Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 70
  1. #1
    I like rigid MTB.
    Reputation: edle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    159

    29er handlebar width ???

    What is the common 29er handlebar width ???
    Does it difference than 26er handlebar width ??? Why ?

  2. #2
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,205
    ...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    141
    I think ultimately it's dependent on the rider's preference. My Stumpjumper came with 27" bars, which ultimately I thought was far too wide, and I like wide bars. I hope I didn't cut too much off, needless to say they are now 24.5". I think I should have started at 1/2" off each side of the bar. Good Luck.

  4. #4
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307
    Quote Originally Posted by edle View Post
    What is the common 29er handlebar width ???
    Does it difference than 26er handlebar width ??? Why ?
    A bike is a bike. A bar is a bar. Same rider, same bar.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bike Whisperer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,214
    Take your 26er bar width and multiply it by 1.115 to get your 29er bar width

  6. #6
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,888
    A taller tire gives the trail more leverage on the rider. The 29in spinning tire also has more rotational inertia due both to the additional weight and the larger diameter. All of this argues for a giving the rider a longer lever to control it all. Of course the rider ergonomic interest trumps all of this, but provided the bike "fits", people seem to prefer wider bars on bigger wheels.

  7. #7
    Rogue Exterminator
    Reputation: kjlued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,956
    To a degree wider = more control and narrower = more clearance on narrower trails.
    Larger tires benefit from a little more leverage which is why 29ers usually come with wider bars.
    My 26" mtn bike has 24" bars
    my 29" mtn bike has 27" bars

    I have never really had an issue with the 27" bars being too wide on my 29er and ride some fairly tight single track here in Western NC (Asheville area). That being said, I would get the widest bar you are comfortable with but it ultimately comes down to rider preference. If clearance on the trails is an issue then get narrower bars but going less then your shoulder width is usually pretty pointless.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wetpaint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    311
    It really depends on preference & comfort. Mine are 25" wide right now and they're almost a bit too wide. I ride a lot of really really tight singletrack, and my bars barely fit through the trees

  9. #9
    Biking Like Crazy!
    Reputation: blcman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,155
    Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphic View Post
    A taller tire gives the trail more leverage on the rider. The 29in spinning tire also has more rotational inertia due both to the additional weight and the larger diameter. All of this argues for a giving the rider a longer lever to control it all. Of course the rider ergonomic interest trumps all of this, but provided the bike "fits", people seem to prefer wider bars on bigger wheels.
    ^This.

    Also stem length can be indirectly proportional to bar width.
    Wider bars usually work better with shorter stems and longer stems and narrower bars. Generally!
    But fit and trail conditions and the type of riding should be taken into consideration also.
    Last edited by blcman; 01-01-2013 at 10:09 AM.
    Ibis HD3
    Niner Rip9 RDO
    Niner WFO
    Knolly Podium

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sand wedge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    204
    My RM Altitude 970 came with 685 mm bars and a 90 mm stem, I replaced them with 725 mm bars and 50 mm stem to match more of my 26er AM. I comes down to what type of riding you are doing. XC is usually narrower bars with a longer stem and AM is usually the opposite.

  11. #11
    Rogue Exterminator
    Reputation: kjlued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,956
    Quote Originally Posted by sand wedge View Post
    My RM Altitude 970 came with 685 mm bars and a 90 mm stem, I replaced them with 725 mm bars and 50 mm stem to match more of my 26er AM. I comes down to what type of riding you are doing. XC is usually narrower bars with a longer stem and AM is usually the opposite.
    Yeah, well my 725 came with 552 and 223 but I swapped it out for a 677 and 221.

    Seriously, I get what you are saying but I am guessing you just spoke a foreign language to the OP. lol

  12. #12
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    20,033
    He's absolutely right and that works out to.......29" wide
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    Take your 26er bar width and multiply it by 1.115 to get your 29er bar width
    Seriously, handlebar width is not wheel size specific, it's a combination of rider preference, stem length, tyre size/width, terrain, intended usage. I prefer a wider bar since I prefer to ride chunky terrain and it gives more leverage, hence control for me in this sort of stuff.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  13. #13
    Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Reputation: In-Yo-Grill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,157
    Wider on my 29er for sure.
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mack_turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    5,546
    if you're in the market for a new handlebar, buy something wider than what you need. cut a little off the ends if you think it's too wide until you find the sweet spot. I feel at home on 685/710mm bars (that's about 27-28 inches).

  15. #15
    Oh Yeah Baby
    Reputation: Shocker99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    157
    Ive gone thru about 5 sets of bars on my 29er.

    I generally tend to like risers but have also tried flats bars as well. Couple sets of alt. bars too. They kept get wider and wider and the tree's were getting closer and closer. I always seemed to return to one set that always feel just right.

    Plus it's fun trying out different handlebars from time to time once your whip is built and you really have no need to throw money at it.
    Misfit Psycles diSSent
    Trek CrossRip Comp

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    84
    no difference from 26 for me

    i use a 720 riser for rougher trails. The wider bars = more stability.
    If i want to go flat out on tight single track i use a 680 flat bar. Less stability but can dart through tight spaces. It also makes the bike more twitchy, or quicker handling. Same as i ever did on the 26. If anything, i would hypothesize that you might be able to get away with a narrowrer bar easier on a 29 than a 26 due to the increased stability that the 29er wheels offer. But in practice, for me, no diff whatsoever.

  17. #17
    Airborne Flight Crew
    Reputation: jhazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,325
    Quote Originally Posted by 911Holy$ View Post
    no difference from 26 for me

    i use a 720 riser for rougher trails. The wider bars = more stability.
    If i want to go flat out on tight single track i use a 680 flat bar. Less stability but can dart through tight spaces. It also makes the bike more twitchy, or quicker handling. Same as i ever did on the 26. If anything, i would hypothesize that you might be able to get away with a narrowrer bar easier on a 29 than a 26 due to the increased stability that the 29er wheels offer. But in practice, for me, no diff whatsoever.

    Same here, I prefer wide on the 26, no different for me on the 29er. I'm at 725mm wide I think...
    Airborne Flight Crew

    Jerry Hazard – website

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    991
    780 on 26

  19. #19
    Ride Like the Wind
    Reputation: steve32300's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    99
    Read once that wider bars help to keep the rider's arms spread out away from the sides of the chest so the lungs can expand better getting more room to breath O2.Seems to make sense if your a rider that might have this problem..

  20. #20
    Rogue Exterminator
    Reputation: kjlued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,956
    Wider bars achieve very little difference in opening your lung capacity if your arms are still in the straight position. Hold your arms straight out with your hands 24" apart. Now move the hands 27" apart and you will see very little difference in your chest.

    Now push your elbows out and see your chest expand. You can achieve the same results with your hands 24" apart or 27" apart.

    So unless you are comparing a 12" bar to a 48" bar I would say this is just one of those many myths of why something is better.

  21. #21
    Industry Vet
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    To a degree wider = more control and narrower = more clearance on narrower trails.
    Larger tires benefit from a little more leverage which is why 29ers usually come with wider bars.
    My 26" mtn bike has 24" bars
    my 29" mtn bike has 27" bars

    I have never really had an issue with the 27" bars being too wide on my 29er and ride some fairly tight single track here in Western NC (Asheville area). That being said, I would get the widest bar you are comfortable with but it ultimately comes down to rider preference. If clearance on the trails is an issue then get narrower bars but going less then your shoulder width is usually pretty pointless.
    Wow you must have some tight trails. I'm running a 745 and I run on the narrow side for this area.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,054
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Yeah, well my 725 came with 552 and 223 but I swapped it out for a 677 and 221.

    Seriously, I get what you are saying but I am guessing you just spoke a foreign language to the OP. lol
    Stop being a jerk. The vast majority of bars out there are sold in mm, not inch specs.

    To the OP, 685-730mm is probably the most common range for bar widths these days. I prefer wide bars--710-780

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    467
    Quote Originally Posted by thorkild View Post
    Stop being a jerk. The vast majority of bars out there are sold in mm, not inch specs.

    To the OP, 685-730mm is probably the most common range for bar widths these days. I prefer wide bars--710-780
    I was thinking to my self, oh great, just when I got used to mm, people switched back to inches lol.

    Anyhow, I prefer short bars but that just me...I get claustrophobic looking at the gaps between my bar ends and trees lol. So my 29er has 670 bars and my 26er run 660mm.

  24. #24
    Biking Like Crazy!
    Reputation: blcman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,155
    Quote Originally Posted by 50calray View Post
    I was thinking to my self, oh great, just when I got used to mm, people switched back to inches lol.

    Anyhow, I prefer short bars but that just me...I get claustrophobic looking at the gaps between my bar ends and trees lol. So my 29er has 670 bars and my 26er run 660mm.
    Just curious what length stems you running?
    Ibis HD3
    Niner Rip9 RDO
    Niner WFO
    Knolly Podium

  25. #25
    Did I catch a niner+?
    Reputation: Mr Pink57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,884
    I'm comfortable between 680 and 710 with a 12 to 17 degree sweep.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tailwaters's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    865
    I originally started out with a set of 580mm flat bars and went up to a 660mm wide flat bar. And I will tell you it makes a big difference in the handling and control. Leverage is the key here.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    467
    Quote Originally Posted by blcman View Post
    Just curious what length stems you running?
    100mm on the 26er (but just ordered a 90mm). I'm not sure about my 29er, it's been in the shop since almost day one but guess it's a 90mm as well.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tailwaters's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    865
    90mm

  29. #29
    Rogue Exterminator
    Reputation: kjlued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,956
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepDave View Post
    Wow you must have some tight trails. I'm running a 745 and I run on the narrow side for this area.
    Yeah, some of the trails around here get a little narrow.

    Quote Originally Posted by thorkild View Post
    Stop being a jerk. The vast majority of bars out there are sold in mm, not inch specs.

    To the OP, 685-730mm is probably the most common range for bar widths these days. I prefer wide bars--710-780


    Geez, I put "lol" after it, should I put an array of emoticons too?

    Sandwedge, if you thought I was being a jerk, my apologies.

    thorkild, Get over yourself

  30. #30
    Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Reputation: In-Yo-Grill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,157
    Going to a 720 on my 26" and currently running a 750 on my 29er.
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    10
    Currently at 720mm wide on mine. 50mm stem

  32. #32
    meatier showers
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    7,335
    Don't forget to up your shoe size when you get a 29er, too. =D

    Seriously, there's plenty bad advice in this thread. Some good, too.... just sayin'.

    --sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    10
    There's a nice vid at Pink Pike's Tech Tuesday - 'How Wide Affects Your Ride'
    Can't give link as my post count is not high enough
    It may help ...?

  34. #34
    Trail Ninja
    Reputation: Varaxis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    4,646
    It's only natural to put a 29" (~740mm) bar on a 29er.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    32

    Smile 29er wider bars advantage

    Quote Originally Posted by edle View Post
    What is the common 29er handlebar width ???
    Does it difference than 26er handlebar width ??? Why ?
    Not sure in all the post if any one gave pro and cons to wider bars for 29er.

    I only been on 29er for 3 years and got a wider salsa bar on my first 29er. I hit alot of trees with the tight trails we have in central pa (michaux, rothrock, bald eagle, and weiser forest). I kept my bars that came on my santa cruz tallboy 2013 (685 on new bike but had 710 on old bike).

    The advantage i saw was wider opens up your upper buddy. Meaning it harder to lift the front wheel on 29er than 26 bike (yeah I know some of you young guys it no difference ). It also easier to move the bike and take some better controls on hits. Make sense to me if I ride wide open trails like raystown system up huntingdon.

