mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Which 29er frame... 2009 Stumpjumper or 2013 Rockhopper

The RH is a tapered headset, but the Stumpy's a better alloy it seems.

Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    I'm pretty sure the newer rockhopper frame is a clone of the previous generation Stumpjumper.

The tapered headset will allow you to run both straight and tapered forks, while the Stumpjumper will limit you to straight forks only.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Couple of things I'm pondering... both 19" frames...

The Stumpy frame (actually 2010) is made in Taiwan vs China...
    The Stumpy frame is M5 alloy vs. A1 alloy...
    The Stumpy chainstay is 436mm vs 442mm
    The Stumpy headtube angle 72 vs 71 degrees
    The Stumpy toptube length 586mm vs 594mm
    The Stumpy wheelbase 1097mm vs 1114mm

I don't have an accurate way to gauge weight for anything over 2 kilos... no idea there. Rockhopper has the tapered headtube which us a lighter-stiffer arrangement, but how important is that compared to everything else?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I would care about geometry more than anything. The Stumpy is more raceish XC than Rockhopper.

Are we sure the rockhopper has a tapered headset? I'm pretty sure it ships via 1 1/8 straight...but is it capable of tapered?

FORK: RockShox XC28 29, TurnKey hydraulic damping w/ lock out, coil spring, 1-1/8" alloy steerer, mag disc only post mount lower, 28mm steel stanchion, preload and rebound adj., 80mm & 100mm travel
    HEADSET: Integrated 1-1/8" w/ lower bearing reducer, Campy-style, full cartridge bearings
    Lower bearing reducer makes me think it is capable of tapered....just wanna make sure

Another consideration. I'm pretty sure the Rockhopper Medium and larger ships with 100mm fork. Is the stumpy setup for 80mm?

EDIT: OK i just verified the 2009 Stumpy is setup for 80mm:

Specialized Bicycle Components

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I think you're right about the 80mm setup for the Stumpy, and I do like the geometry better with regard to the items I've listed.

Rockhopper is definitely set up for 1.5/1.25 forks and 100mm travel, although it comes with Suntour XCM 100mm... which would not be used. I wonder if the 80mm travel vs 100mm travel spec frame would be a factor to consider?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidHarsay View Post
    I think you're right about the 80mm setup for the Stumpy, and I do like the geometry better with regard to the items I've listed.

Rockhopper is definitely set up for 1.5/1.25 forks and 100mm travel, although it comes with Suntour XCM 100mm... which would not be used. I wonder if the 80mm travel vs 100mm travel spec frame would be a factor to consider?
    That depends on axle to crown of the orig fork compared to new fork and sag setting. On my Scott Scale with 100mm XCR fork my A2C was 516mm. My new fork's (Xfusion Slide RL2) A2C was 506mm @ 100mm thus I lost 10mm of A2C and is kinda too steep, I'm running a bit high pressure on it to keep it from sagging too much. I'm eventually gonna have my fork changed to 120mm and sag it to about where it should be.

It all depends. If u end up making the front taller it will slacken the bike a little. I'm sure it can handle an additional 20mm just fine.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by DavidHarsay View Post
    Couple of things I'm pondering... both 19" frames...

The Stumpy frame (actually 2010) is made in Taiwan vs China...
    ?
    The Rockhopper is welded in Taiwan as well, I just pulled the sticker off mine

The biggest three factors are geometry, the 80 vs 100mm forks, and weight. Personally, the 80mm fork and dated components of a 2009 stumpy(although a great frame) would be a huge turnoff to me. I race XC on my rockhopper and I really like the geometry(I have changed the stem and bars though). I'd go for a new bike for the peace of mind as well...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    2013 Rockhopper 29- The hot rod fun bike
    2013 Stumpy HT Comp 29- The racin' machine

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    my 2012 RH after I upgraded the fork to a reba RL ( 100mm ), "lost" the 44 front ring, put an XT SGS in the rear, SLX shifters and a flat bar it's quite capable on single trails... next upgrade: wheels and cassette.. I'll go for an 11-32

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Cenzobear View Post
    The Rockhopper is welded in Taiwan as well, I just pulled the sticker off mine

The biggest three factors are geometry, the 80 vs 100mm forks, and weight. Personally, the 80mm fork and dated components of a 2009 stumpy(although a great frame) would be a huge turnoff to me....
    Well, I'm just looking at the frames, components are not a factor... although there are a few subtle updates on how components do fit. I have both frames. The RH's sticker under the top-tube says China whereas the Stumpy's Taiwan. Not sure if that means anything.

I want to sell one and keep the other. Decisions decisions.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Ataru... Yeah, the stock forks on the RH are almost 6lbs for one... compared to 3.5 for the RS Reba RL. Two, they work better. Three, half of that weight is un-sprung.

The bare RH wheels are about 1000g front and 1200g rear. So wheels are about 2-3lbs, but I'm not sure where the bargains are. I'm using Stans Arch EX wheels with tubeless tires, and it's 1500g for the front fully dressed (tires, brake rotors, skewer) compared to somewhere well north of 2,000 grams (scale stops there).

Not knocking the RH... just want to understand how much better the Stumpy frame is, with the different alloy if it's lighter/stiffer, or more durable, and if the subtle geo changes are worth giving up the updated tapered 100mm fork setup.

mtbr member

The general consensus is that Taiwan tends to produce a higher quality frame than china, not sure of the reasons why though.

I would go for the rockhopper, if current trends continue, all Rockshox forks will be tapered in the near future. Many XC bikes are now also moving to 100+mm travel (SID 120 for example) with the advent of newer, more efficient dampers and remote lockout systems. The rockhopper frame may be slightly heavier, but it's still very possible for you to build a 25lb bike easily. The slacker head angle makes it a little more stable when things go downhill and provides a little more comfort for endurance racing, so so the seat stays. And the red and white one looks pretty damn good... Haha
    2013 Rockhopper 29- The hot rod fun bike
    2013 Stumpy HT Comp 29- The racin' machine