Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2013

29er Hardtail for around $2,000!!! Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Size? If you're looking for a Large I'd look at this, with the $250 off coupon going on right now that puts it roughly around $2450 that's close right .

Sette Razzo SC X0 10 Speed 29er Carbon Bike 19" Demo | Sette | Brand | www.PricePoint.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    are you capable of building or getting a bike built or do you have to buy a complete bike? I have a canfield brothers yelli screamy and it's the shiznit and i've yet to see a bad review on it or any of the other slack headangle/short chainstay 29ers such as the canfield nimble 9 or kona honzo which actually is only 1899. KONAWORLD

canfield only sells frames not completes

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    You will not be disappointed by a Sette Razzo, really good bike. Frankly you'd be hard pressed to get the components for that much that are hanging on it.
    Climbing Builds Character

mtbr member
    +1 on the Honzo, but it depends what you are looking for. I just built up a Kona Honzo and LOVE it. If you are looking for a bike to race on XC type terrain then look elsewhere, but if you want a bike that will make your trails more fun and give you confidence both on tecy uphill or on downhill then look no further than a Honzo (or I am sure a similar slack, short CS hardtail like the Nimble 9 mentioned above. If you are worried about the single ring and or dont have a steel vs aluminum preference you can also check out the Kona Taro (aluminum version of Honzo). You would have enough left over for a Hammerschidt which I think complements the bike excellently.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Also for $1750 you can get the Razzo x9, still a sub-25lbs carbon wonder bike.
    Sette Razzo SC X9 V2 10s 29er Carbon Bike - Gloss Black with Crimson Red | Sette | Brand | www.PricePoint.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I just did this a few months ago. I thought I would spend no more than $2400 and the LBS gave me a smokin deal on a Cannondale F29 Carbon 3. Was seriously looking at a Spec SJ EVO 29 but went with the carbon lefty.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Giant XTC Composite can be had for about $2400.00. I plan on getting one and a buddy just bought one. I rode his and was super impressed with it. Comes from the box with Shimano brakes and a 2x10 set-up. The only real complaint I've read about has been the Giant brand wheels being eavier than others. Lifetime guarantee on frames too. Just saw your location, we are neighbors. Talk to Don on Hi Dez mtn bikers. When shopping,call John at Don's bikes in rialto.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks for your input everyone I have a quite a few bikes i want to test ride and check out! Really looking hard at Specialized Carve and Stumpjumper....always wanted a specialized bike but peeps say you can get more of a bike with other name brands. I still have my 06 Giant 26er hardtail and that was great bike. Unfortunately i can only buy "ONE" lol

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Here's one I picked up. Super light carbon:
    GT Zaskar Cabon Niner Expert 29er - Giantnerd®

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Bryan, I have a 12' Stumpjumper comp and a friend of mine has a Goblin, knowing what I know now I'm really glad I got the Stumpjumper out the door for $1299. It was a closeout test bike. MSRP was $2200 for a new one and I think that I could have gotten a new one for $1850 or so by haggling. Anyway, in my humble opinion the Goblin is every bit as good as the Stumpjumper with the exception of maybe 1-2lbs in extra weight. What makes the Goblin so good is the Reba and the crank combined with the fact they didn't saddle the Goblin with 90mm of travel on the Reba like Spec did on the Stumpy. Now I have to go in and get rid of spacers that were put in for the sake of geo supposedly. Of course they've got 2 10mm spacers on the stem, they could have gotten rid of that or lowered the stem to make up for the loss of travel.

Advantage thus far of the Spec also is the warranty and LBS, my rear wheel internals fried and it was covered under warranty. I had my bike back in a couple days with a new wheel and I didn't have to do any labor. Not sure that would be the case with the Goblin. Unfortunately, you can get a Goblin X0 for the price of Stump comp, so that makes it a really hard decision for me.

If you do go with the Stump, remember walk out the door, there's no reason to pay MSRP on them. They'll be calling you back with another $200-300 off the next day.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    I love my Salsa El Mariachi 2! A very capable hardtail with the option to SS. I have mine set up as a 1x10 and SS. Takes about 10 minutes to switch from one to the other. I recommend adding it to your list.

Merendon Junkie
    I got the Salsa El Mariachi 3 and I am very happy with it. With your budget, I would go with the ELMar 2, like the poster above suggested. Its not the lightes bike around, but at 25lbs, its not that bad. The ride quality more than makes up for it.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Another vote for the El Mariachi. Great value and all around bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Santa Cruz Highball RXC. It has convertible dropouts for SS.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks for the input I'll have to take a look at Salsa and Santa cruz too....The decision gets tougher

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Salsa bikes looks really nice....Just have to drive a quite a bit to test ride! guess when you dropping 2k on a bike you better make sure you LOVE it

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    We need more info on what type of riding you do. I love my Yelli Screamy for the steep, jumpy riding I like to do but it all depends on the type of riding you are looking to do. $2000 is a great budget!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I mainly do desert single track! Awesome 9 mile loop by my house with plenty of rock gardens and lots of fun....nothing like getting on your bike and trail 5 min away . Big Bear CA about 40 min away and i plan on hitting some of the local mountain trails up there. So many bikes to choose from damn

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I just picked up a 2013 Specialized Carve Pro. I have only had the bike out on the trails twice but I am very happy with it so far. Bike has good components and is ready to go right away. Weighs in at 26.5 lbs stock with tubeless.

mtbr member
    The 2013 Specialized Carve is a fine bike. Swap the stock brakes for SLX or XT brakes, and you will have a near-perfect bike for the price range. The handling of the Carve is darn near perfect in its telepathic accuracy.
    '12 S-Works Stumpjumper carbon HT
    '13 Specialized Carve Comp
    '94 S-Works M2

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Can you go just a bit more? If so my vote goes to the Goblin XO.

Have had mine for a few weeks and am very happy. In full disclosure I am a new rider (bout a year in) so I really cannot speak to many tech issues but I know I have a great ride with top of the line components.

I have had no issues save a bent derailleur hanger and in that case received a replacement gratis within 3 days !

Great customer service. Have you ever tried to get the owners of Spec or Giant on the phone?

Longshot, but if you are in North Central Florida take mine for a spin.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm in the market too for a sub $2000 bike. Best bang for the buck on a regular store bought bike looks to be a Trek Superfly AL from my research, they go for $1800 in my area. I haven't ridden one yet but hope to today. I really want that 15mm thru axle Reba fork and I also want shimano drivetrain and brakes.....the Superfly AL delivers.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Getting lots of feedback on Specialized Carve and Trek Stache! You can't go wrong with either bike...Actually on my way to check some bikes out today

mtbr member
    I had an opportunity to buy a Stumpy Evo hardtail from my LBS for about $2,100, to me that's about the best deal I've come across on a $2k hardtail.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast