Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

29er single speed full rigid

been mtn biking for a good two months and i love it! riding a full suspension pitch comp. lately ive been thinking about switching to a 29er single speed fully rigid. question is, am i switching too soon? am i ready for a ss 29er full rigid? what are the benefits of switching from a full suspension 26er to a full rigid ss 29er? any input will be appreciated. thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    1) Full rigid is a misnomer. Rigid is sufficient based off the assuming that no one rides a rigid fork with a suspension rear. "Rigid" is completely sufficient.

2) Ride one and see. I ride a rigid 29er SS. I really enjoy it for what I do most of the time. I would also really enjoy a 1x10 front suspension bike for a lot of other **** around riding I do. It's a huge change from what you're used to. Some people get totally into it, others are completely turned off.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I love my SS rigid 29er. I would say before moving to AZ I rode it 90% of the time, and then I have a front suspension 1x9 that I ride the rest of the time.

Funny thing about going to the simplicity of the rigid single speed. Your other bikes get more dusty from sitting than they do from being ridden.

mtbr member

Wife now rides the Dos Niner

I bought a Dawes Deadeye fully rigid for $219 from bikes direct Ride it 1X9 with WTB drop bars- 42 in front and 11-34 in rear- At 32lbs. it crushes rocks and I don't miss the Suspension on my Dos Niner (which is now my wife's bike) And with the 42 in the front I can keep up with my mates on the flats (I also use it on road rides no problem) If I had one bike this would be it. Note: WTB drop bars made the biggest difference- i can stand and pedal in the drops up most anything- And I ride steep SoCal trails (I am also running Michelin 47c city tires and they do just fine!)

Uncle
    Subject has been beaten to death on this forum, but hey -- we like to express our joy of our rigid 29SS riding, so here's my recycled pitch in favor:
    1) More challenging. We have some good trails around here, but some others are a bit dull after a while on a full squish bike. Switching to the rigid 29 bike has made it challenging again. On some descents today, the full squish guys were just riding point & shoot style. I followed, but had to pay more attention to what I was doing. In this case, the extra attention provides the mind with something more to do; voila! Less boring.

2) Riding SS makes you think ahead more, and attack the hills more consciously. When to start hammering at a hill will depend on the hill, your approaching speed, what gearing you have, and how tired you are. To attack best / most efficiently (which is always a consideration on a SS bike), you need to account for each of these things. Again, more to think about = more interesting / challenging.

3) Ups your stud level. I am constantly meeting fine ladies during and after rides on my 29ss rigid bike. They are like, "I can't believe you knocked out that entire ride without being able to downshift. You must be amazing in the sack." I'm married now, so I have to pawn them off on my geared full sussie buddies, but they don't mind. In fact, they invite me to ride almost every day because I can pull for them. Hey, what are friends for?

4) If set up right, these bikes are pretty dang efficient -- lightweight without all of the springy derailleurs, shorter chains, no shifters or cables. And the 29" wheels just roll for ever. Just don't tell all the fine ladies how easy it is to ride single speed. If they find out, my gearie FS buddies will stop getting laid and won't invite me out to ride anymore.

5) The chicks are right -- It makes you better in the sack (taint preservation): Unless you ride completely flat areas, you'll have to stand to climb. On a geared bike, long climbs mean severe taint baking & pummeling, which leads to EDS -- or so I hear Riding SS requires you to stand on the pedals, which means cool, unpummeled nutz, and really stupendous blood flow to all of the critical bits. This has been shown to increase size and girth by 15% when compared to gearie bike riders (32% more than roadies ).

6) Chamois shorts optional (see #5)

More? Okay.
    7) Come winter, you'll have a lot less to maintain when things get sloppy. Ride her hard and put her away wet, as they say.

8) Provides a great excuse at those times when you must dismount and walk up a hill, but this only works if you're riding with non-SSers: "What!?! You try it without shifting then!"
    Last edited by Entrenador; 07-10-2011 at 02:04 AM.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

Fat & Single
    Theres a similar thread over on the SS forum, have a read at it

Rigid SS? Why?
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by Entrenador View Post
    Riding SS requires you to stand on the pedals, which means cool, unpummeled nutz, and really stupendous blood flow to all of the critical bits. This has been shown to increase size and girth by 15% when compared to gearie bike riders (32% more than roadies ).
    +rep ^^^^

Awesome !
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    I went Rigid for the handling and weight savings.
    2011 Lynskey Pro29 SL SS
    1998 Moots Rigormootis
    1988 Ritchey SuperComp
    Bridgestone MB1, MB2, & MB4

mtbr member
    Simple as he!l to maintain. Set it up once and forget it.

About the only maintenance you'll ever do is put some air in the tires occassionally.

Apr 2007
    Just to clarify some terminology:

RIGID:

FULLY:

FULLY RIGID:

weekend warrior
    If you enjoy biking you'll enjoy a rigid 29 er too. The experiences are different though, I see them as complementary. I'd say get a second hand Haro Mary or GT Peace or similar SS Bike in addition to your Pitch and find out.

Enjoy!!
    Common sense was never common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut View Post

RIGID:

FULLY:

FULLY RIGID:

Rep +1

mtbr member
    That DeSalvo is a thing of Beauty
    2011 Lynskey Pro29 SL SS
    1998 Moots Rigormootis
    1988 Ritchey SuperComp
    Bridgestone MB1, MB2, & MB4

ballbuster

Different tools for different things

Quote Originally Posted by extr3m3 View Post
    been mtn biking for a good two months and i love it! riding a full suspension pitch comp. lately ive been thinking about switching to a 29er single speed fully rigid. question is, am i switching too soon? am i ready for a ss 29er full rigid? what are the benefits of switching from a full suspension 26er to a full rigid ss 29er? any input will be appreciated. thanks in advance
    Why dump the Pitch? Different tools for different jobs. I wouldn't take a Pitch anywhere you would ride the Singlespeed, and I wouldn't take the Singlespeed anywhere you would ride the Pitch.

According to the Velominati Rule #12, the number of bikes you should own is always (n+1), with (n) being the number of bikes you have now. Or, the rule is (s -1) where (s) is the number of bikes that would make you separate from your spouse.

Learn The Rules of the Velominati, and learn them well.

I dunno.... rigid bikes are a blast, IMO, but not for everyone. I say do it, but only after borrowing a rigid bike for a ride to make sure you don't completely hate it. Either that, or get a low rent rigid bike that you might expect to take a loss on if you end up selling it. Depends on your budget.

For me, I used to ride rigid and I loved it, but I'm an older guy with joint problems. I can't ride rigid any more. Too painful, no matter how easy I go. I love the way rigid handles, tho. I have a matching rigid fork for my frame, but it mostly sits on my shop wall while a Reba lives on my Singlespeed 99% of the time.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 07-10-2011 at 09:32 AM.

my body breaks the falls
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    I wouldn't take a Pitch anywhere you would ride the Singlespeed, and I wouldn't take the Singlespeed anywhere you would ride the Pitch.
    I do this all the time. For example some days I have the dog with me who can't blast downhill like I can on a Nomad. On those days I take the rigid SS 9er and have to pick my lines and move a little slower. The same trails require different technique and both methods are fun. Some days I want to hammer out a KOM and go SS, but others I want to chill with friends and flow on the descents. Same trails, different bikes.

To the OP, regardless of what we all say none of it makes a bit of difference if you hate the ride.
    $500 million for more irresponsible EBRPD land management? No thanks.
    www.noonmeasureww.org

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I think the point here is how long you've been riding for - you may well end up a better rider (on your Pitch or any other bike) in future if you learn to ride a hardtail / rigid ride to start with. You'll get to grips with handling skills by avoiding the bumps using skill more than squish, and when you go back to the Pitch those same skills will mean you're faster and in more control.

Having said that though, any first bike is great, the main thing is you love riding, that's cool.

edited to add, none of that is as good as reasons 3,4 and 5 in the list above.. : )
    Last edited by james-o; 07-10-2011 at 12:36 PM.

Master of Beat
    100% Efficiency
    Well pretty close at least

Uncle
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    ...I have a matching rigid fork for my frame, but it mostly sits on my shop wall while a Reba lives and dies on my Singlespeed 99% of the time.
    Fixed
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

ballbuster

Oh, come on!

Quote Originally Posted by Entrenador View Post
    Fixed
    .. it was a different Reba that died on me the other day. I mean, I have three of them in the garage, ATM.... and a Lefty off being serviced.

Dang, I have a spare Reba (once the Lefty is back from service), but I can't put it on my gearie hardtail. The steerer tube is an inch short.

Dickhouse
    Dec 2010
    question is, am i switching too soon? am i ready for a ss 29er full rigid?
    Never too soon! I started out riding a 29er SS Rigid..and never looked back!

I ride with a bunch of older guys who have been ditching their $3000 and up full-sus bikes for SS rigids. Once they try one they are hooked...

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut View Post

RIGID:

FULLY:

FULLY RIGID:

so ummm... what is the different between rigid and fully rigid?

Jacob 34:19

Semantics

Quote Originally Posted by adjitridika View Post
    so ummm... what is the different between rigid and fully rigid?
    Rigid is rigid.

Fatties are almost like having suspension hence the "fully rigid".
    I buy stuff from Milltown Cycles.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Just don't become one of those "hardcore" rigid riders that goes around every root on the trail, creating new lines around technical obstacles, thus making our once nice singletrack into a wide cart path :-(

Expert Crasher
    been mtn biking for a good two months and i love it!
    Don't make this decision for a while. Spend more time on the bike - look at this for next summer. You're still figuring out what you want......
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    am i switching too soon? am i ready for a ss 29er full rigid? what are the benefits of switching from a full suspension 26er to a full rigid ss 29er?
    My advice: Stop trying to envision and predict what it will be like and whether you're "ready" for it. You just have to try it.

For me personally, the rigid singlespeed 29er is the perfect mountain bike. I worship at the alter of simplicity and durability, even at the expense of comfort. I abhor finicky maintenance BS. I like the lighter weight and more precise steering of a rigid fork, as well as the lack of bobbing on climbs.

You, however, might hate it -- but reading about it won't give you your answer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast