bike. My preference is one with an EBB. I bet I could build up the Zion sub 25lbs quite easily....it seems some of the complete bikes are rather heavy.

I am quite interested in the Haro Mary SS, but their website isn't up to date. Anyone know how much it sells for? Any online retailers? Or other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your advice!
    You should talk to Nogearsheer about a misfit. support your local companies..

that or a True North..
    MTBR is serious stuff.
    You never get better until you get out of your comfort zone.

Kill your... television

I second that motion

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheelboy_490
    You should talk to Nogearsheer about a misfit. support your local companies..

that or a True North..
    Misfit is at all of the races (and sponsors a lot of them). They would treat you right. Sweet frames from what I hear.
    "Whereas Motoman's bike looks like an industrial, TinkerToy experiment gone horribly wrong." - Aquaholic

Ti
    Misfit

mtbnj.com

I vote for the Mary

got mine in the beginning of september and I love this damn bike. Got it for about 850, ebb, avid discs, a great all around bike, totally satisfied with my purchase.

walter
    You guys live or plan on coming to New Jersey, check out mtbnj.com

I like endos

I love the MC29, mine LG is

about 26lbs. right now with the stock wheels/fork/crank. You could EASILY build this thing well under 25 if you build it with lighter wheels/tires/crank. If you ride a smaller size, even better. Best thing is, Frame/Fork can be had for $240 at PP. It's not as bad a fork as people say.
    As for the Pyramids, there is nothing to wonder at in them so much as the fact that so many men could be found degraded enough to spend their lives constructing a tomb for some ambitious booby, whom it would have been wiser and manlier to have drowned in the Nile, and then given his body to the dogs. - Henry David Thoreau

Witty McWitterson
    I love my Mary. It ain't the lightest, but it rides oh, so nicely. Handles very well. Eats singletrack for breakfast, lunch and dinner(and the bed time snack too). If you've got the parts hanging about though, its hard to beat the Zion's price.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member

Soma Juice

I just bought one and I like it a lot! Sweet ride, and Jenson's got them going on.
    29er Fan!

Misfit Psycles
    given some of your criteria, allow me to suggest a couple things.

• in that price range build the bike up yourself. you are looking to keep the cost and weight down, this can be tough 'off the shelf'. there are plenty of framesets available that would fit those criteria.

• maybe you have had good experience with ebb's. please ignore if you have, i have not. the fact that they add greater room for 'creak' on top of an existing hotspot for 'creak' is annoying and results is frequent cleaning and service. these shells are only available in a 68mm shell. also found that keeping ebb's tight and then loosening them was problematic...just personal experiences. I suggest some sort of slider to adjust tension.

of course i have an interest in this, but if you want to mess around on a demo ss 29 for a bit, drop me a line.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO