mtbr member

29er HT road trip: Moab, Hurricane, or Sedona help me pick 2

Planning a road trip from Boise to Phoenix in early march. We can spend 2 days at 2 of these three locations. Moab, Hurricane, Sedona.
    Been to Moab 2x in March loved Sovereign and Porcupine (it was snowed in the second time). I think I am starting to get a bit board with Moab in the spring. Want to go in the fall and tackle the Whole Enchilada.
    Been to Hurricane 1x. Loved guacamole, and the Hurricane, Goulds, JEM loop. Would love to hit those again and also try gooseberry mesa.
    Never been to Sedona. Seems like an idea winter riding destination and we will be passing right by it no matter what. The little research I have done points to a large amount of flowy trail that seems like it would fit our bike selection well.
    Personally I am leaning toward Hurricane and Sedona.
    My crew is 3 guys 2 intermediate 1 beginner/intermediate but gutsy (he loved JEM but didnt do the whole loop).
    I will be trying out my new Honzo, The other intermediate will be riding his motobecane ht 29er and the beginner/intermediate will be riding his origen8 ht 29er.
    Help me decide. Is Sedona as good as advertised? Am I missing some good spring trails in Moab?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I spent New Years in Sedona with some intermediate level friends and we all had a blast. Definitely go, especially if you haven't been before. There is technical stuff if you want it, but also more flow than you could ride in your time there. Make sure to do a loop including Mescal and Aerie.

mtbr member
    I'd spend all 4 days in Sedona! I love the place...

I'm hoping to get out there this March/April as well.

Some photos for flava!

Sedona 2012 - a set on Flickr

Talk to Dave at the Fat Tire Bike Shop. He's a bike wizard for repairs and he can hook you up with some great ride suggestions well suited to your skill levels and bikes.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

beater

29er HT road trip: Moab, Hurricane, or Sedona help me pick 2

Sounds like you've answered your own question, especially if you volunteered that you're getting bored of Moab in the spring. I've never ridden in Sedona, and if I were in your shoes I would definitely take advantage of the opportunity.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Sedona is simply amazing and highly underrated - which also means not busy - im sure that will change someday but get while gettings good - and you can easily spend all 4 days there and ride new for hours every day

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kamper11 View Post
    Sedona is simply amazing and highly underrated - which also means not busy - im sure that will change someday but get while gettings good - and you can easily spend all 4 days there and ride new for hours every day
    My last trip I spent 9 days riding there and didn't get it all done without any repeats. There is a staggering amount of awesome riding and not very busy at all.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Are you guys planning on riding in Phx as well?
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

I don't know about Sedona, but you will not be disappointed with St.G/Hurricane. If you are, please stop by my house to drop off your rig, because you do not like mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Awesome photos Vik, now I want to go there as well. One other reason to skip Moab this time is that your car mileage will be considerably shorter if you do Gooseberry/St. George and Sedona. Less driving = more riding.

mtbr member
    I'd spend 2 in Sedona and 2 in Hurricane. As has been said plenty of good stuff in Sedona (trails, food, booze etc.) but you should experience Goosberry and if you can find a guide little creek mesa as well, I haven't been impressed food or booze in Hurricane/ st george but that's not what it's all about.

Bite Me.
    I'd give half my right neuticle to ride Gooseberry again. Sedona was really fun too. I say hit the stuff haven't ridden before.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells