Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    I like rigid MTB.

29er handlebar width ???

What is the common 29er handlebar width ???
    Does it difference than 26er handlebar width ??? Why ?

AZ
    banned
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I think ultimately it's dependent on the rider's preference. My Stumpjumper came with 27" bars, which ultimately I thought was far too wide, and I like wide bars. I hope I didn't cut too much off, needless to say they are now 24.5". I think I should have started at 1/2" off each side of the bar. Good Luck.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by edle View Post
    What is the common 29er handlebar width ???
    Does it difference than 26er handlebar width ??? Why ?
    A bike is a bike. A bar is a bar. Same rider, same bar.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Take your 26er bar width and multiply it by 1.115 to get your 29er bar width
    Origin 8 Scout 29
    Rodriquez Adventure

Blog

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    A taller tire gives the trail more leverage on the rider. The 29in spinning tire also has more rotational inertia due both to the additional weight and the larger diameter. All of this argues for a giving the rider a longer lever to control it all. Of course the rider ergonomic interest trumps all of this, but provided the bike "fits", people seem to prefer wider bars on bigger wheels.

Rogue Exterminator
    To a degree wider = more control and narrower = more clearance on narrower trails.
    Larger tires benefit from a little more leverage which is why 29ers usually come with wider bars.
    My 26" mtn bike has 24" bars
    my 29" mtn bike has 27" bars

I have never really had an issue with the 27" bars being too wide on my 29er and ride some fairly tight single track here in Western NC (Asheville area). That being said, I would get the widest bar you are comfortable with but it ultimately comes down to rider preference. If clearance on the trails is an issue then get narrower bars but going less then your shoulder width is usually pretty pointless.

mtbr member
    It really depends on preference & comfort. Mine are 25" wide right now and they're almost a bit too wide. I ride a lot of really really tight singletrack, and my bars barely fit through the trees

Biking Like Crazy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphic View Post
    A taller tire gives the trail more leverage on the rider. The 29in spinning tire also has more rotational inertia due both to the additional weight and the larger diameter. All of this argues for a giving the rider a longer lever to control it all. Of course the rider ergonomic interest trumps all of this, but provided the bike "fits", people seem to prefer wider bars on bigger wheels.
    ^This.

Also stem length can be indirectly proportional to bar width.
    Wider bars usually work better with shorter stems and longer stems and narrower bars. Generally!
    But fit and trail conditions and the type of riding should be taken into consideration also.
    Last edited by blcman; 01-01-2013 at 11:09 AM.
    Niner Rip9 RDO
    Niner RIP9
    Niner WFO 650B
    Knolly Chilcotin
    Knolly Podium

mtbr member
    My RM Altitude 970 came with 685 mm bars and a 90 mm stem, I replaced them with 725 mm bars and 50 mm stem to match more of my 26er AM. I comes down to what type of riding you are doing. XC is usually narrower bars with a longer stem and AM is usually the opposite.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by sand wedge View Post
    My RM Altitude 970 came with 685 mm bars and a 90 mm stem, I replaced them with 725 mm bars and 50 mm stem to match more of my 26er AM. I comes down to what type of riding you are doing. XC is usually narrower bars with a longer stem and AM is usually the opposite.
    Yeah, well my 725 came with 552 and 223 but I swapped it out for a 677 and 221.

Seriously, I get what you are saying but I am guessing you just spoke a foreign language to the OP. lol

MTB B'dos
    He's absolutely right and that works out to.......29" wide
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    Take your 26er bar width and multiply it by 1.115 to get your 29er bar width
    Seriously, handlebar width is not wheel size specific, it's a combination of rider preference, stem length, tyre size/width, terrain, intended usage. I prefer a wider bar since I prefer to ride chunky terrain and it gives more leverage, hence control for me in this sort of stuff.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Wider on my 29er for sure.
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

mtbr member
    if you're in the market for a new handlebar, buy something wider than what you need. cut a little off the ends if you think it's too wide until you find the sweet spot. I feel at home on 685/710mm bars (that's about 27-28 inches).

Oh Yeah Baby
    Ive gone thru about 5 sets of bars on my 29er.

I generally tend to like risers but have also tried flats bars as well. Couple sets of alt. bars too. They kept get wider and wider and the tree's were getting closer and closer. I always seemed to return to one set that always feel just right.

Plus it's fun trying out different handlebars from time to time once your whip is built and you really have no need to throw money at it.
    Misfit Psycles diSSent

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    no difference from 26 for me

i use a 720 riser for rougher trails. The wider bars = more stability.
    If i want to go flat out on tight single track i use a 680 flat bar. Less stability but can dart through tight spaces. It also makes the bike more twitchy, or quicker handling. Same as i ever did on the 26. If anything, i would hypothesize that you might be able to get away with a narrowrer bar easier on a 29 than a 26 due to the increased stability that the 29er wheels offer. But in practice, for me, no diff whatsoever.

Airborne Flight Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by 911Holy$ View Post
    no difference from 26 for me

i use a 720 riser for rougher trails. The wider bars = more stability.
    If i want to go flat out on tight single track i use a 680 flat bar. Less stability but can dart through tight spaces. It also makes the bike more twitchy, or quicker handling. Same as i ever did on the 26. If anything, i would hypothesize that you might be able to get away with a narrowrer bar easier on a 29 than a 26 due to the increased stability that the 29er wheels offer. But in practice, for me, no diff whatsoever.

Same here, I prefer wide on the 26, no different for me on the 29er. I'm at 725mm wide I think...
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    780 on 26

Ride Like the Wind
    Read once that wider bars help to keep the rider's arms spread out away from the sides of the chest so the lungs can expand better getting more room to breath O2.Seems to make sense if your a rider that might have this problem..

Rogue Exterminator
    Wider bars achieve very little difference in opening your lung capacity if your arms are still in the straight position. Hold your arms straight out with your hands 24" apart. Now move the hands 27" apart and you will see very little difference in your chest.

Now push your elbows out and see your chest expand. You can achieve the same results with your hands 24" apart or 27" apart.

So unless you are comparing a 12" bar to a 48" bar I would say this is just one of those many myths of why something is better.

Industry Vet
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    To a degree wider = more control and narrower = more clearance on narrower trails.
    Larger tires benefit from a little more leverage which is why 29ers usually come with wider bars.
    My 26" mtn bike has 24" bars
    my 29" mtn bike has 27" bars

I have never really had an issue with the 27" bars being too wide on my 29er and ride some fairly tight single track here in Western NC (Asheville area). That being said, I would get the widest bar you are comfortable with but it ultimately comes down to rider preference. If clearance on the trails is an issue then get narrower bars but going less then your shoulder width is usually pretty pointless.
    Wow you must have some tight trails. I'm running a 745 and I run on the narrow side for this area.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Yeah, well my 725 came with 552 and 223 but I swapped it out for a 677 and 221.

Seriously, I get what you are saying but I am guessing you just spoke a foreign language to the OP. lol
    Stop being a jerk. The vast majority of bars out there are sold in mm, not inch specs.

To the OP, 685-730mm is probably the most common range for bar widths these days. I prefer wide bars--710-780

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by thorkild View Post
    Stop being a jerk. The vast majority of bars out there are sold in mm, not inch specs.

To the OP, 685-730mm is probably the most common range for bar widths these days. I prefer wide bars--710-780
    I was thinking to my self, oh great, just when I got used to mm, people switched back to inches lol.

Anyhow, I prefer short bars but that just me...I get claustrophobic looking at the gaps between my bar ends and trees lol. So my 29er has 670 bars and my 26er run 660mm.

Biking Like Crazy!
    Quote Originally Posted by 50calray View Post
    I was thinking to my self, oh great, just when I got used to mm, people switched back to inches lol.

Anyhow, I prefer short bars but that just me...I get claustrophobic looking at the gaps between my bar ends and trees lol. So my 29er has 670 bars and my 26er run 660mm.
    Just curious what length stems you running?
    Niner Rip9 RDO
    Niner RIP9
    Niner WFO 650B
    Knolly Chilcotin
    Knolly Podium

Did I catch a niner?
    I'm comfortable between 680 and 710 with a 12 to 17 degree sweep.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast