mtbr member
    Apr 2004

29er Rider Down- broken tibia plateau

so- broke the darn thing. fractured in fact- no surgery. yall are my mtbr compadres so i thought that maybe there is a 29er version of the healing process! do we heal faster than 26er riders?

ive been out of comission for 4 weeks now and wonder if anyone has any "back in the saddle" timelines for me.

this is the worst!!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Nope, there is plenty worse: http://forums.mtbr.com/rider-down-injuries-recovery/

Plenty of good info on recovery there too. Hope you heal.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    i had no idea this board was even there. ill go hang with the gimpy crew now!

Former Bike Wrench
    It's clearly because you fall further to the ground on a 29er, especially if you go over the bars.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Dealing with tibial plateau issues...

Has the doc checked out your bone mineral density?

Vitamin / hormone deficits can slow down calcification.

I've been dealing with a screwed up tibia ever since a car wreck in '07.

After my latest surgery to fix the d@mn thing we found that I wasn't calcifying as I should. Because of that, I learned that I had a massive Vitamin D deficit. Am now on a 50,000 IU a week regimen for the next 8 weeks to fix it.

( )
    Nov 2004
    I broke my tibial plateau last spring. It really sucked that it happened right before summer, but it could've been much worse. Mine didn't need surgery either. I was 6 weeks non-weight bearing, then 2 weeks partial and then rehab. I got full range of motion back pretty quickly. The bad leg lost a lot of strength and muscle mass, but I was riding by about week 8 on the road and week 10 on trails. This winter I've been working on isolating it to get the strength more equal to my good leg. So hang in there, listen to the doc and do your physical therapy. Good luck!
    [29er-specific recovery info: i rode my sultan for a few months then moved back to single speed.]

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    since the break, caused by a fal, ive been taking vitamin D, C, one a day multi, and lycine.

seems to be healing well but my muscles...holy crap. i tried to walk donw the stias and instant charlie horse! my fracture was minor compared to what i have read about thiese things. i was lucky- but its still no fun. next xray is next week....fingers crossed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    that has to be it. i knew it.

Bike Matron
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaffer
    I've been dealing with a screwed up tibia ever since a car wreck in '07.
    After my latest surgery to fix the d@mn thing we found that I wasn't calcifying as I should. Because of that, I learned that I had a massive Vitamin D deficit. Am now on a 50,000 IU a week regimen for the next 8 weeks to fix it.
    Damn, this it good news that they finally got to the bottom of the non-healing issue. I know it has been a looooong slog for all this to get resolved. I'm also thinking of another rider with a broken leg who had a similar situation -- things just would not knit back together and after a year she had to have a second surgery, which was also slow to heal. She is ok now (one leg an inch shorter, tho) but I'll let her know.

Vit D is pretty cool stuff. I'm 10 years post cancer, and at my summer check up, I found that the oncology folks have now added in a routine check of Vit. D levels along with all the other blood work; mine was very low & am on a maintenance of 5000 IU five days a week.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You don't heal faster, you heal more smoothly than 26ers. Hope it goes well for you.