Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Johnnyp060's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    43

    29er high volume tires

    I'm looking for a good high volume 29er tire. I've run the Kenda small block 8's and I love those but the sidewalls get cuts in them a lot, I then went to the WTB exiwolf and that is a good tire except I just put my small block 8's back on and realize how heavy and slow they are. Anyone have any suggestions on a lighter weight, fast, high volume 29er tire. Thanks

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,673
    Racing Ralph is the highest volume, fastest rolling, lightest tire. You cannot go wrong for XC racing with the Ralph. But for $55/tire it better be good!

    I don't know how durable the SB8's are, but the RR has a supple casing, and it's light, so it might get cuts as well. Someone with experience with these tires would know, but the Dry X is also a good tire and has a large volume and it might be a little more durable.

  3. #3
    workin' it Administrator
    Reputation: rockcrusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    8,127
    i like the rampages front and rear. Roll well. Don't know about weight though.

    Geax Sagauros are really nice, good volume and rolly too. Again not sure about the weight but I like it as a rear.
    Try this: HTFU

  4. #4
    Captain Underpants
    Reputation: Random Drivel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,300
    Wellll, the WTB Stout comes to mind, except for the light weight part. Pretty decent rolling resistance, though at 1100g per tire, weight weenies and Girl Scouts need not apply. With the beefy sidewall I doubt cuts are an issue. it ends up being pretty fast, due to the fact you can bash it into anything.

    Rampages are around 750--800g, Racing Ralphs less. Probably the only tire that meets your criteria is the Rampage.
    Last edited by Random Drivel; 03-19-2008 at 07:16 AM.

  5. #5
    Harmonius Wrench
    Reputation: Guitar Ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,111

    Conti Mountain king

    Don't overlook the Conti Mountain King 2.4" While they are not quite the bulbous monsters that the Ralph and WW are, they are pretty big, and they roll pretty well, as far as I can say. I am testing some out here in the desert. Rocks, rocks, and more rocks! Ran 20 psi tubeless front and rear with no troubles. Great grip and rolled over the rocks really well. More air pressure for buffer trails would only make them faster. I weighed my two tires at 730 grams each and the side walls seem better than the Ralphs for sure.

    Dry X's are really nice too, but not as big as the Contis. Geax tires, as suggested, are also really great tires, long lasting, hard tread compound though. Maybe a Maxxis CrossMark might be a grippier solution for that type of tire.

    I've got a Rampage and a Racing Ralph too, but both are thinner sidewall tires that won't take as much abuse as some of the others listed.

  6. #6
    trail rat
    Reputation: slocaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,711
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    Racing Ralph is the highest volume, fastest rolling, lightest tire. You cannot go wrong for XC racing with the Ralph. But for $55/tire it better be good!

    I don't know how durable the SB8's are, but the RR has a supple casing, and it's light, so it might get cuts as well. Someone with experience with these tires would know, but the Dry X is also a good tire and has a large volume and it might be a little more durable.
    There have been a few reports of sidewall cuts in fairly tame, slightly rocky terrain. My friend, jms, cut one first ride, and aword4you has posted pics of a gash. Sound like a great race tire for buff single track.

    I have a pair of 2.4 but have been a little worried to ride them much.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

  7. #7
    Captain Underpants
    Reputation: Random Drivel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,300
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    Don't overlook the Conti Mountain King 2.4" While they are not quite the bulbous monsters that the Ralph and WW are, they are pretty big, and they roll pretty well, as far as I can say. I am testing some out here in the desert. Rocks, rocks, and more rocks! Ran 20 psi tubeless front and rear with no troubles. Great grip and rolled over the rocks really well. More air pressure for buffer trails would only make them faster. I weighed my two tires at 730 grams each and the side walls seem better than the Ralphs for sure.
    Agree with everything you have to say here Ted, though to be honest, I do not like the way the Conti handles loose over hardpack. The side knobs (do I have my nomenclature right?) seem to give way in turns, and I find myself backing off slighly when going into turns as a result. Plead do not get me wrong, I love this tire, esp. for mud and wet conditions--in my opinion, it is THE winter tire. but I don't think it will make a good summer tire in certain conditions.

    I do like the way it handles gravel, though. Plows right through.

    Your thoughts?

    PS: liked your write-up of the WTB Stout. My sentiments 'zactly.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    37

    Bontrager ACX 2.2

    It is a nice all around tire and it is a very legitimate 2.2 and ways in ~620 and made to run tubeless if so desired.

    My only experience with the RR and Contis is in their 26 versions. I loved the RRs, but you go through them fast. If I didn't run only tubeless ready tires I would be using the RRs. I hated the Contis as they were heavier and less durable than the RRs and didn't hook up nearly as well stipulating "in what I ride."

  9. #9
    I am the owl
    Reputation: riderx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,717
    For high volume, fast rolling I use the Kenda Karma 2.2. Otherwise I'm on the Nevegal 2.2. I'm constantly riding both of those in rocky technical terrain and haven't had any issues.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,332
    I dumped my rampages don't fit on the rim well at all, much too loose, ripped off 2 valves in the space of 3miles so not risking that, got 2 of them barely used to

    Ahhh for proper 2.4's with decent knob height!!

    Goes off to hunt the Stout's review, the weight does put me off though and i'm far from a weenie but don't fancy lugging 1lb more over fences.

  11. #11
    SBK
    SBK is offline
    HMFIC
    Reputation: SBK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    371
    I know they're discontinued, but apparently they can still be found - the Specialized Resolution Pro is a nice-rolling 2.3 with good volume. Worth checking out if you can find some. I picked up a pair at Absolute Bikes in Flagstaff, AZ last week!
    Mark
    "Anger is a gift..."

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: azjonboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,423
    WTB WW 2.55 is large, not too heavy, my 4 weigh 740'ish each. Rolls really fast and climbs / descends well. The new Dry X is also a winner. Weighs 670, has good volume for a 2.1 and rolls very well. These two perform very well over the rocks and sand of AZ.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

  13. #13
    No Justice = No Peace
    Reputation: Lutarious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,514

    Nanos?

    Doesn't anyone like the Nanoraptor any more? I love that tire. fast, tough, wears well and seems to hold on pretty well in everything except mud. I run them front and rear in the summer adn swap the front to an Exiwolf in the winter when it's a little wetter around here.
    "Welcome to my underground lair...."

  14. #14
    Always Learning
    Reputation: BruceBrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,985
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyp060
    I'm looking for a good high volume 29er tire. I've run the Kenda small block 8's and I love those but the sidewalls get cuts in them a lot, I then went to the WTB exiwolf and that is a good tire except I just put my small block 8's back on and realize how heavy and slow they are. Anyone have any suggestions on a lighter weight, fast, high volume 29er tire. Thanks
    Not too much available that meet both the lighter weight and higher volume than the SB 8's.

    XR 2.25's (run the 2.25 front tire F & R)
    Racing Ralph 2.4's (mine weigh 610 and 630 grams - warning: these are huge and will not fit in many frames)

    Slightly heavier options with good volume and weight ratios:

    WTB Weirwolfs
    Fire XC Pros (tough, tough sidewalls and very aggressive tread)
    Last edited by BruceBrown; 03-20-2008 at 05:50 PM.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Johnnyp060's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    43

    True to size

    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    Don't overlook the Conti Mountain King 2.4" While they are not quite the bulbous monsters that the Ralph and WW are, they are pretty big, and they roll pretty well, as far as I can say. I am testing some out here in the desert. Rocks, rocks, and more rocks! Ran 20 psi tubeless front and rear with no troubles. Great grip and rolled over the rocks really well. More air pressure for buffer trails would only make them faster. I weighed my two tires at 730 grams each and the side walls seem better than the Ralphs for sure.

    Dry X's are really nice too, but not as big as the Contis. Geax tires, as suggested, are also really great tires, long lasting, hard tread compound though. Maybe a Maxxis CrossMark might be a grippier solution for that type of tire.

    I've got a Rampage and a Racing Ralph too, but both are thinner sidewall tires that won't take as much abuse as some of the others listed.
    Are the Mountain King's true to size?, I know sometimes you get a 2.2 tire and you put it on and it's more like a 1.75. If that's the case, I'll go with the 2.4. Thanks

  16. #16
    Captain Underpants
    Reputation: Random Drivel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,300
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyp060
    Are the Mountain King's true to size?, I know sometimes you get a 2.2 tire and you put it on and it's more like a 1.75. If that's the case, I'll go with the 2.4. Thanks
    I think the 2.4's are pretty close, I think I measured 58 mm knob to knob on a set of RhynoLites.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bikeny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,915

    Halo Choir Master

    The Halo Choir Master is not talked about much here, but is an excellent tire. It has a slightly larger casing than a Rampage (but not as big as a Weirwolf), and slightly bigger knobs than a Weirwolf. Claimed weight is 790g. Also, it has a wire bead so is an excellent choice for a Stan's tubeless setup. The sidewalls seem to be pretty durable and they have excellent grip and roll pretty well. Maybe not as light as some of the others, but certainly more durable if you have sidewall issues. I have been running a set on my rigid SS for about 6 months and have been very happy with them.

    Mark

  18. #18
    Harmonius Wrench
    Reputation: Guitar Ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,111
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Drivel
    I think the 2.4's are pretty close, I think I measured 58 mm knob to knob on a set of RhynoLites.
    Mine are more like 2.25-2.3" measured on Stan's Flow rims at 30 psi.

  19. #19
    conjoinicorned
    Reputation: ferday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,530
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Drivel
    I think the 2.4's are pretty close, I think I measured 58 mm knob to knob on a set of RhynoLites.

    in fairness i have the 2.2 (not the 2.4).....but the 2.2's are waaaaay smaller than a 2.1 ignitor. like alot smaller. i can't imagine the 2.4's are close to real.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

  20. #20
    is buachail foighneach me
    Reputation: sean salach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,902
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutarious
    Doesn't anyone like the Nanoraptor any more? I love that tire. fast, tough, wears well and seems to hold on pretty well in everything except mud. I run them front and rear in the summer adn swap the front to an Exiwolf in the winter when it's a little wetter around here.

    i like nano as a rear tire on a rigid bike, but the op asked for high (air) volume tires, which the nano is not.

  21. #21
    is buachail foighneach me
    Reputation: sean salach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,902
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Drivel
    I think the 2.4's are pretty close, I think I measured 58 mm knob to knob on a set of RhynoLites.
    58 / 25.4 = 2.283"

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,273
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutarious
    Doesn't anyone like the Nanoraptor any more? I love that tire. fast, tough, wears well and seems to hold on pretty well in everything except mud. I run them front and rear in the summer adn swap the front to an Exiwolf in the winter when it's a little wetter around here.
    That's a good question Lutarious. You live and ride in the East Bay Area don't you? I have moved away from the Nano's for no other reason than trying to find something better. Maybe I should just go back to them. I have never used it as a front tire though. Since you run them like that I assume you like the way they handle. How low do you run them? Tubes or no?

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Johnnyp060's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    43

    2.2 or 2.4?

    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    Mine are more like 2.25-2.3" measured on Stan's Flow rims at 30 psi.
    Do you have the 2.2 or 2.4?

  24. #24
    No Justice = No Peace
    Reputation: Lutarious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,514

    East Bay, yes

    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding
    That's a good question Lutarious. You live and ride in the East Bay Area don't you? I have moved away from the Nano's for no other reason than trying to find something better. Maybe I should just go back to them. I have never used it as a front tire though. Since you run them like that I assume you like the way they handle. How low do you run them? Tubes or no?
    Yea, I live right near the park in Montclair. I really like the Nanos most of the year. The Exi holds better in wet stuff, for sure, but it weighs so much I only use it in front in the winter. I run both tires with tubes at around 35 pounds sometimes less.

    I haven't tried alot of different tires, but these work well for me and they are on sale at Mikes in Berkeley. (19.99 ! ) Buy a few.
    "Welcome to my underground lair...."

  25. #25
    Captain Underpants
    Reputation: Random Drivel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,300
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    Mine are more like 2.25-2.3" measured on Stan's Flow rims at 30 psi.
    Fair enough, I am going from memory as it is.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •