Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

29er park bike/chair lift bike: anyone have any thoughts?

I am mostly a rigid ss/geared HT guy: xc, endurance racing & long fun ridies etc.

I used to have a DH bike for a few years about 7 years ago and would go to diablo (in NJ) a couple of times a month- I liked it (it is fun)
    But the last few years I have been more focused on longer rides....but I have the itch to start going again... Just not sure I can go back to small wheels.

Does anyone have any thoughts on long travel 29ers for park riding?
    I was thinking about a 29er Intense Tracer (used or on sale- made in the USA- I don't want to put a bunch of dollars into something that I won't ride that much so I am trying to use existing parts etc) but before I pulled the trigger I wanted to hear what people thought about the genre.

Please don't tell me to look at 26 or 650b- I can't go back to tiny wheels (i get why people like them- I just am a 29er rider)

The new WFO looks cool- but it may be out of my range.

Please share your thoughts

Thank you in advance.

mtbr member

Long travel (140mm+) 29ers are a young but growing segment. I'm in a similar situation, though coming from a 125mm RIP 9, where I'm looking to buy a 140-150mm bike. I looked at the Tracer, Carbine, old WFO, new WFO, and the new as-of-yet-not-officially-released-but-obtainable-if-you're-willing-to-wait-2-3-months Lenz Lunchbox. For me, the Lunchbox is the ticket. 150mm rear travel, 16.7 chainstays, 67 degree HTA, a 150mm rear axle option (you can have it built at 142 if you already have a set of wheels), and low 13.5" bottom bracket make it perfect for the park without giving up too much in terms of being able to pedal. In fact, climbing is sort of an inexplicable strength, according to everyone who has one and has spoken up about it. With a Double Barrel Air CS, it'll run you about $2725 just for the frame and shock. This thread is the best place to find current info:
    The bike that started it all just got even better...

If I was on a tighter budget, I'd go with Jenson's current deal on last year's WFO. $999 for the frame set in green or black is a really good deal. You'd have to build it up yourself, but you could probably get a sweet SLX/XT, Hope/Flow EX, Pike setup for just over $3k, complete. Email Bikerbob and tell him your plans - he'll get it done.

Here's a link to the WFO:
    http://www.jensonusa.com/Niner-WFO-9-Frame
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

mtbr member
    If you can make the WFO happen..

Def, the best option out there (IMO)

PF

EXCUSES ARE THE NAILS IN THE COFFIN OF FAILURE.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PanFry View Post
    If you can make the WFO happen..

Def, the best option out there (IMO)

PF
    Are you saying' jump on the old WFO or wait for the new?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I've taken both a Niner SIR9 and a RIP9 to Northstar to do downhill. It's no big deal, it just takes a little more skill. I had a first generation WFO9 but it never made it to Northstar - it just felt a bit too ponderous for AM riding so I got rid of it. Now I have a Honzo and I am itching to try it out on the DH. I already know it will be a blast to hit the jumps, but I am curious to see how it handles the rockier stuff.

If downhill isn't going to be your main thing, I'd get a RIP9 frame (Jenson and others are blowing them out right now) and run a 140mm fork on it. A much better compromise for all around use, although I haven't tried the latest version of the WFO so maybe it's a better all-arounder than the first one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

The Kona Satori would be an option.
    130mm rear travel, 140mm in the front stock. I put a Pike on mine, dual air, 120 for trail and 150 when pointed downwards. Works like a charm. Feels like my old DH bike on lift assisted runs, very fast and solid. The single pivot is poppy and predictable.
    Not the best for jumps in the park due to weight, standover and long wheelbase but I doubt any 29er would be.

Elitest thrill junkie
    What, like this?29er park bike/chair lift bike: anyone have any thoughts?-gedc0155s.jpg
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Why not a Prime?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    For just a bike to point downhill, take some risks, and catch air on, this would be my 29er list in order...

- Lenz Lunchbox (latest one with shorter chainstays, older one would be after the new WFO)
    - Specialized Enduro 29 (likely comp model with a nicer shock as the extra 3/4 lbs isn't a biggie)
    - Niner WFO (latest one with 150mm travel, older one would drop down a few places on this list)
    - Transition Covert 29
    - Banshee Prime
    - Kona Satori

I'd probably just set it up 1x10 with a guide and run something like a 160 Pike or a Dorado shimmed to work with 29" wheels. Speaking of, buy the toughest wheels you can, because I for one can destroy a 29" wheel way, way too easily and I'm only 150lbs. I think a lot of people who say they take their "trail" bikes to bike parks must not ride that aggressive, or they would be blowing up wheels, tires, shocks, and breaking frames all the time. Riding too light of stuff in a park is eventually going to catch up with you and usually you end up hurt in the process. Pros do it because they are young, durable, pretty good at line choice, and making it to the sweet spot on the tranny. Also, they get stuff free, and are changing parts and frames out as they get abused.

TR
    Angry bunny
    My list would not include anything from Specialized or Niner.
    For tough I would have thought the Prime would be much further up your list.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    My list would not include anything from Specialized or Niner.
    For tough I would have thought the Prime would be much further up your list.
    I wouldn't ride anything from Specialized for different reasons, but what's your beef with Niner?
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

mtbr member
    Has anyone ridden a prime?
    I just googled it (first time I heard of it) and it looks pretty cool: bike gave it a good review.

How come no one has mentioned an intense tracer 29er?

Carbon & Ti rule
    Why not a Prime?
    For me they just don't have enough travel to be a great Park bike & not light enough for a do every thing bike.

I can't argue with all the happy people ridding them, But for me if it was 2010 when they came out I may have brought 1.

But the longer travel bikes that are out there now date it to much IMO

I haven't ridden 1 so maybe I'm being a bit unfair but for shuttle runs & bike parks the 150mm rear travel looks more fun to me.

However if 1 was looking to do most things on the 1 bike, Maybe the Prime fits more.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by grouan View Post
    I just googled it (first time I heard of it) and it looks pretty cool: bike gave it a good review.

Search on MTBR.
    Plenty of posts about them.
    I have one and love it.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    For me they just don't have enough travel to be a great Park bike & not light enough for a do every thing bike.

I can't argue with all the happy people ridding them, But for me if it was 2010 when they came out I may have brought 1.

But the longer travel bikes that are out there now date it to much IMO

I haven't ridden 1 so maybe I'm being a bit unfair but for shuttle runs & bike parks the 150mm rear travel looks more fun to me.

However if 1 was looking to do most things on the 1 bike, Maybe the Prime fits more.
    To me it, the Lenz and the WFO look like the only 29er's in their class built for purpose.
    The rest (Tallboy LT, Satori, Covert etc) all look like XC bikes redesigned for trail/AM use).

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by kragu View Post
    I wouldn't ride anything from Specialized for different reasons, but what's your beef with Niner?
    I liken them to Cannondale (cue someone commenting about their awesome customer service).

mtbr member

I liken them to Cannondale.
    ....still don't know what you're after.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

Carbon & Ti rule
    To me it, the Lenz and the WFO look like the only 29er's in their class built for purpose.

The rest (Tallboy LT, Satori, Covert etc) all look like XC bikes redesigned for trail/AM use
    ).
    Yes & I guess by in large people buy more bike than they need anyway, So a long travel XC bike kind of fits them well.

I have seen many riders not making much/any headway in there MTB skills & when they get onto a good bike it can lift there ridding fast.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Why not a Prime?
    I can't see why not. The Prime would be perfect for this!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    You guys are forgetting the Lenz PBJ.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by kragu View Post
    ....still don't know what you're after.
    Really?

mtbr member

Really?
    I can surmise by your edit that Cannondale has bad quality control. I've never owned a Cannondale - none of their bikes appeal to me so I have no idea what their record is. I've had no bad experience with Niner, and I've owned 3 of their bikes - an EMD and 2 RIP 9s.

I don't put much stock into mtbr rants about those kinds of issues. People with problems are way more vocal than satisfied customers.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

Trail Ninja
    What ever happened to the Diamondback Mason FS? That felt like a DH/park bike to me.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Definitely a personal preference thing, but I'd take 130mm of mini link travel most any over longer travel single pivot or Horst link bike. Anyways for a park bike fork choice sucks for bigger wheels .

super happy with my Prime and it's seen some good times at whistler, and tons of non-park DH riding. whistler means tons of machine built jumping and big wheels just don't feel quite right to me on 20'+ high speed tables. For a dedicated park bike if pick up a cheap used 26" DH bike personally. That or DJs are really the only areas where I wouldn't choose a 29er.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by grouan View Post

The Tracer has more XC geometry and is way too steep for real park work. The Comp or the Carbine 29 would be the way to go from Intense. You want low and slack for a park bike. The '13 WFO is significantly different from the '14. I would not even consider the '13 an AM bike let alone a park bike. The Enduro Comp is nice (I have one as my second bike) and a tremendous value. My first choice would probably be the Carbine 29.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast