awesome

... and if we just ... 29er frame for a 5'4 guy

What's a good 29er frame for a 5'4 guy? Ht only please...thanks.

Reviewer/Tester
    Price range???

R.
    It is inevitable ...

awesome
    Right! $0-$1000...

Reviewer/Tester
    Hmmm...you have a LOT of options ...

I'm biased, I like Niner bikes ... but there are some nice frames around for that amount of money.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    IMHO you'll feel a lot better proportioned and have to make less compromises to fit and handling if you stick with 26" wheels at your height. This is of course assuming you are not talking a custom rigid specific steed - which I guess you're not at that price range.

Sam

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Take a look at QBall bikes, he makes the small size with a 22.5 effective TT. Depending on your proportions it might work for you. I would save a few extra bucks and look at getting a custom frame with non sus geometry. I know that Scott Quiring has built a few frames for riders the same size as you. Search threads posted by J-Rad, he is 5'4". If a QBall will work for you it can be built as a SS for around $ 1,000.00.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thanita at Dirt Rag did a test of a 29er a few issues back. Check their web site, maybe the review is still up. She's in the 5'2" to 5'4" range.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Soma Juice

The small frame has loads of standover and handles well.
    No problems with toe overlap. It has plenty of room to run a front deralleur and just as easy to run single speed.

The small EMD (or the other Niners) are also a good fit for your height.

There are frames that will have fit conflicts and I guess those are the ones that make people think 29ers are unsuitable for shorter riders.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Just noticed you're after a frame - so yes, a custom frame with dedicated rigid fork is probably the way to go if you want to avoid toe overlap. If that doesn't concern you and you're set on the big wheels the shorter etts of those mentioned above may work out for you.

Sam

awesome
    Thanks for the good info.

BTW the bike tested by Thanita at Dirt Rag is a Voodoo Dambala.

small member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dblspeed
    Thanks for the good info.

BTW the bike tested by Thanita at Dirt Rag is a Voodoo Dambala.
    Which size's Dambala?

i assume it's the 2007 model with the bent down tube?

What are the test's bottom line?

Sofa King We Todd Did
    I just posted this a couple of day ago. 5'4" male rider on this 16" Surly Karate Monkey. It's aces.

Recovering couch patato
    The ultimate small-people-29"er is still a custom, till someone offers one stock : short enough top tube without overly steep seat tube angle. No overly slack head tube angle, and lots of offset in the fork to get handling to match the rider a bit.
    Cheap custom, talk to Spicer perhaps?

awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by wedge
    Which size's Dambala?

i assume it's the 2007 model with the bent down tube?

What are the test's bottom line?
    The bike she tested was a first production run 15" (now it' just 16" and 14", which I would go with) and you can find the review here:

http://www.dirtragmag.com/print/arti...=stuff_reviews

The bottom line is:

"So, would I recommend the Dambala to small folk? That would depend on the type of terrain you'd be riding. If I had to choose, it'd be a tough decision; it delivers a smooth ride and lots of speed, but in technical, tight AND twisty singletrack (which there's lots of on my local trails), I still find a 26" wheeled bike more maneuverable. For not so small folk, I'd say the Dambala is a great choice for anyone looking for a reasonably priced, extremely versatile steel 29er. You can get the three largest sizes through any bike shop (Voodoo is distributed through Bicycle Technologies International—BTI—a wholesale parts distributor); for the three smaller sizes, you need to contact Voodoo directly to check availability."

awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    The ultimate small-people-29"er is still a custom, till someone offers one stock : short enough top tube without overly steep seat tube angle. No overly slack head tube angle, and lots of offset in the fork to get handling to match the rider a bit.
    Cheap custom, talk to Spicer perhaps?
    Where do I find him? Aso do lyou know of any good euro based 29er frame builders? Thanks

..of the masses..
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    The ultimate small-people-29"er is still a custom,
    what would you call short?

i have a height complex. my dad is 6 ft 3. my younger brother around 6 ft 1. as are all my male cousins. let it suffice to say, save one female cousin, and my mother, i am the shortest member in my family. i am 5 ft 9. i often find myself in need of greater standover height. my current bike, a 26er, affords 29 inches of it. i have been thinking of building up a rigid single speed.

so, am i small people and would i benefit from going custom as far as 29ers go?

kindly choose your answers carefully. i have mad ip poaching skills, and i own hunting knives. with strawberry handles. deadly, but chic.

BMX'er getting big wheels
    5'9 isn't even kinda short dude, that's average in most places. Out here in farm country, seems like I'm the shortest one here (I'm 5'7"), I saw one guy that works at the local feed store that I seriously though might get stuck in the fork lift he was driving.

Strawberry handles eh? I'll stick to my Ka-Bar.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    well, i'm exactly the same 5' 4" vertically challenged as you are dblspeed. i started out with a small surely karate monkey (God bless that bike) on the trails. i loved it so much i went over to Wes Williams here in Austin. He built me up a custom Ti Willets Trail King. I gotta tell you i thought the monkey rode good...this Willets is the best riding bike i've ever owned. i love this bike when riding anything from steep technical down hills (which we have quite a bit here in austin) to just flat out hammering the flats. i even commute 18 miles one way to work on this bike because it rides so good. my old road bike had two flats one day and my wife was bummed i couldn't ride with her. she said i couldn't keep up with her serrotta. i said you just git yer butt on that bike and we'll see how this Willets'll do. after 70 miles averging 17.5 she sheddup. yeah, i drafted her and i was hurtin' but damn that bike can ride.

Before she was built, Wes took a look at my surely (i didn't want to say monkey because...well that sounds funny) then he asked me to ride it around a bit. then he said that's it, i'll build your bike. this bike fits me like a glove, handles extremely well in the tight single track, accelerates like a rocket and just flat kicks butt.

as for those big ole 29" rollers? one of the biggest advantages i can tell right off is the amount control i have braking down steep drops that around here are usually covered in scree. i weigh in at a full 153 on a good day, 140 if i've been riding a lot but with my sugar and epic i'd just maintain a conrolled fall more than anything else--i just couldn't get any traction. but the 29ers provide a bigger patch of rubber on the ground which means less sliding around and more controlled rolling.

as for toe overlap i'm running a Reba with 168.5 cranks. i have about 1.5 inches between my tire (2.3) and toe.

go get your hard tail 29er. i'll never go back to FS because the big tires take up a LOT of rough stuff.

conjoinicorned
    i'm 5'6", but that's at least close

i ride a 16" on-one inbred, I absolutely love it. but i do have toe overlap, 1.5" of clearance means you have embarssingly small feet IMO.

the toe overlap does not cause a problem on trails, just an occasionally scary noise. find the TT length of whatever bike you ride/love right now, and see if there is a production 29er with a similar TT length, you'll be more than happy if there is.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday
    i'm 5'6", but that's at least close

i ride a 16" on-one inbred, I absolutely love it. but i do have toe overlap, 1.5" of clearance means you have embarssingly small feet IMO.

the toe overlap does not cause a problem on trails, just an occasionally scary noise. find the TT length of whatever bike you ride/love right now, and see if there is a production 29er with a similar TT length, you'll be more than happy if there is.
    Hell, at 5'9", I've hit my knees more on my front tire than I have my foot - riding a Surly KM, FWIW. Incidentally, my 5'4" wife rides a 16" Karate Monkey (she has ~ 30" inseam), and it fits her VERY well.

If you're serious about custom, WaltWorks are pretty sweet, and he'll even make a 29er for a 5'0" woman (friend of ours in San Fran)

BTW, she LOVES it.

awesome
    That WW looks sweet.