mtbr member
    Jul 2013

New question here. 29er Mountain Bike First Buy

I've been looking to spend about $700 as a base price. I've been looking at the GT 2013 AVALANCHE 3.0 HYDR, KONA Mahuna, and the Flightline Trail 29 very unsure of what to get. I'm open to any suggestion at this point.

This is also my first bike in some time now.

Thanks, Cody

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Suntour 'X' series fork is for bikepaths, according to Suntour.

"RTR: Recreational trail
    Work out with your buddies: No rough terrain, no steep climbs or downhills! Just floating along the city river or through the forest behind your house."

An Airborne Guardian or Seeker(more but lighter fork) would work.
    BD Gravity Point 1 for 450 plus the Raidon air fork upgrade from Suntour is also under 700.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    The Suntour 'X' series fork is for bikepaths, according to Suntour.

"RTR: Recreational trail
    Work out with your buddies: No rough terrain, no steep climbs or downhills! Just floating along the city river or through the forest behind your house."

An Airborne Guardian or Seeker(more but lighter fork) would work.
    BD Gravity Point 1 for 450 plus the Raidon air fork upgrade from Suntour is also under 700.
    Sweet, I will deferentially keep that one in mind, really appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    My riding buddy has the Mahuna - and my old bike had the same 100mm XCR fork. It's not bad for the money, but it's still really a case of every dollar you spend gets you proportionally more bike. That frame is excellent for the price range, the Alivio set from Shimano is actually pretty adequate. Hydro brakes are nice to have in that price range, but if you're willing to eventually upgrade the fork, it's the one I'd go with... but if you have the budget now, I'd look closer to $1100 just because it swaps out literally every part with a better one - fork, drive train, brakes all get upgraded a tier with each pair of benjamins you spend, the Mahuna is a great bike but one that's held back by the drive train and fork which are clearly chosen to meet an MSRP point, not to fulfill a useful design requirement.

Nice-to-have stuff like adjustable fork (My 225lb self was able to bottom out the XCT on flat ground - that's not really good); 10 gears on the rear cassette is extremely nice to have, and I had to learn the hard way that internal bearing cranks are for people who don't make much torque - if $700 is a hard cap so be it, the Mahuna is a lot of bike for that price (I don't have experience with the other two), but in this range the component kit used plays a bigger role to in actual quality than any of the bike design.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tehllama View Post
    My riding buddy has the Mahuna - and my old bike had the same 100mm XCR fork. It's not bad for the money, but it's still really a case of every dollar you spend gets you proportionally more bike. That frame is excellent for the price range, the Alivio set from Shimano is actually pretty adequate. Hydro brakes are nice to have in that price range, but if you're willing to eventually upgrade the fork, it's the one I'd go with... but if you have the budget now, I'd look closer to $1100 just because it swaps out literally every part with a better one - fork, drive train, brakes all get upgraded a tier with each pair of benjamins you spend, the Mahuna is a great bike but one that's held back by the drive train and fork which are clearly chosen to meet an MSRP point, not to fulfill a useful design requirement.

Nice-to-have stuff like adjustable fork (My 225lb self was able to bottom out the XCT on flat ground - that's not really good); 10 gears on the rear cassette is extremely nice to have, and I had to learn the hard way that internal bearing cranks are for people who don't make much torque - if $700 is a hard cap so be it, the Mahuna is a lot of bike for that price (I don't have experience with the other two), but in this range the component kit used plays a bigger role to in actual quality than any of the bike design.
    I plan on upgrading it later but I don't have a bike for now, but I may just wait and get something worth while.