mtbr member
    Jan 2004

29er race report - Rocky Hill Roundup - Smithville, TX

So the plan was to not be the leader during the first part of this race.

We start, I get the jump, but sit up this time. A rider from the Hotel San Jose company goes to the front, then Mike B. Mike B takes the lead, then itís John R. Nick G, and me. Soon we get around the Hotel guy and John R. has gone off the front.

Eventually we get around Mike and Nick closes the gap back to John R. I am able to stay with him and itís just us 3 with about 1 mile left in the first lap. I feel good. Everything is going perfectÖ just about this time, I slide out in a loose corner and lay it down. No big deal really, I didnít get hurt. Scramble.. pick it up.. and start to get them back.

The rest

bikerpilot
    I'll add mine from the same race as well. Sorry I don't have a cool blog to post it on, I'll stick it all here.
    I finally got my FSR 29er week before last, three days after my home race where I really wanted to have it. But at least I had it for the last race.

Leading up to the race a bunch of my "buddies" had decided to gang up on me and race in my class for a big heads up race. They are all mid 30's to early 40's, some sport riders who had been setting faster times than me all season, some beginner riders just catting up. So the pressure was on me big time to come through and beat them. They had me all strung out race morning, and were even giving the official 10 bucks a piece at the staging area like they had a pot going to see who could beat me(it was a joke). My wife had been really encouraging me all morning and telling me I would do good and not to worry about those guys. She helped me so much during the race, I tried to just think about her and her encouragement, that kept me going strong. Good wives rock!! Thanks Raine!

I had a good spot on the start with my top ten call up, and I picked a line on the far left where I could ride in the grass and not be bouncing through the rocks. Gunshot, then I couldn't get clipped in for 100 yards(new pedals, cranks, and shoes) and I'd dropped way back to a bad spot. Hit the first grassy climb and motor my way back towards the front, third by the top. The first hump of Fat Chuck's(very steep and rocky, hard to climb), Ryan in front of me has to push and I'm too close to try to ride around him, so off the bike I go. I lose a few spots, and Lenny(one of the old guys) rides past me to the top. I remount at the top and chase him down the backside, then catch him going up the second hump. I accidently(honestly) rub his tire one time, then decide to mess with him a bit. So I'm leaning on his back tire for about three-quarters of the way up the second hump. He turns around at the top with a "what the heck?!?!" look on his face and I motor past, never to see him again. I caught a guy going through the next section which was pretty much flat and a little twisty and stayed on his wheel too long, I should have gone past him quicker. The nasty climbs towards the end put me in a spot of bother and made me hurt a bit, and when I came through the finish area there was yelling "Tony's behind you!"(another old guy) So I try not to worry about him too much, I know I'm in a decent spot and most importantly I'm ahead of the guy I need to beat to keep my overall position. He passes me and gets a good gap on the big climbs. I start chasing him down on the next twisty section, then get stuck behind a singlespeeder for a bit. I use that to recover a little, then go around and go after Tony. I use my strong singletrack skills to catch him, then recover behind him a bit. I offer to trade a pull with him, thought maybe he could help me move up on my class a bit. I went to the front through the singletrack, hoping he'd use his better engine to pull me up a long jeep road climb section, then I'd jump back out front in the singletrack and let him follow and then let the chips fall where they may. So we got on the road section and he goes to the front(all according to my plan) but then maybe 50 yards up he just sits up. So I have no choice but to go around and he grabs my wheel. We get to the singletrack, I get a little gap, then I hear some racket behind me on a short steep rock covered climb when he has to step off, so I attack. I stayed away from him to a good finish. I solidly beat some guys that I'd been battling with this season, finished very close to some guys that had been killing me, and moved myself up to second overall for the series!!

I'm finally learning to keep myself eating during the race, it's helping so much. I've just been able to get that going the last couple races, and I can hold a much higher energy level through the race instead of fading out. The new bike worked so well. I feel a lot smoother and more confident on it all over the course. It finally feels like I have a bike that fits me well and handles like I want it to. I keep my momentum even better through the singletrack, and feel like I can work less to go faster. It climbs better, too. (see grassy climb back to the front of the group above)

6th/23
    1:29:33
    193 max bpm
    179 avg bpm
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BMC FS01 29 X0
    Redline Monocog 29
    Jamis Supernova
    Rocky Mtn Flow DJ

mtbr member
    Jan 2004