Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Eshenbaugh View Post
    How wide you want your bars is something that you decide for yourself.

I mean rly if you want my opinion you should run 10" wide bars on a 29er and 30" on any other bike (besides a beach cruiser, then i recommend 25.45" wide bars.

Now that is BY FAR the most useful piece of information in this entire thread. Personally, I use little kids bars on my 26er, dirt bike handlebars on my 27.5er, and harley style ape hangers on my 29er, just to make sure they are all properly differentiated.

Perpetual n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by DavyRay View Post

You can look cool with wide handlebars or stubby handlebars.
    Clearly, Dennis Hopper rides AM and Peter Fonda rides DH.
    When the chicks at school see how gay we are, they're gonna be all over us.

Perpetual n00b
    A little experiment with bar and stem length today. Swapped 660mm 9deg bar on 100mm 5deg stem for a 680mm 9deg bar on 90mm 8deg stem. The bike seemed a lot less stable and was difficult to push into turns. Going over obstacles was unnerving and my front wheel slipped on a log and I barrel rolled into the brush like a ninja. Climbing sucked as it felt like I couldn't make the small steering corrections needed to keep the bike upright.

Swapped everything back and all was good again. I'm coming to the conclusion that ergonomics plays a bigger part in bike handling than bar and stem length. Duh, right?
    When the chicks at school see how gay we are, they're gonna be all over us.

mtbr member
    Whats all this stuff about leverage?

Seriously, i have never ridden a bike and thought to myself, "man its hard turning these handle bars, what i need is some mechanical advantage so my chicken arms can turn this corner"

The effect of wider bars IMO stems from the physics of it - wider bars around a point connected to the hubs, means more hand movement for a given wheel movement - through a rock garden this would mean a bit more allowance for a soft hands sort of approach - ie let the wheel move a bit but not too much.

There is also a balance issue - it is easier to balance on 2 wider points than narrower ones - jumping would benefit from bars wider than your shoulders.

Most strong climbers I see, narrow their hands, bring their elbows in, and slide forward on their seat to get weight forward.

So their are pros and cons, wide bars because its the latest and greatest isnt a reason for wide bars

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    I'm rocking 560mm carbon bars on my XTC. Everyone talks about leverage, more control, etc., but I have zero complaints. If I was on a single speed, downhill, or planned on plowing through stuff on an all mountain bike it would be a different story. For XC racing and training these work just fine.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

Trail Ninja
    It's been mentioned that wider is more stable. I don't think anyone mentioned wider also gets different, maybe stronger, muscles involved.

Can you do a lot of "diamond" push-ups, with your hands together and your thumb and forefinger creating a diamond? How about further apart? If someone gives a light jolt to you, while in the up-position in either position, in which position can you resist it better? How about for pull-ups and various width grip positions? Can you stand on a balance ball and balance? With feet together? Balancing with 1 point touching the ground is hard. That's why chairs have wide base. Yes, you don't ride with your hands together, and I'm getting kind of far off with the examples, but point is, stability is not a bad thing.

IMO, go for ergonomics. I prefer a bar that promotes a slightly wider than shoulder width grip width. For me, that's about 710, with 740mm being the wide end and 685mm being the narrow end of my comfort range. I prefer the 740 over the 685 though, since I like the stability.

I don't see any advantage to narrow, other than weight, clearance, in rare circumstances, and aerodynamics at higher speeds. Please, anyone, point out another advantage of narrow bars, and don't say you look as cool as a fixie rider. Wonder if DH guys will start paying attention to aerodynamics again (ex. skinsuits and aero helmets).

Just like you can't say go wide due to being a trend, and being the latest and greatest, you can't say go narrow because you've seen most strong climbers narrowing their hands and elbows. I could say maybe those strong climbers are used to roadie positions (Todd Wells?), but it's not wise to jump to conclusions without gathering sufficient information.

What I'm curious about, why are all these wider bars made into riser bars? What's the kink in the rise do exactly, that makes it better than or preferable over a flat bar? Just to raise the grips higher? Maybe cause they think people want a more "upright" riding position? Or maybe it was for DH where, they need the height for going down seriously steep slopes?

mtbr member
    the rise on the wider bars helps you keep your same body position in a wider hand stance since you use up more arm length to reach out farther to the side you'd have to bend a bit farther over to grip it but if there's a bit of rise to it it helps to cancel out the lean. I have 1/2" rise on my protaper 720 and that feels about the same as my 685 flats

mtbr member
    Veraxis, you make good points - larger muscles tend to be slower and less twitchy than finer muscles, so again stability in rough stuff where the bikes wheel is acting on your steering.

The 2 advantages that come with bars a few inches wider than chest - the 600mm and up range for me is less shoulder pain on endurance events and tree strikes.

I like my 690 bars, but I hit a lot of trees with em compared to the 660 flats - lots of my local singletrack is weaving in and out of trees - some would require a trackstand and hop on 750mm bars.

handling wise, its stability or responsive steering - they are mutually exclusive. If your trails are wide open then that is the only question you need to answer.

I reckon race tracks now are deliberately including some narrow openings and very tight switch's to make it a little harder for the wide barred 29er ?????

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by pharmaboy View Post
    I reckon race tracks now are deliberately including some narrow openings and very tight switch's to make it a little harder for the wide barred 29er ?????
    In the end, it's all about how big your rack is and whether or not you can get your rack through the trees.

Big Rack Standing Tall

Will it fit?

You think that's big? Check out the Syncros 1000mm...

syncros_2

At least they have a few narrower than the 1000mm...

syncros_1

Can you squeeze your rack through the trees?

l

mtbr member
    I like 29" bars on a 29er. I tried a 26" bar but it just felt wrong I won't ever go back to the small bars.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Yeah, well my 725 came with 552 and 223 but I swapped it out for a 677 and 221.

Seriously, I get what you are saying but I am guessing you just spoke a foreign language to the OP. lol

Hmmmm, I've been having to convert all the inch measurements to millimeters to know how wide people are talking about. Almost everything on a bike is in metric. Every bar, in all of our distributors catalogs are listed in millimeters. Come out of the dark ages and embrace the metric system.

I'm running a 740mm bar on a 70mm stem. I like the width, but am considering a 50mm stem.

My last bar was 725mm and the bar before that 710mm. Every time I go wider, I feel awkward for a ride or two and then get used to it and like the wider bar. I think I've found my sweet spot for my trail bike with the 740mm bar.
    Disclaimer: I no longer fix bikes for a living.
    National Ski Patroller to feed my winter habit.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by dwnhlldav View Post
    Hmmmm, I've been having to convert all the inch measurements to millimeters to know how wide people are talking about. Almost everything on a bike is in metric. Every bar, in all of our distributors catalogs are listed in millimeters. Come out of the dark ages and embrace the metric system.
    I wish we would. We tried years ago, but c'est la vie.

How many countries in the entire world don't use the metric system?

Not a heck of a lot....

go-metric

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Reading this thread because I'm wondering about bars myself. Hope its not a hijack but I'm just throwing my thoughts out there.

I'm new to mt. Bikes. When I first got mine I felt like I was just along for the ride. After a month I started to feel more in control and started to feel how I felt on the bike.

I feel like I'm leaning too far forward. I don't know what the mm of my stem is but I'd guess around 110 based on what I've seen. I have maybe a 720 to 740mm wide flat bar.

I moved my seat forward all the way on the rails and that helped a little.

I don't know anything about geometry all I want is the right feel. I'm going to start with a 780 mm answer pro taper bar with a 1" rise. Ill ride it for awhile and make a cut or two as needed. I am also thinking of a shorter stem but going to try one thing at a time and see how it goes.

Sorry for the typos, this was done on my phone and I'm all thumbs. Yeah, weak joke.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Its been my experience that most 29 riders need wider bars and shorter stems than bikes typically come equipped with. Its an obvious enough problem that I dont really see how it can be an accident. I think its just a way to sell more aftermarket parts and bike fittings.

Elitest thrill junkie
    780s on my 29er FS bike and my 26er fatbike. Here's what I notice: Pedaling out of the saddle is MUCH easier with these long bars. Very difficult to do with narrow bars and be comfortable/have leverage. Helps a lot with acceleration (fatbike, 29er, etc).
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    if you're in the market for a new handlebar, buy something wider than what you need. cut a little off the ends if you think it's too wide until you find the sweet spot. I feel at home on 685/710mm bars (that's about 27-28 inches).
    Or move the grips in until you find the sweet spot and cut once.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    The only way to properly set up a handlebar is like this --

1 Thumb Shifters - Flipped over. Right side front, Left side back.

2 Bar-end shifter for rear derailleur. Climbing out of the saddle with a bar-end shifter is nifty.

3 Inboard bar-ends for an alternate hand position. Works great for steep climbs. Provides extra torque from bar-ends while still allowing access to the brake levers with the pinky and ring finger of my hands.

Titec Flat Tracker Titanium Flat Bar. 25 inches wide, 11 degree bend. I think it weighs less than 200 grams.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 29er handlebar width ???-toms-custom-inboard-bar-ends-remote-shifter-01.jpg  

29er handlebar width ???-toms-custom-inboard-bar-ends-remote-shifter-02.jpg  

29er handlebar width ???-toms-custom-inboard-bar-ends-remote-shifter-03.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    All kidding aside, material and sweep are as important as width for me. All of my bars have 10-17 degrees of sweep. The most comfortable bend ergonomically is probably my Salsa Moto Ace bar at 26" wide but it's much stiffer than my titanium bars (25"). Although they don't have as much bend the ride quality of titanium makes them about as comfortable as my Moto-Ace.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I've been using the Easton Havoc carbon bar 750mm for about 8 months already. However this morning I have to cut it down to 730mm because when I use the 750mm in my local trail I always hit trees, which isn't fun during high speed.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    I wish we would. We tried years ago, but c'est la vie.

How many countries in the entire world don't use the metric system?

Not a heck of a lot....
    Thought about this recently. Apart from the benefit of using NM with nautical and aeronautical navigation due to the lines of latitude and conversion from degrees to NM (super easy with english, no easy way to do with metric),

The main benefit is the words are shorter for us lazy americans. If only the metric system didn't have such long words like nanometer, milliliter, kilogram....we got yards. inch, cups and tons...lol.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3