mtbr member
    Jan 2017

29er frame with longer shock to raise BB for 27.5 wheels

Hello,
    I have a Lapierre TR329
    It comes as a 29er but I would love to use it with some bigger tires as a 27.5"
    I already have the wheels so it is just a matter of swapping them.
    Slight problem comes from the fact that the BB is a bit low and I found myself hitting stuff with the pedals.
    I have looked for some offset bushing(or bolts as Lapierre uses some) but I am thinking:
    - Wouldn't be easier to install a 190mm eye to eye instead of the 184 i Have? I have found sweet deal on one and I could get rid of the CTD EVO that I have ....

Never done mods like this and I would like to know some opinions.
    Thanks!

MTB B'dos
    Yes, you possibly could, but you would have to check clearances on your frame to see if it can take the longer shock, then you have to know that if your bike is still under warranty, it will void it, then there's the actual performance of the suspension. Since it was not designed around a longer shock you could get some unwanted things happening. Also being an after market shock, do you know the tune and if it is the right one for your frame?

I also have a frame that uses the same 184x44 shock size as yours and have the room to fit a 190x50 and yes, there are quite a few shocks on sale at that size, but you have to decide just how much you want to gamble $$ wise to see if it'll work, if the suspension will still perform good, if the frame will withstand the added possible stress the longer shock will maybe bring etc , etc
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    There is room for a longer shock so thats not a problem. These are the pbvious things to start to look for.
    I know Lapierre installs on some of their frames an offset top mount for the shock to go for example from 27.5" to 26" or vice versa.
    Also thinking on buying similar tune for the shock.

What I dont know is how will this affect riding quality and my frame.
    Also lots of riders use offset bushing so I am thinking wouldn't this be more or less same think?!

mtbr member
    Another idea would be to raise the travel on your fork by 10mm or install a taller bottom headset cup if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk