Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Which 29er ?? I'm ready to pull the trigger.

3K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  jfgg 
#1 · (Edited)
Been riding a 26 Jamis and want a 29. Due to cost considerations and a desire to have high end components I am down to 2 bikes, please do not rag on these mail order bikes if you have nothing to add. I have been to LBS and for the components I desire buying in a LBS will put me over $3,000. Just dropped $2800 on a road bike , Scott CR1 Pro so I DO support my LBS !!!

The bikes are as follows:

1.Motobecane Fly Team Titanium

Frame Titanium 3AL/2.5V Butted and Geometric Multishaped tubes, H2O Bosses (15.5" size has 1xH2O Bosses), S-Bend seatstays (Customers are reporting there is Room for 2.35" tires)
Fork ROCKSHOX REBA RL 29", TRAVEL:100mm, BOSSLESS ,W/QR,W/External rebound, low speed compression to 'Lock' with internal Floodgate. 1.125" threadless aluminum steerer tube (193/193/193/208mm)
Crankset FSA Afterburner, Hollow Aluminum Arms, MegaExo 42x27T, 73mm BB width, standard English thread
Bottom Bracket FSA BB-7000 / 73mm MEGAEXO BB
Pedals n/a
Front Derailleur SRAM XO clamp on
Rear Derailleur SRAM XO
Shifters SRAM XO 2 x 10 Speed (20 gears total)
Cassette/Freewheel SRAM CS PG 1070 12-36, 10 Speed
Chain KMC X10SL, Silver, 10 Speed
Hubs Black Anodized Vuelta XRP Team 29er SL Edition, Precison Bearing with QR
Spokes Double Butted Stainless steel black finish with alloy nipples
Rims Vuleta XRP Team 29er SuperLite Disc, doublewall aluminum/eyelets
Tires
Kenda Small Block 8, 29x2.1" 120TPI Kevlar, presta valve tubes
(Customers are reporting there is plenty of room for 2.35" tires)

Brakes Avid Elixir 9 hydraulic, 160mm Avid rotor 6 bolt IS mount rear/ post mount front
Brake Levers Avid Elixir 9 hydraulic
Headset FSA Orbit XL II cartridge bearing for threadless
Handlebar Ritchey PRO Triple butted TRX50 aluminum
Stem Ritchey PRO aluminum
Tape/Grip Ritchey WCS Hex foam
Saddle SKYE saddle, SLR-style, CrMo-rails, Black
Seat Post Ritchey PRO Aluminum 27.2x350mm
Seat Post Clamp Super Light Polished Aluminum
Sizes 15.5" fits up to 5'8, 17.5" fits up to 5'10", 19" fits up to 6'1", 21" fits 6'3 and taller* These are estimated ranges - the size you choose is up to you
Colors Brushed Titanium (as shown)
Compare to other Titanium or Carbon SRAM XO equipped Mountain Bikes at $5,000 to $6,000

2. Airborne Goblin XO

Frame 6061 Hydroformed Aluminum Hardtail 29"
Fork RockShox Reba RLT 29 w/Lock-Out, tapered steer, 15mm Maxle thru-axle, 100mm
Headset Ahead Sealed Cartridge 1 1/8" to 1.5" tapered
Brake Levers Avid Elixir 9 with tool-free reach and contact adjustment
Brakes Avid Elixir 9 Hydraulic Disc with adjustable banjo bolt
Rotors Avid HS1, 180mm front, 160mm rear
Shifters SRAM X0 2x10 with gold color accents
F Derailleur SRAM X0 2x10 direct mount with gold color accents
R Derailleur SRAM X0 2x10 mid-cage with gold color accents
Cassette SRAM PG-1050 11-36T 10-Speed
Chain SRAM Powerchain 1051
Crank SRAM X0 Carbon 2x10, 38/24 gearing with gold color accents
Bottom Bracket SRAM XR GXP Sealed BB
Pedals NONE
Rims Sun-Ringle BLACK FLAG PRO WHEELSET for 29er (28/28 spokes)
Hubs Sun-Ringle BLACK FLAG PRO, 15mm Maxle front, 135mm QR rear
Spokes Wheelsmith Straight-Pull, Double-Butted Spokes, Wheelsmith Alloy Nipples
Tires Maxxis IKON 29x2.2"
Handlebar FSA SL-K Carbon Low Riser 31.8 clamp, width=660mm
Stem FSA SL-K Alu/Carbon Stem +/- 6 degrees, 31.8mm clamp
Saddle Selle San Marco Ponza Power
Seat Post FSA SL-K Carbon 350mm x 31.6mm, 20mm setback
Extras Sun Ringle Tubeless conversion kit included, Owners Manual, Clear Coat, H2O Bottle Mount, RD Hanger, Velo Lock-On Grips
Related Pro

Main differences as I see it are the rims, fork and of course titanium vs aluminum.

Any sane thoughts on which is a better deal ?

Both roughly same price. $2100

Yes I know Airborne is related to Huffy and frankly i don;t care as long as it is a quality bike.

Specifically Ti vs Al. Which one ?

2. Rims Vulata vs Black flag.? I never heard of either.

Any help is appreciated as i want to act on this in the next week or so.

I do see many Motobecane models are in short supply or sold out per the website.
Airbornes are plentiful.

Of course I could drop from the Goblin Xo to the Goblin and save $1,000. Sram x7, Avid 7 brakes, no thru axle, no carbon bar etc. I'm thinking go Xo for the goodies !

Help !!

See less See more
#7 ·
Been riding a 26 Jamis and want a 29. Due to cost considerations and a desire to have high end components I am down to 2 bikes, please do not rag on these mail order bikes if you have nothing to add. I have been to LBS and for the components I desire buying in a LBS will put me over $3,000. Just dropped $2800 on a road bike , Scott CR1 Pro so I DO support my LBS !!!

Help !!
One other option, if you have good components on your jamis, is to buy a frame, fork, wheelset and move the parts over. If you are diligent you can get in to a 29er for about $1200 or less.

#8 ·
The Ti frame will last forever, super strong. The Airborne has a tapered headtube, fork and the fork is dual air. The Sun Ringle wheels are def better. Fully to convertable hubs to just about any situation. Also, uses Stans bead tech so it will run almost any folding tire tubeless. The Veluta are just okay. If you want the Ti frame, just ride the Veluta wheels until you destroy them and then upgrade. Both bikes are going to ride great. Remember, you can always swap out components later, so I thing on a bike is not a deal breaker over another bike.

#9 ·
FWIW I have an Airborne cyclocross bike, and I had a problem with the bike, actually damage from shipping. I would have to say their customer support was about as good as one can expect from an online company. The bikes seem really well spec'd for the price, and I wouldn't let the fact that they are owned by Huffy sway me. I even like to refer to it as my "high-end Huffy".

#12 ·
Not knocking or endorsing either but I've always believed that the frame is the most important part of any bike.

Hang great parts on a mediocre frame and it will still ride like a mediocre bike. Hang mediocre parts on a great frame and it will still ride like a great bike.

Find a frame with the geometry and dimensions that will suit you best and go from there.

#13 · (Edited)
I just built my first Ti bike this year, and I can tell you this. It is an amazing material for a bike frame.

With that said though, I know a guy who has the Motobecane FS 29er. He loves it, great bike and a good build. I've owned a Razzo for the past 4 years, and I loved that bike too. Nothing wrong with the Mail Order Bikes....as the way the world is these days keeps squeezing us in the Middle, and if we still want to enjoy some good bikes...ya have to do what ya have to do.

At first when I bought my Sette, I felt bad even taking it to the LBS for stuff I couldn't fix on my own. But I learned even taking your mail order bike there for repairs and replacement parts helps out the LBS.

But anyway, I'd look at the Sette Razzo Carbon, and or the Motobecane Ti. Both are superior materials and ride better than Aluminum. Good Luck....aint it fun bike shopping?

Also someone highlighted the importance of Frame over components. I'd like to stress this as well. Derailleurs, Hubs, Wheels, Shifters, Cables, Chains, Tires, all wear out...and faster then you might think. Get the Foundation (Frame) for what you'll have for a long time, and upgrade as needed later.

#14 ·
I am in the process of buying a 29er, My options are ( in my preference order of buying…)

motobecane/fantom_ti_29_x9_30.htm]SRAM X9,
-Frame Titanium 3AL/2.5V Butted and Geometric Multishaped tubes, H2O Bosses (15" size has 1xH2O Bosses), S-Bend seatstays (Room for 2.35" tires)
-Fork ROCKSHOX REBA RL 29", TRAVEL:100mm, BOSSLESS ,W/QR,W/External rebound, low speed compression to 'Lock' with internal Floodgate. 1.125" threadless aluminum steerer tube 15MM THRU AXLE MaxleLite
-Crankset FSA Comet MegaExo, SRAM 10SPD ,44x32x22T, 73mm BB width, standard English thread
-Bottom Bracket FSA BB-7000 / 73mm MEGAEXO BB
-Pedals n/a
-Front Derailleur SRAM X9 clamp on
-Rear Derailleur SRAM X9
-Shifters SRAM X9 3x10 Speed (30 gears total)
-Cassette/Freewheel SRAM PG-1050 CASSETTE 10SP 11-36, 10 --Speed
-Chain KMC X10SL, Silver, 10 Speed
-Hubs Black Anodized Vuelta XRP, Precison Bearing with QR rear, 15mm Thru-Axle front
-Spokes Stainless steel black finish
-Rims Vuleta XRP PRO, doublewall with eyelets
Tires
-Prowler SL RACE 2.1 29x2.1" ( 52/52 ) DNA Compound, 60tpi Casing, Aramid Bead, presta valve tubes (Plenty of room for 2.35" tires)

-Brakes AVID ELIXIR 5 GLOSS BLACK 180mm HS1 ROTOR , Black / Tungsten Lever / Black Caliper 6 bolt IS mount rear/ post mount front
-Brake Levers AVID ELIXIR 5 hydraulic
-Headset FSA Orbit XL II cartridge bearing for threadless
-Handlebar Ritchey MTN RIZER COMP ( C:31.8mm ), ALLOY 6061 RISE H/BAR(6°) B/CENTER: 31.8mm.R/W:20/620mm
-Stem Ritchey COMP 4-AXIS 84/6D-28.6 ( B/CENTER: 31.8mm ) ALLOY "TIOGA-OS" A-HEAD STEM.EXT:(6°)100/110/120/130mm
-Tape/Grip Ritchey WCS Hex foam
-Saddle Ritchey COMP V2 Streem saddle, CrMo-rails, Black
-Seat Post Ritchey COMP Aluminum 27.2x400mm
-Seat Post Clamp Super Light Polished Aluminum

--------------------------
windsor/carbon29er

-Frame Windsor HMCarbon, EXHP monocoque, 12K Carbon Twill outerlayer
HEAD TUBE: CARBON ( 50mm ) IS2 HP, L:17/19/21CM= 110/117/129mm
B.B. Shell CARBON 68mm
-Fork ROCKSHOX REBA-RL 29QR L:43/48/53CM=190/197/209mm STANCHION:32mm, Low friction anodized with sag gradients, BLADE: Magnesium, post mount disc brake, TRAVEL:100mm, BOSSLESS, W/QR, W/External rebound, Low speed compression to 'Lock'
-Crankset FSA SRAM 10SPD Afterburner Compact 386 Updated X10, 42x27T, ALLOY BLACK, HOLLOW Crank 175mm w/BB-7000-68 (CN LINE: 48.0mm)
-Bottom Bracket FSA BB-7000-68 (CN LINE: 48.0mm) english thread 68mm width
-Pedals n/a
-Front Derailleur SRAM FD XO HIGH CLAMP 2x10 34.9mm DUAL PULL
-Rear Derailleur SRAM X0 TYPE 2 LONG CAGE 10SPD BLK
-Shifters SRAM SL TRIGGER XO (MMX clamps)
-Cassette/Freewheel SRAM PG 1070 12-36T for 10 Speed
-Chain KMC X10SL SUPER LIGHT NARROW CN 1/2"x11/128"x112L.W/HOLLOW PIN
Hubs Black Anodized Vuelta XRP Team 29er SL Edition, Precison Bearing with QR, Front hub for 15mm Thru-Axle
-Spokes Double Butted Stainless steel black finish with alloy nipples
-Rims Vuleta XRP Team 29er SuperLite Disc, doublewall aluminum/eyelets
Tires
-Kenda Small Block 8, 29x2.1" 120TPI Kevlar, presta valve tubes

-Brakes AVID Elixir 9 HYDRAULIC DISC BRAKE, 160mm HS1 ROTOR , -Black Anodized 6 bolt IS mount rear/ post mount front
-Brake Levers AVID Elixir 9 HYDRAULIC DISC BRAKE
Headset FSA IS-2, Orbit IS INTEGRATED OS 1-1/8 H/SET, 1-1/8 ACB Top,ANGULAR CONTACT BEARING ( FOR 45MM OD HEAD TUBE ), W/ Standard 15mm top cover
-Handlebar RITCHEY MTN COMP FLAT, ALLOY( 2014 ) FLAT H/BAR(5°) BB BLK W/COLOR LOGO B/CENTER:31.8mm.R/W:0/660mm
-Stem RITCHEY STEM COMP 4-AXIS ( BAR CENTER : 31.8mm ) (6°) 100/110/120mm FOR 17/19/21", BB BLK W/BB SILVER FRONT CAP W/COLOR LOGO
-Tape/Grip Ritchey WCS Hex foam
Saddle VELO Competition MTB, SUPERLITE FOAM W/ CR/N TI ALLOY RAIL
-Seat Post RITCHEY COMP 2B ALLOY( 2014 ) Aluminum 31.6x350mm
-Seat Post Clamp Super Light Polished Aluminum

---------------------------

Sette-Razzo-SC-X9-V2-10s-29er-Carbon-Bike—Gloss-Black-with-Crimson-Red

Frame
Sette Razzo SC UD Carbon Tube To Tube Construction

Size(s)
15", 17", 19", 21"

Fork
Rock Shox Reba RLT Dual Air QR15 100mm Tapered

Shifters
Sram X.9 Triggers 2x10 Speed

Front Derailleur
Sram X.9 Top Swing Top Pull

Rear Derailleur
Sram X.9 Long Cage 10 Speed

Shifter Cable/Housing
Jagwire

Brake Levers
Avid Elixir 5

Front Brake
Avid Elixir 5 160mm HS1 rotor

Rear Brake
Avid Elixir 5 160mm HS1 rotor

Crankset
Sram X.9 39-26t 175mm

Bottom Bracket
Sram GXP

Cassette
Sram PG-1050 11-36t 10 Speed

Chain
Sram PC-1051 10 Speed

Headset
FSA Sealed Tapered

Handlebar
Easton EA50 XC Wide Flat 685mm

Grips/Tape
Sette Type-S Lock On

Stem
Easton EA50 (15&17" 80mm,19" 90mm, 21" 100mm)

Saddle
Fizik Tundra 2 With Mangenese Rails

Seatpost
Easton EA70 31.6 x 400mm

Wheelset
Sun Ringle Inferno 23 Rims With Formula DC 32 hole Sealed Bearings Hubs

Front Tire
Kenda Slant Six 29x2.0

Rear Tire
Kenda Slant Six 29x2.0

Color(s)
Gloss Black with Crimson Red

I really appreciate your comments.. I am looking for a durability bike, that can be ride over most terrains.. not for compiting.. just for weekend ridding…but with good quality components.. and a good product.. not looking for a well know brand... just for a quialit product..

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.