mtbr member

29er Salsa Delgado Disc Rim coming apart?

A few rides ago, I started getting a weird sound coming from my rear Delgado rim. It sounds like the tire bead is unseating/reseating, resulting in the loud tick every wheel rotation. I thought maybe the tire bead was bad, so I swapped tires and the noise is still there.

Upon closer inspection, this noise happens right at the joint where the rim comes together. The junction happens to have a sticker right at that point, and there is now a crease in the sticker. The rim no longer seems to be very smooth at that joint. It'll definitely catch a fingernail.

On the inside of the rim, it looks like there is some wear at the joint, a result of the tire rubbing away at the uneveness.

My guess is that there is not a fix available and the rim needs to be replaced. Anyone else ever have this happen to them?

mtbr member
    Have a look here. Salsa Delgado Disc Rim

jmw
    mtbr member
    contact Salsa, that's what I'm going to do cause I have the exact same experience although it's both fr and rear wheels
    future nature

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

They will make it good

I had the same noise and contacted Jason at Salsa. They are aware of the problem and were more than willing to replace the rims.They were even going to replace with other brands rims if I wanted. As far as the decal, they are applied before the wheel is built and it does get pulled a little in the build process, therefore can be a liitle creased. I have ridden my wheels hard and have yet to come closer to the rim pulling apart. Strangly enough, if you wash the wheels,they will hush up for 3-6 rides. Good luck, they will take care of you.