    I figure it like lifting weight do you put you hand in close when you dead lift or do you keep them out farther. i know for single speeder bikes they make riding easier (meaning hard tail forks on front not suspension). I'm running 685 but will never go back to the old 640 length (the old 23 to 24.5"). I like it easier to steer the bike, but the drawl back is the tight tails when I scrape the trees (keep hands in 1" when riding through tight tails so end caps hit the trees).

    BigE

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tailwaters's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    865
    It's all about leverage and the wider the bars the better the leverage. After stuffing the front end twice during a race I'll never go back to he narrow bars. Had I had the wider bars I would have had the leverage to pull my way out of the situation. But thats me , I have several friends that swear by the narrow bars.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 4nbstd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    610
    I hadn't given much thought to it, but after reading the replies, I think leverage has a role in preference for wider bar in 29er. I used to have 660mm on a 26er (and felt comfortable), but I found myself going after 710mm or wider for my 29er.
    Ghisallo Wheels

    I'm really good looking.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    703
    When I went to wider bars and a shorter stem, it was an amazing difference. The bike handles much, much better in all situations. I would never go less than 720mm bars or more than a 70mm stem now, because of the way this bike handles when I went there. I ride really tight trails too, but you get used to it quickly and the handling advantage is well worth it for me.

  39. #39
    Rogue Exterminator
    Reputation: kjlued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,956
    Shoot, do it like the fixie fan boys.



    If you have room for brakes and shifters, you are doing it wrong.

  40. #40
    I like rigid MTB.
    Reputation: edle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    159

    Great advices so far.....

    I think I'm going for the short stem/wider handlebar option.

    Thanks again.

  41. #41
    I Ride Bikes
    Reputation: Mazukea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,729
    It's all about your preference and ergonomics.
    I like to hug trees at FULL SPEED!
    INSTAGRAM -> hawaii808MTB
    FACEBOOK -> Big Island Mountain Biking

  42. #42
    Biking Like Crazy!
    Reputation: blcman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,155
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazukea View Post
    It's all about your preference and ergonomics.
    It's also about LOOKING cool too!!!
    Ibis HD3
    Niner Rip9 RDO
    Niner WFO
    Knolly Podium

  43. #43
    Flow like water
    Reputation: DavyRay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    711
    Quote Originally Posted by blcman View Post
    It's also about LOOKING cool too!!!


    You can look cool with wide handlebars or stubby handlebars.
    "Head injuries are pretty high-consequence" - AndrwSwitch

  44. #44
    Biking Like Crazy!
    Reputation: blcman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,155
    Quote Originally Posted by DavyRay View Post


    You can look cool with wide handlebars or stubby handlebars.
    I think you mean low rise or higher rise bars! lol

    Nice pic, Brings back memories!
    Ibis HD3
    Niner Rip9 RDO
    Niner WFO
    Knolly Podium

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    67
    I have always found... shoulder blade width + 2 inches, to be the most comfortable fitting bar.

  46. #46
    Rogue Exterminator
    Reputation: kjlued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,956
    Quote Originally Posted by blcman View Post
    It's also about LOOKING cool too!!!

    Well, if you want to look cool, then the ape hangers will get the job done.


  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    22
    I'm running 80mm stem and super wide bars, love it!

  48. #48
    Biking Like Crazy!
    Reputation: blcman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,155
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Well, if you want to look cool, then the ape hangers will get the job done.

    That's pretty cool, but it could use a dropper post for the gnar!
    Ibis HD3
    Niner Rip9 RDO
    Niner WFO
    Knolly Podium

  49. #49
    meatier showers
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    7,335
    Quote Originally Posted by blcman View Post
    That's pretty cool, but it could use a dropper post for the gnar!
    Looks pretty dropped to me.

    P.S. This is the 29er forum... senator, that's no 29er.

    -sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    20
    How wide you want your bars is something that you decide for yourself.

    I mean rly if you want my opinion you should run 10" wide bars on a 29er and 30" on any other bike (besides a beach cruiser, then i recommend 25.45" wide bars.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •