mtbr member
    May 2008

29er Related Reach and Bar Drop

One of the advantages of the 29er is the ability to really weight your front wheel in turns. I have been adjusting my reach somewhat to accommodate a wider bar and shorter stem, but I have also ended up dropping the bar height by about 1cm (a huge adjustment, in my opinion). The little shorter reach (still about an inch longer than what Wrench Science Fit Calculator recommends), still allows me to get my weight way off the back of the saddle on technical descents and rocks, and the little lower position allows me to push my weight into the front wheel on turns. Probably below the saddle now (low for me--50 and stiff neck and shoulders). I see a lot of really high bar positions, but has anyone else realized this difference and made adjustments?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Not sure how you can to the conclusion that 29 inch wheels allow you to better weight the front into turns but I find the opposite to be true. 29'ers are much taller in the front end lending themselves to a more upright (ie less weight on the front) position. Because of this most Niners are using a stem with a -rise. I run a 110mm 10 degree rise stem with a High Rise bar on my 26 in racer-X, and a 5 degree rise 90mm stem with a flat bar on my 29er cannondale flash and the Flash is still higher in the front end.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Yes, they are taller, but the larger contact patch allows for more dramatic lean and "push" on the front wheel before it gives way. Especially at speed. I also realize younger and more athletic guys would be a little hampered by not being able to "reach down" to the bar more on a 29er--I did see the new Niner "decline" bar as well. Plus, it seems being taller sort of necessitates a lower relative bar position. I think more people my height (5-8) and shorter seem to run a taller front end. Probably to help make up for a proportionally longer reach?