mtbr member
    Apr 2009

29er frame sizing

Hey there folks,

Currently I am riding a 19" frame on 26" wheels (06 kona dawg deluxe for those interested). It's just a little small, but I got a longer seatpost and a longer stem and it fits mighty comfortably now. But recently I've gotten interested in trying out a 29er and was wondering if the frame sizing is similar. Specifically an older 19" Unit 2-9 frame. My only concern is that the 26" frame is essentially a large (3 sizes smaller and one bigger), but the 29er is medium (2 sizes on each side). I know I should just go ride it, but it's an hour or two drive out. I don't want to do that for naught. Thanks for any input. (I'm about 6'3 with a 34" inseam if that helps).

Stayin' Puft
    I am almost exactly those dimensions 6'3" and 34 inseam. I generally ride a "large" size, I have a 20" Vassago Jabberwocky right now, I had a "Large" Niner hardtail frame and I also have a 20" Salsa El Mariachi. Many might have suggested I go to an XL size frame with a shorter stem (I run a 120 stem, and a non-offset seatpost with my seat most of the way back.) I tend to prefer the handling of a smaller bike, but a "medium" in most cases is going to be way too small for me.

Sizing up is pretty much what I would have done on a 26" bike. Start with your preferred effective top tube length, and then just ensure you are comfortable with the standover height (since your legs are a little on the short side for your height.) After that, make sure your relative saddle-to-bars height can be dialed in without too many headset spacers, and you should be good to go. I generally look for a taller head tube, because I hate running a lot of headset spacers.

ballbuster

'Inches' means...

Quote Originally Posted by emergencyexit
    Hey there folks,

Currently I am riding a 19" frame on 26" wheels (06 kona dawg deluxe for those interested). It's just a little small, but I got a longer seatpost and a longer stem and it fits mighty comfortably now. But recently I've gotten interested in trying out a 29er and was wondering if the frame sizing is similar. Specifically an older 19" Unit 2-9 frame. My only concern is that the 26" frame is essentially a large (3 sizes smaller and one bigger), but the 29er is medium (2 sizes on each side). I know I should just go ride it, but it's an hour or two drive out. I don't want to do that for naught. Thanks for any input. (I'm about 6'3 with a 34" inseam if that helps).
    ... nothing.

Look for Top Tube length... or effective top tube. Make that the same as other frames you like. The length of the seat tube really doesn't make a bit of difference in how the frame fits you.

I had a 16" K2 Razorback frame and a 19.5" Giant Yukon frame, and they were the same size with 23" top tubes... which was really too short for me. I later got a large stumpjumper (18") with a 24.25" top tube, and that was spot on.

BTW, I'm 5'10" and 'Large' frames fit me best. I have a 19" Redline Monocog 29er with a 24.5" TT and a Motobecane Fantom 18" with a 24" top tube. Both fit me well with slight adjustments made in the stem length.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    IMO 19" frame is pretty small for 6'3", but whatever floats your boat. I'm 6' and have 2 29ers. Both are classified as large, but one is 20" (24.5" TT) and the other is 17.3" (23.6" TT).

Go by reach (TT plus stem/bar).
    Idaho

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    So I just took a few measurements of my bikes. I don't know how fitting differs from road to mountain, but my road bike has a tt length of 23.6" + 100 mm stem so I guess that puts the effective top tube to about 27.5". My track bike is just about the same with an top tube plus stem ringing in at 28". My current mountain rig, which I think is a bit small for me has the combo at 27" (24.3 + stem) (maybe I could use a longer stem here hehe)'

The frame I am looking at is 23.9" plus a stem. With all of you guys'/gals' input I think I have successfully talked myself out of a bike that is too small for me. Thank you much.

Anybody got a big ole 29er ss they want to pass on my way?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I'm 6'5" and wish I had a XXL frame. If I were in your shoes, it'd be XL, no question.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Keep in mind that if your road bike has drop bars, the reach is out to the shifters, not just the end of the stem.
    Idaho