mtbr member
    Mar 2013

29er Fork Upgrade - Rockhopper

I bought a practically brand new Specialized Rockhopper 29er back in February and knew that I would want to upgrade the fork and derailluers at some point. After riding pretty often for a few months, I've noticed what needs to be changed on the bike to improve it, and what can remain. I plan to change the the front and rear derailleur to SLX type, rear cassette to the HG61 12-36 29er, and the fork.

Now, I have a question about forks in 2013. Rockshox's used to have a Reba RLT Ti 100, 120, 140mm, and maybe 80mm too. Now I'm finding its either Reba RL/RLT 100, or Sid RCT3 (or XX) 100 or 120mm.

Is there no option for 140mm anymore? Do I really need a 140mm fork? Do I even need a 120mm fork? I rarely bottomed out the terrible Suntour 80mm fork that's currently on my bike anyhow, I just always wish it had more travel and better damping, etc.

So, whats up with 2013? Why has Rockshox limited the lineup travel?

At this point I plan to buy the Reba RL 100mm 29er, but my ears are open.

PS: Sorry for the messy post, I'm about to head out for a bit!

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    Well, considering you have a "recreation" hardtail, 100mm is all that you need. I do not believe that there is a 140mm fork for 29er bikes, as the 140 is a good All-Mountain fork. I believe more than 120mm on a hardtail to be overkill, so the 100 will be fine. Rebas come with a rebound adjustment and an air valve, so the fork is very customizable.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    Well, considering you have a "recreation" hardtail, 100mm is all that you need. I do not believe that there is a 140mm fork for 29er bikes, as the 140 is a good All-Mountain fork. I believe more than 120mm on a hardtail to be overkill, so the 100 will be fine. Rebas come with a rebound adjustment and an air valve, so the fork is very customizable.
    Yes, 80mm will be correct for the bike geometry although it may take 100mm and still handle well. If the trails are rough I prefer 100mm travel even on 29er and my Reba has been great!
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Alright thanks guys. Reba RL 100mm it is for me

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Quote Originally Posted by dahmwern View Post
    Alright thanks guys. Reba RL 100mm it is for me
    I just installed reba rlt on mine and love it ( 100mm). Still tuning it. Use the Allen key to adjust small bump complicate and turn the compression lock out around half way. Don't want brake dive or pedal bobbing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Djstorm100 View Post
    I just installed reba rlt on mine and love it ( 100mm). Still tuning it. Use the Allen key to adjust small bump complicate and turn the compression lock out around half way. Don't want brake dive or pedal bobbing.
    Any reason you chose the RLT over the RL for the Rockhopper?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Low speed compression is easiest to adjust via knob vs Allen wrench.

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    The Reba is a terrific fork. I put a Reba XX on my 2012 Rockhopper and the improvement over the stock fork was dramatic. After riding it at 80mm for a while I switched it to 100mm by removing the internal spacer in the air spring, and found that the bike had better control on descents and in rough stuff at speed but the front end of the bike was too high and climbing more difficult. (An even more dramatic improvement came with my more recent switch to a Stumpjumper with SID RCT3 at 90mm).

You would not want more than 100mm front suspension travel on this bike, and even 100mm is somewhat questionable as it raises the bars a full 2cm above what the geometry is designed for. Any more than that would likely cause more serious stability problems. Lots of travel up front and none on the rear does not make for a good ride. If you like the 100mm travel you can and should adjust the stem, spacers, and possibly bars to lower them in compensation for the excess height.

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Congrats on your new Reba! My Access 29er rides great with 100mm Reba (came with 80mm Tora, great fork but heavy), with 100mm it's still good in the tight twisty, climbs well, and much better when it gets rocky and/or steep down.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...